M4 - should the tube have a spring in it?

genieinthelamp

Recently purchased a new M4. Stock right now, so use your imagination for the picture. :)

Anyway, I was assembling it (no problems with the bolt insertion, as some others seem to have had) but I'm curious if the tube should have a spring in it? I did not see one in the box..

Also, is there a FAQ for the M4 on this forum? I haven't broken it in yet, but want to make sure I clean it properly before I do (seems like CLP is the way to go).

Thanks in advance!

Umm, if there's no spring in the ammo tube, then the gun won't work, as the ammo won't get pushed down the tube to be loaded into the gun like it should. I suppose you could single load rounds into the chamber, but that's kind of dumb, the gun should come with a spring for it's ammo tube.

I'm sure Benelli would be happy to give you a spring, as somehow that gun didn't come with one. :) Maybe your dealer will have to contact them for you, not sure how that would work.

Umm, if there's no spring in the ammo tube, then the gun won't work, as the ammo won't get pushed down the tube to be loaded into the gun like it should.

It might work if fired in anti-aircraft mode (angle to the horizon greater than 75 degrees). Might be somewhat limiting in terms of practical use.

Guest cleefurd

I almost responded to this post a few times, but kept finding myself at a loss for words. Figured it was installed, having missed the obvious myself on occasion but thought; "Nah" -- "That only happens to me!" "Eventually I thought maybe this gentleman really DID get shorted a spring"....

ADAM2340's and Duggan's replies made it all worth the wait.