SBE II recomendations

gooser

I have an SBE II I use for goose hunting and want to use it for turkeys this spring. Can anyone recommend a sighting system and appropriate mounts? Red dot or holographic are my first thoughts. Gonna us Hevi-shot 3 1/2" #5's. Any recommendations on choke choices? Was looking at Comp N Chokes but unsure about constriction after reading some posts here. Thanks for any help!

I need to go look at the gun and see if it is tapped, just got done going thru a lot of posts and now know to look for the plastic plugs in the receiver.

To answer your question, last year I took the gun out turkey hunting for the first time and killed two birds with it. Had the mod choke and 3" #4 Hevi shots. Never patterned it. Shame on me. Dropped both dead in their tracks at 30-35yds. Getting serious now and picked up a few different loads, thought about getting a dedicated turkey choke hence the questions. Standard sights work but are difficult for my aging eyes so thought about the red dot. Would like something easy on easy off as I use the gun almost every day during goose season.

To answer your question, last year I took the gun out turkey hunting for the first time and killed two birds with it. Had the mod choke and 3" #4 Hevi shots. Never patterned it. Shame on me. Dropped both dead in their tracks at 30-35yds. Getting serious now and picked up a few different loads, thought about getting a dedicated turkey choke hence the questions. Standard sights work but are difficult for my aging eyes so thought about the red dot. Would like something easy on easy off as I use the gun almost every day during goose season.

Lots of issues here.

Hevi Shot 4's shoots very well in more open chokes, so your success is no surprise. Also, 30-35 yards is great shot on turks, I'm sure almost any shell would have worked.

I have no firm suggestion for a choke for Hevi Shot 5's because all guns tend to shoot all loads differently. What exact shell are you planning to shoot? I find the harder the shot, the less constriction it likes.

How do you plan to attach a red dot/holo sight? I know of no easy on, easy off, method of attachment that does not involve at least a base mount. Maybe a saddle mount would work? You can take it off pretty easily, but I'm not sure it will return to zero each time without checking the zero each time.

Shotguns are hard on red-dots. Some prefer heavy duty holos or other sights like that.

You may find more info at the NWTF boards.