Give your opinion on best 30-06 ammo

PutEmDown

Looking for help with ammo.

I had a very hard time finding the right ammo for my R 1 in 30-06. Tried all the expensive one's with horrible results. Then tried Fusion ammo 180 gr and got best results with that with TSX 180 gr coming in second place.

Am shooting 1.5 groups at 100yds with swarovksi scope with BR reticle but want to get better long range. Please give input on your opinion if should stick with the Fusion or try something else. Also, please give examples of shooting results. Thanks for my help and helping future people.

5 shots in 1.5" is extremely good for the R1, and it's exceptional for most mass-produced semi-auto sporting rifles.

If you want to shoot game in excess of 300 yards, you really need to switch to good quality bolt action rifle.

I got best results with the Federal Fusions in my R1 as well.

I have been shooting Fusion in my 7mm Rem Mag with good results. I just picked up an R-1 in 30/06 last night at Bass Pro for a steal($799). I plan to use Fusion ammo as well.

Note: Bass Pro in Hanover, VA has 4 more R-1's (all 30/06) all for $799.27 ea. They told me it was the only caliber available at that price. All are comfortech-blk

Daddyman,

I was back up there today. They told me that they were shipping one out to Wash. today.

My buddy ended up getting a .300 at that price. I looked Fri and couldn't find one; they found one in the back for him.:confused:

They do have one 30/06 left, doubt it will be there long.

• 4 months later...
5 shots in 1.5" is extremely good for the R1, and it's exceptional for most mass-produced semi-auto sporting rifles.

If you want to shoot game in excess of 300 yards, you really need to switch to good quality bolt action rifle.

I got best results with the Federal Fusions in my R1 as well.

Thank for the feedback. I appreciate it. Good to know I am using same ammo as someone else and that my results are typical. Was feeling bad about spending $1,500 bucks on a gun that did not perform as well as bolt action but I feel it serves it's purpose. Have a good one.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have the R1 in .308. If you can still find some Winchester Fail Safe on the shelves grab them....I bought all my local shop had when I heard Winchester was doing them in for the XP3 (which I have yet to try in this gun). Should last me a while. They are the best shooting out of my gun. At 100yds, it is consistently under 1". I tried several notable rounds when I bought my guns three years ago (therefore some of the latest stuff was not tested) and the fail safe's were by far the best. They performed great in the field on Northeast (larger bodied) whitetails as well.

I am a huge benelli shotgun owner and very pleased with the shotguns so I jumped on the rifle when it came out. I must say that Benelli could have been a little more help when I called about ammo reccomendations. In addition, watch the poorly placed magazine release if you hunt in thick cover as I have lost a couple $60 mags.

Otherwise...enjoy.