Looking for advice on becoming a waterfowler

AUTiger438

I live in the Richmond, VA area and I am looking to start waterfowling. I am interested in duck and goose hunting. I would like to get some information on shotguns. Stoeger M2000 is definitely in the budget. (Easy to hide from the wife). I would like to get a versatile gun as far as barrel length. What are the recommendations? How about shotgun load recommendations? I have done a some deer hunting, but have remained a bride's maid. I guess I am too impatient for deer.

I am glad to hear that the Stoeger m2 is the way to go. I know it will be tough to hide from the wife and you are right, once I get going it will tough, but it will give something to buy me for gifts. Not mention that I can play even steven on her clothes purchases.

How about the goose hunting? Same barrel length, but I am guessing heavier loads?

Stoeger M2000 is not the way to go, however Benelli M2 would be. If you want to stick to the Benelli family and are on a budget, start thinking Nova or Super Nova pump guns.

26 or 28" barrels depending on your taste should be fine.

As far as the hunt goes, see if you can hook up with some friends to sort of show you the ropes. I still learn new things every season from my senior hunting friends.

I am glad to hear that the Stoeger m2 is the way to go. I know it will be tough to hide from the wife and you are right, once I get going it will tough, but it will give something to buy me for gifts. Not mention that I can play even steven on her clothes purchases.

How about the goose hunting? Same barrel length, but I am guessing heavier loads?

well if your getting into geese specific yeah a longer barrel 28" or longer, but a good avg. barrel for all around hunting. for geese i use 3 1/2" BB's and do just fine! but believe it or not 3" #2's will bring down geese just as well. just a little less ummph. hope this helps ya out

Stoeger M2000 is not the way to go, however Benelli M2 would be. If you want to stick to the Benelli family and are on a budget, start thinking Nova or Super Nova pump guns.

26 or 28" barrels depending on your taste should be fine.

Ditto :)

I wouldn't accept a free M2000 - I have personally viewed maybe 5-6 of them malfunction in the blind.

stoegers are junk

x2!! had 2 friends get a stoger because they were cheaper then the benelli's well while my dads and my benelli's kept shooting theirs either got the barrel and the choke stuck with a factory "bump" that locked or had the whole action blow out of the bottom of the gun:eek: had another who bought a Franchi and it wouldnt shoot in the rain. we told all three of em to get a benelli but they wanted cheaper. havnt had a problem with any of mine... i love em!!

If your hunts arent long can only go a few times a year, never shoot clays, break in they way the claim you should, and may be only may be the M2000 will last a while.

I guess to each his own. I had one, been there, sent it back 4 times, waited, and watch it fail time and time again. No doubt there are similar stories with all brands. I later bought a Beretta and then a Winchester, both fine guns with no issues.

Live and learn.

i was going to use a stoeger as a back up gun for this next season purchased one and it never made it to the blind. broke at home while cleaning it. i have heard good things and bad about the 2000 if you do buy 1 hope you get a good one. as far as barrel length i shoot a 28 and use anything from number 4s on down depending on what im hunting ducks or geese. good luck your gun will be the least amount of money you will spend if you fall in love with waterfowling as i have. good luck

Ok... I get the drift...you get what you pay for. How about not going inertia driven and stick with a pump. Super Nova looks good for my budget. Actually could spend more, but not sure I want to sell any guns that I have, but I guess that is possibility. Super Nova 28"...good all around gun for entry level waterfowling and shooting clays?

Ok... I get the drift...you get what you pay for. How about not going inertia driven and stick with a pump. Super Nova looks good for my budget. Actually could spend more, but not sure I want to sell any guns that I have, but I guess that is possibility. Super Nova 28"...good all around gun for entry level waterfowling and shooting clays?

i have a Nova and love it!! i shoot a 26" barrel though... its been through everything and back again!! great gun

Check out the Beretta Xtrema 2, in the duck blind your gonna want a gun that is going to hold up against the conditions out there whether it be ice or some thick mud, the 3 1/2" with the 26" barrel is nice but personally I like the 28" better. The kick-off system works with those heavier loads if you're worried about recoil. The action and the reciever run nice and smooth and I haven't seen a problem with feeding either. I guided two different guys this year shooting Xtrema 2's and we hunted in some pretty ugly **** and both of these shotguns performed prefectly.

Its worth a shot to check it out at least.

Check out the Beretta Xtrema 2, in the duck blind your gonna want a gun that is going to hold up against the conditions out there whether it be ice or some thick mud, the 3 1/2" with the 26" barrel is nice but personally I like the 28" better. The kick-off system works with those heavier loads if you're worried about recoil. The action and the reciever run nice and smooth and I haven't seen a problem with feeding either. I guided two different guys this year shooting Xtrema 2's and we hunted in some pretty ugly **** and both of these shotguns performed prefectly.

Its worth a shot to check it out at least.

whos side are you on anyway?!? somebody kick this guy outta here!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys -

Thanks for all the help. I decided to trade in my Marlin 1895 SS 45-70 Gov't and I got the 12 Gauge Benelli NOVA Pump with a 28-inch barrel (black). Deceided to start with something less expensive and as I get bitten by the bug, I will upgrade.