Looking for advice on becoming a waterfowler

AUTiger438

I know you are looking for advice, and so far a lot about the gun but nothing mentioned about the other tools of the trade.

Consider at least one dozen good quality decoys. Get one good duck call with an instructional cd or dvd and learn to use it without it sounding like a cazoo. How about duck identification, pretty important stuff there too.

Best is to find a friend who can help you get your feet wet.

Thanks for starting to answer the other questions. Being new to not sure all the questions I should ask. Need to find someone in the Richmond, VA area to talk with and get to go out in the field/wetlands. Joined Ducks Unlimited and thought that would be a good starting point to get to know other waterfowlers. Eventually, I want to get the dog (lab or golden) and train it. I am looking to go full tilt on this.

I am really interested in Canadian Geese. So I guess I start with those decoys and I am planning on fixing up the old jon boat with a paint job and blinding a blind for it this spring. What other gear do I need to look at?

• 5 weeks later...
Thanks for starting to answer the other questions. Being new to not sure all the questions I should ask. Need to find someone in the Richmond, VA area to talk with and get to go out in the field/wetlands. Joined Ducks Unlimited and thought that would be a good starting point to get to know other waterfowlers. Eventually, I want to get the dog (lab or golden) and train it. I am looking to go full tilt on this.

I am really interested in Canadian Geese. So I guess I start with those decoys and I am planning on fixing up the old jon boat with a paint job and blinding a blind for it this spring. What other gear do I need to look at?

first of all black lab, and i would start on calling practice check out the original duck commander and art of commanding ducks dvd, the clothes look befor or after season for good deals

I dont know if you plan on going alone on this adventure but a good seasoned mentor could be a big help. Forget all the fancy stuff for now, concentrate on the basics. You can decided later what you want or need to invest your time and money in.

A good dog is always a bonus, but not a requirment - that dog will put those lost cripples back into your game bag and save you lots of steps too.

I dont know if you plan on going alone on this adventure but a good seasoned mentor could be a big help. Forget all the fancy stuff for now, concentrate on the basics. You can decided later what you want or need to invest your time and money in.

A good dog is always a bonus, but not a requirment - that dog will put those lost cripples back into your game bag and save you lots of steps too.

plus the dogs almost like a hunting partner but better

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...