Can You Tell me a Bit about my M4?

SamColt

I wanted to say Hi with my first post here and then apologize for asking questions that I probably could find by searching the interweb. I tried but got more and more confused the more I read.

I bought an M4 from a dealer a few years ago and I stuck it in the safe and almost forgot about it.

It's marked M4 on the side, no flag, has choke tubes, non collapsible stock, SureFire rail, And ghost ring sights. Says made in Italy.

I have read about US flags, 1014, 11701, 11707, thin walled barrels, low recoil barrels etc etc. I am going to start shooting her and want to know now if there is anything I need exchange like a barrel etc.

Thanks for any ideas of what I actually have here and what it might be worth NIB before I foul it up. I'm rough on my ARs and AKs so I don't expect I'll keep this in NIB status too much longer.

It sounds like a 11701 or 11703. It should say on the end of the box, or you can call benelli and they can tell you based on the serial number (I think anyways).

As far as stuff to worry about, no, nothing.

Even if you have an old profile barrel with 4 gas ports instead of 2, there is nothing "wrong" with the gun. It's not going to blow up if you shoot it.

Benelli just realized somewhere in production that certain tweaks should be made, and thus they were made. All guns that existed prior to those tweaks are not bad guns, they are just not the latest and greatest.

If it cycles rounds and you like how it shoots, I wouldn't worry about it.

Low recoil barrels are a myth (You may already have the "low recoil" 4 port barrel).

The barrel profile on all model m4s is perfectly fine, they just changed shape slightly in later models to better balance weight I beleive.

Shoot with confidence, or sell for profit if you'd prefer ... but I'd keep it for sure.

Thanks!

I got out in the shop and looked it over. Looks like 2 gas ports in the barrel and it's a model 11707. What does that mean if anything? Is that a generational thing?

I'm not going to sell it. I hate selling guns and I only have one other auto shotgun so I'm good to go.

Thanks again!

The 11707 is the latest generation of m4, it's the most recent revision.

You said your stock was non collapsible ... thus I ruled out the 11707, as the 11707 is the only model with a milled recoil tube to allow the stock to collapse.

I guess what you meant though is that you have a fixed pistol grip stock, and not a skeletonized non collapsible stock, as I assumed you meant.

What does it mean? It means you own the best shotgun in the world. Enjoy it.

Thanks!

Yep, it has a fixed pistol grip stock. If it's supposed to have a collapsible stock It wouldn't surprise me if the shop I got it from took the collapsible stock off and put this one on. Either way, the stock is the same as the M1 I sold a hundred years ago and I really like it so, I'm going to shoot the **** out of it.

Do you M4 gurus stock pile any spare parts? is there anything I should stick away just in case?

Thanks again for all the help.

My 11707 had these markings on the end of the box:

M4 LR STD LE COLL

APSE REC

It did not come with the collaspable stock but had the pistol grip stock. I assume the "COLL" means the tube will accept the collaspable stock. Is that what you were referring to when you said it should have come with one?

The 11707 doesn't normally ever come with a skeletonized stock.

The recoil tube is just milled to accept a collapsible stock and allow it to collapse.

That is the difference between it and the earlier models.

The m1014s came with a skeletonized stock, but they didn't have a milled recoil tube.

The 11707s have a fixed pistol grip stock and a milled recoil tube.

You need both if you want a collapsible stock.

Make sense? :)