M4; what tools do I need to install a Mesa rail, Carriercomp tube, Meprolight sights?

Ligament

Hi All,

I'm a new M4 owner and have already ordered the following upgrades:

1. Mesa tactical 8 round sidesaddle

2. Carriercomp titanium tube

3. Meprolight night sights

These are all coming in the mail this week. I'd like to have the necessary tools ready to install them as soon as they arrive. Can you all tell me which tools I'll need and even possibly where to order them online?

Thanks in advance!:D

Guest cleefurd

• 5.5 mm open ended wrench for the front sight.
  • Just a screw driver for the rear (catch the spring).
  • Heatgun, toothbrush, and acetone for the tube.

Thanks cleefurd!

what should I look for when buying a heat gun for this purpose? I have a Home Depot nearby perhaps I can rent one?

Also, I believe I need a torque screwdriver to mount the Mesa shell holder properly. Any suggestions?

• 5.5 mm open ended wrench for the front sight.
  • Just a screw driver for the rear (catch the spring).
  • Heatgun, toothbrush, and acetone for the tube.

Any heat gun will do. They are cheap, and you only need to get the loctite to just above hair dryer levels to melt it and allow the tube to come free.

As far a torque screwdriver ... I have no idea? I think the mesa shell holder with it's new screws should just screw in until snug?

But I'm not machinist ... I'm just in before Cleefurd.

Guest cleefurd

Having never dealt with the Mesa product mentioned, I can only speculate here... are you referencing the "TORX" type screw?? Or a true torque in/lbs spec for proper installation?? If it's the former, it's a readily available bit similar to an allen type, with more of a "star" look to the points of the corners. If the latter... torque spec's for proper install, contact them directly for recommendations.

As for the heat-gun, Duggan nailed it. They are cheap, and you'll find a dozen uses for it down the road. Harbor Freight sells one in the $9-$11 range depending on in-store price/sale status.

Hi cleefurd the manual states I should tighten the screws for the Mesa shell holder to 15 in/lbs. The screws themselves take a flat head driver.

Having never dealt with the Mesa product mentioned, I can only speculate here... are you referencing the "TORX" type screw?? Or a true torque in/lbs spec for proper installation?? If it's the former, it's a readily available bit similar to an allen type, with more of a "star" look to the points of the corners. If the latter... torque spec's for proper install, contact them directly for recommendations.

As for the heat-gun, Duggan nailed it. They are cheap, and you'll find a dozen uses for it down the road. Harbor Freight sells one in the $9-$11 range depending on in-store price/sale status.