Was I too Ethical?

BigwhiteZ

I walked in this morning and got putted at from over head.:eek: I found a place (quietly) to sit down and was 30 yards from a tom with about a 10" beard. When day broke he gobbled his head off for 30 minutes before pitching down. I could have pegged him with a 410 with #8's he was so close to me. Had my nerves tore up with all his tripple gobblin that he did.

I wouldn't shoot him (even after it was plenty of light) until he pitched down. He didn't see me, but he pitched toward a place that they have been feeding. Needless to say, I was unsuccessful in harvesting him.

I must admit, I sort of regret it now, guess I'm lookin for someone to say "ya did the right thing" :D

just as concilation i am 14 and love hunting deer. have gone out for 3 years now unsucessfully now and still love it. but needless to say i have passed on shots to one at a 2 by two. and a couple at some does. wheather they are two small to far or in front of a house i have passed up some shots i ish i could have taken so dont worry you'll get him. just like i will this year on a $1000 guided hunt that a friend got his buddy to give me. you cant co out there and not see a couple 6 by sixes at the least:rolleyes: im happy and stay smused with ducks:D

You mentioned he went to a place where they have BEEN feeding, would it be possible to set up close to that feeding spot?

It's much easier to get a turkey if you already where he wants to be. Just a suggestion..

Calling Captain Obvious, Captian Obvious, please meet your party by the white courtesy loading area :D

I'll add in that you might want to try to shoot a turkey in the head with a dense pattern of shotshell pellets. Just a suggestion :)

i took a young 10 year old boy on his first turkey hunt last year. we set up just like you did, right under the bird. we watched him gobble all morning before he pitched down and left farm. could we have shot him off the roost? yes. did we no we didn't. that young man fully understood about not shooting that bird outta the tree. this spring he will be a little bigger.

Captain Obvious was obviously missing at the beginning of this hunt. When he steps out, he is replaced with another thing called Experience. Not everyone realizes this and learns from it. That is where others reach out and try to help them with a friendly tip that may or may not change the outcome of the next hunt.

Obviously :D

I guess if season was open, and he didn't see you while you were close enough to shoot him, the turkey blundered and could have died with no question of ethics. Sometimes your quarry does things that seem like it's "too easy", to capitalize on this and fill your tag doesn't make you lazy, it's lucky.

If you climbed your deer stand and saw a nice 10 pointer laying in range unaware of your presence would ya shoot him? Maybe a more ethical method would be to make him aware of his mistake before you shoot? NOT!!!

You are the one who has to look at yourself in the mirror every day. In Illinois it is illegal to dispatch (kill) a deer that has been struck by a vehicle and is still alive. I'd shoot it, so it wouldn't suffer. Give me a ticket. It is also legal to shoot ducks on the water. I don't do that. Some do.

• 4 weeks later...
just as concilation i am 14 and love hunting deer. have gone out for 3 years now unsucessfully now and still love it. but needless to say i have passed on shots to one at a 2 by two. and a couple at some does. wheather they are two small to far or in front of a house i have passed up some shots i ish i could have taken so dont worry you'll get him. just like i will this year on a $1000 guided hunt that a friend got his buddy to give me. you cant co out there and not see a couple 6 by sixes at the least:rolleyes: im happy and stay smused with ducks:D

Posts like this are what prompted me to join this forum.

Wise fouteen year old gentlemen. Be a good son to have.

• 3 weeks later...
I walked in this morning and got putted at from over head.:eek: I found a place (quietly) to sit down and was 30 yards from a tom with about a 10" beard. When day broke he gobbled his head off for 30 minutes before pitching down. I could have pegged him with a 410 with #8's he was so close to me. Had my nerves tore up with all his tripple gobblin that he did.

I wouldn't shoot him (even after it was plenty of light) until he pitched down. He didn't see me, but he pitched toward a place that they have been feeding. Needless to say, I was unsuccessful in harvesting him.

I must admit, I sort of regret it now, guess I'm lookin for someone to say "ya did the right thing" :D

Ethical is what you consider a good and clean kill , with most of us its not really about the kill its what leads up to the kill and that is the Hunt and if it were always that simple it would be called a Grocery store ,well you know what i mean , Hats off to you you did the right thing , so keep doing what you do , and youll have no regrets when you look back .