Cleaning magazine tube-Sport II

Geno

Debris can enter the magazine tube when loading shells/hunting cornfields or cat-tails and hinder the operation. My other Benelli had a threaded magazine tube cover which could be unscrewed, the spring and follower removed, and then the tube could be swabbed out and reassembled. This gun, and maybe other models, seems to have a solid machined "end cap" with no threads to unscrew and I'm wondering if anyone knows how to perform this function-there must be a way but I can't figure it out. Take a look at your Supersport, Cordoba, SBE II or any of the newer models and see if yours is the same. Y :confused: our help is appreciated

Originally posted by Geno:

Debris can enter the magazine tube when loading shells/hunting cornfields or cat-tails and hinder the operation. My other Benelli had a threaded magazine tube cover which could be unscrewed, the spring and follower removed, and then the tube could be swabbed out and reassembled. This gun, and maybe other models, seems to have a solid machined "end cap" with no threads to unscrew and I'm wondering if anyone knows how to perform this function-there must be a way but I can't figure it out. Take a look at your Supersport, Cordoba, SBE II or any of the newer models and see if yours is the same. Y :confused: our help is appreciated

Hi!

I asked the same questions to Benelli's support. The answer is:

Magazine tube doesn't need to be disassemled. Just remove barrel, trigger group and forend. Hold gun with magazine tube against table. With wood or plastic stick press red color follower injecting polymer safe gun cleaner inside the tube. Press spring 10 times up/down. No oiling is needed.

You might want to check out the end of the magtube further. Some of the newest models have flats milled on the stud that makes up the end of the tube on models with that type of tube (Monte, Sport II, Cordoba). It's a nylon lock screw without Loctite. Some do, some dont. I havent been able to figure out a cutoff serial number yet.

I discovered by accident last night how to remove the magazine tube. I was cleaning the gun and had the bolt and trigger guard out and was wiping down the inside of the action when I felt a little looseness in the magazine tube. I grabbed it and it was able to turn and unscrew it from the action out so to speak. The whole magazine tube is threaded at the connection where it meets the action and will disconnect after about 8 rotations. The end plug and spring are held in by the pressure so be careful as it will pop out as it's released. You wouldn't believe how much crud was in the tube and also on the red colored follower, almost like it was caked in grease. I used gun scrubber spray to remove the grime and seeds and debris as best I could then reassembled it. I did load it and then unloaded the shells and they all went in and out normally without the friction I had been experiencing after my return from the pheasant fields of SD and will shoot it this week-end-hopeully with no problems. Check it out anyone and confirm back for the group-thanks.