What gun to buy???????????????

Cheezum460

To anyone with their insight. I am looking to purchase a left handed semi auto shotgun, I am really looking at the SBE 2 I would like some feed back pros and cons on this gun. Thanks in advance!

I have an SBE II LH and love it. There are mostly only pros to this gun: lightweight, 3.5" capacity, ability to reliably cycle even light target loads, comfortech stock (yes, I do thiink it helps when shooting the heavy stuff, at least relative to not having it), shims to adjust fit, etc. The gel cheekpad. Not to mention dead solid relability and absolute ease of maintaince.

Are there any cons? Well, a bit more recoil than you get from a gas gun. I personally don't like the factory recoil pad and replaced it with a limbsaver. I also at times find it kind of awkward having all of the essential controls (i.e., bolt release and cocking handle) are on the right-hand-side of the receiver, which can be a bit awkward. Also, there is the infamous Benelli click thing. If you don't truly let the bolt slam shut or if the gun is bumped in a certain way, the bolt face won't properly seat. Pull the gun up to fire, and click...nothing happens (this happened to me once on a phesant hunt).

All-in-all, this is IMHO the best all-round gun out there. I have used it for everything from doves to geese and back again. I also routinely use it to shoot skeet, trap, and the occasional round of sporting clays. It points great/fast, and I shoot it as well or better than anything else I have ever shot/owned. It is the best all-purpose gun I have ever owned and likely the best I ever will own, as in I have little if any desire to try and improve on the SBE II system.

So go ahead and take the plunge. You won't regret it! :D

Plus, what other choice do you have? If you truly want a LH model there is not a lot to choose from. An 1100 G3? A heavy gun that is still limited to 3" loads. A Charles Daley? Not bloody likely. A 935 Mossberg? Not a bad gun in some respects but certainly lacks the versatility of the SBE II, not to mention the simplicity. There is nothing else! This gun is in a class of its own, and I do not regret for a minute the scraping and scrounging I had to do to save up to buy one.

Go for it!

I really enjoy my SBE II. Easy to clean, functions well, handles great and points even better. The "click" does happen. Pull up on a goose landing on my head and click...I shoot mostly 3" waterfowl loads and the recoil does not bother me. I notice it when I shoot 3.5" but not to the point it hurts.

• 2 weeks later...

Quit 'looking' and go ahead a buy! I'm a lefty and own both the SBE and SBEII LH in black. GREAT guns...should have bought earlier. Shot mostly O/U's or bottom eject pumps prior to this and still use them on occasion, but always reach for the SBEII now. I did look at other LH autoloaders, but always came back to SBE...just fit me better.

Don't forget the other advantage of shooting a LH built auto - it pretty much guarantees you a spot at the end of the blind due to the opposite eject!

your Left handed you dont have manny options ,i am left handed to and i hunt sea ducks and geese ,along with other ducks ,and the ocasional phesant , i usto shoot a right handed shotgun and i got sick of it ,but there wernt manny options out there , i did my research on the benellies i narrowed it down to the m2 ,or SBE II i cheaped out and baught the m2 left hand max 4 fore the sake of 2 or 3 hundred dollars well its been one year and guess what i just orderd the SBE II left hand in max 4 , that is what i should have done in the first place so learn by my mistake , unless you have no use fore the 3.5 loads , but that is only my opinion:eek:

been hunting canada`s ,snows , ducks in the most imaginable weather possible, purchased 3 rremington 11-87 2 of them 3 inch and 1 3.5 inch bought winchester sx2 3.5 inch this is in the past 18 years ....best buy was my first 11-87 in 3 inch and my sx2, problem was I am not a fan of maintaining my guns and neither are my partners (clean in beginning of season and and end of season), go through about 2 cases of shell in spring and about 3-4 cases od shell in the fall, the only guns that have never never mal-functioned were my buddies sbe and SBE 2, so after the money that I did on guns settled on max-4 sbe 2 28 inch, alot more money but in the first time I know this one will be an investment!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I am 40 years old, took delivery of my Vinci 4 days ago, have since put over 400 rounds of varyingtypes from 2 3/4" 7/8oz to 3" 1 1/oz, and I can say without a doubt that the Vinci, while a little weird looking, shoots as well or better than any other shotgun I own.

Yes, I bought it because it was different and I bought into the hype surrounding it, but having put nearly two CASES of ammo through it without the first misfire, I believe the hype to have been true.

I've seen the ads for the new Maxus, and read the posts saying that "I'll save $300 and get the Maxus". Guess what? I paid $1349 for my vinci (28"Max4) the Maxus lists at $1339 in the same configuration. $10??? Get what you want.

These things are all personal preference anyway. The gun I love may be the same one another guy can't stand. No reason to put down someone elses choice or dog on them for being young and daddy buying them a gun. My 15 year old just inherited a 1 yr. old SBE II and clains it to be the best, and it is TO HIM. Lets all play nice we were all kids once, and to each his or her own.

i think the origional question was what gun to buy and he was left handed the VINNIE dosent come in left hand or does it , so if hes left handed we should try to point him in the direction of a left handed gun its no fun having the shells fly infront of your face or having the powder coming back in your face , so my advice would be the sbeII if your hunting turkey or geese fore the 3.5 or if its duck ,dove and such go with the m2 but that is just my opinion :cool: