An AR15 question

huklbrry

No Problem, just pop out the 2 pins and put on a new upper assembly pop the pins back in. Less than a minute, good to go. I have several uppers and a couple lowers and switch stuff up all the time. If you have a very old AR before they had the detent loaded pin in front you might need an offset pin up front

Edited by Hookster

You may run into headspacing problems, so your best bet is to buy a complete upper M4 receiver. Check the offsets on your front pin to see if A) you have mil spec pin, B) the new upper has mil spec pins. Just as Hookster stated, conversion pins are available in either direction.

Mg

I have an Armalite AR-15A4 with a 1/9 twist. I read somewhere that 1/9s aren't good for firing anything over 62gr. Would I be able to get an M4 complete upper with a 1/7 twist and have it still be compatible?

1 in 7 with the notched bbl is the standard M4 profile. It will handle a wider available range of ammunition the the 1 in 9.

Mg

You can't get something for nothin', huklbrry! As the twist rate gets faster (1-7 from 1-9, say), your probability for stabilizing the heavier bullets (with greater accuracy) goes up. The slower twists (usually) do a better job of stabilizing the lighter bullets (55 grain are the most common and cost less then the heavier bullets, again usually).

Decide on what bullets you want to shoot and get the twist that will shoot the best. Is there such a thing as the best compromise? Probably, but you will have to do some testing to find out. There is no one best answer.

GTPSC

There are a lot of choices out there these days. Do you know if you want to go flat top or carry handle? railed front end or standard handguards? Do you want to run optics on it? My latest upper that I bought is a Smith and Wesson M&P 15T flat top with Troy Industries quad rail 1/9 barrel since I usually shoot 55gr PMC etc. I'm very happy with it.

The total barrel length for a rifle must be no shorter than 16". Some have done the 14.5 with a A2 birdcage flash surpressor (actually think its 14.7", or a modified longer birdcage) permanently attached to meet the 16" criteria.

As for the twist. If you are sticking to 55gr FMJ, then either will be sufficient if you are going with the 75 gr taps or what not, then 1:7. Out of the 10.5 ARs I own, only 2 ar 1:7, the rest of the 223/5.56 are 1:9 with the exception of the 1:8 SS wylde chamber varmint rifle. Both my 308s and the 9mm are 1:10. The 22lr dedicated is 1:16.

I have no issues with the 1:9 since I mainly shoot M193. Your results may vary.

Try for a LMT or Bravo Company m4 upper.

There is absolutely no reason not to get 1/7 twist if you have the option. 1/7 stabilizes even 40 grain bullets just fine, and it eats 77 grain SMKs for breakfast.

I think you're confused on your terminology ... an "m4 upper" means a 1/7 twist, m4 profile 14.5 inch chrome lined barrel with a T marked flat top receiver, almost always with m4 cuts nowadays. If it isn't this, it's not an m4 upper.

My last AR was a LMT m4 upper. It was a great gun, I sold it to a friend so that he'd have a quality m4.

Good luck finding any of them in this climate though ... LMT stuff is very hard to find now, because it's the best ...

Edited by Duggan

Is the 14.5 legal for civilian purchase? I thought it was that the barrel length had to at least be 16".

with a permanently attached 1.5" long flash suppressor it is legal. There are also some running a 11.5" barrel and a permanently attached 5.5" flash suppressor (bushmaster and DPMS made them from the factory that way)... don't really see the point in these, but to each their own. If I wanted a barrel that short I would get another AR pistol or SBR it and not worry about the added length of a decoration.

Do you guys have any thoughts or experience on/with the LWRC M6 series? Im a firm believer in the adage "You get what you pay for", seeing how my benelli M4 performs compared to other shotguns I've fired, does the short stroke gas piston system on the LWRC M6 series rifles blow away current AR-15 technology?

Do you guys have any thoughts or experience on/with the LWRC M6 series? Im a firm believer in the adage "You get what you pay for", seeing how my benelli M4 performs compared to other shotguns I've fired, does the short stroke gas piston system on the LWRC M6 series rifles blow away current AR-15 technology?

I have seen some kits not run so well.

My AR is good to go old style.