Choke tube: Extended vs flush?

Veduci

1. Chances of marring the end of the barrel are reduced should the choke be stuck or if is removed in haste.

2. The extended choke will give you a holding point and reduce the amount of choke tube grease on your hands.

3. Some choke tube companies print the choke restriction on the tube extension for quick identification. Great for sporting clays.

For shotguns, its a hard sell to me that ported choke tubes do much of anything but make the gun louder.

To be effective (and make no mistake, ports on rifles are effective) the ports have to redirect some of the gases rearward to counteract the rearward motion of the gun.

Since shotgun barrels and choke tubes are pretty thin-walled, there's not much meat in the barrel or the choke tube body to get the the gases moving backwards.

Choke tubes, where the ports are simply straight drilled perpendicular to the barrel centerline, I just don't see how the physics shows they'll do much of any recoil reduction.

The only recoil reduction possible is because some of the gases are moving perpendicular to the barrel instead of axially with the shot/wad. But that percentage of the mass that is leaving the barrel is so small, I can't imagine the recoil reduction due to this can be felt.

Ported barrels CAN reduce barrel rise since the ports on the barrel are usually all on top of the barrel.

But again, ported chokes, since the ports are all around the circumfrence, can't reduce barrel rise. The physics aren't there.

OK! Great information and I appreciate all who responded. I have new Cordoba BUT GAnder Mountain sent me home with 4 CRIO PLUS and the gun requires CRIO (1 was in the barrel)! Waiting for them to decide how they will resolve the problem. The obviously gave my proper choke tubes to someone who will not be able to use them! I stay with Extended. However, the CRIO extended markings are so small that my old eyes can barely see them!

For shotguns, its a hard sell to me that ported choke tubes do much of anything but make the gun louder.

To be effective (and make no mistake, ports on rifles are effective) the ports have to redirect some of the gases rearward to counteract the rearward motion of the gun.

Since shotgun barrels and choke tubes are pretty thin-walled, there's not much meat in the barrel or the choke tube body to get the the gases moving backwards.

Choke tubes, where the ports are simply straight drilled perpendicular to the barrel centerline, I just don't see how the physics shows they'll do much of any recoil reduction.

The only recoil reduction possible is because some of the gases are moving perpendicular to the barrel instead of axially with the shot/wad. But that percentage of the mass that is leaving the barrel is so small, I can't imagine the recoil reduction due to this can be felt.

Ported barrels CAN reduce barrel rise since the ports on the barrel are usually all on top of the barrel.

But again, ported chokes, since the ports are all around the circumfrence, can't reduce barrel rise. The physics aren't there.

The vents on the Brilely extended chokes ARE cut (in a beveled fashion) to send gasses backwards. Not going to help barrel-rise since they encompass the entire circumference, but may actually have an effect, albeit so small, on felt recoil.

I also have the same problem identifying the choke by reading the laser etched markings. I got around it with a sharpe felt tip pen. I only use 3 of the chokes (really just two) but this is what I do. Carry the cyl in case I have a sporting target in my face - no sharpe color around the narrow smooth band between the knarls, purple for the imp cyl, and red for the mod. I shoot FITASC with the mod and have never felt short on choke (out to 65 yards or so). Sharpe wears off easily but can be also be easily 'reapplied'. Only cost are the sharpe pens and even with 5 different colors - less than a box of good shells.

To add to what doc said, there's no concrete evidence extended choke tubes pattern any better than flush tubes.

I don't know how you can back this up :confused:

Patterns are a pretty subjective topic to being with.

What is a 'better' pattern? For waterfowl, it might be an more evenly spread out pattern. For turkeys it might be a more dense pattern.

I have maybe 25+ extended tubes that pattern much better than any flush tube in the same constriction. Now, none of the parallel sections are the same in these chokes, even if the simple constriction is the same, so it's not really comparing an appple to an appple (added an extra 'p' - I guess you can't spell out a p p l e here!)

Some flush chokes, like the Crio Plus, have been getting closer to the performance of extended chokes, so the issue may be getting less and less relevant as time goes by.....

At my local trap and skeet range the guys behind the counter laugh everytime the choke tube question comes up.

They make a ton of money selling choke tubes to shooters that have to have the latest and greatest. Sooner or later the fad will change to another type,style or restriction and they'll sell them all over again.

Honey have you seen my extended tubes with the blue band? No those have the green band, no those are the internal chokes, no I only use those with steel shot.

I guess I'm one of the guys they laugh at.

Edited by cksh8me