3" or 3.5"

Tim Neitzke

I have been shooting an HK import SBE since 1992 and over decoys I always use 3" for my 1st and 2nd shots with a 3.5" for my last. If pass shooting(I hate)I use 3.5" always. The ammo is much better now, so I rarely use 3.5", except on snow geese.

A while back I ended up buying a 3.5 inch gun and found myself using 3.5 shells maybe once a year. I do not think it is neccesary for a 3.5 inch gun I think you can do the exact same with a three inch gun.

It's all about pellet count. An extra handful here and there never hurt anyone.

Don't forget about full chokes. Keeping that pattern tight out to farther distances will allow you to hit those far birds. I prefer 3.5" shells because of the extra pellets and the joy of shooting larger rounds, but I've nailed a bunch of geese with 3" loads. Either way have a great time!

I dont recall anyone saying you MUST shoot a 3.5 that is an option that is there and if there are more pellets well it betters your chances ,but some people say that a 20 gaudge is all you need well thats another opinion ,ultamitly its the individuals choice what he prefers , myself i like the 3.5 i dont always use it BUT its there when you want it ,and again that is just my opuinion :rolleyes:

A while back I ended up buying a 3.5 inch gun and found myself using 3.5 shells maybe once a year. I do not think it is necessary for a 3.5 inch gun I think you can do the exact same with a three inch gun.

Do your 3" loads cycle any better in a 3" chamber than a 3.5"? I use 3.5" during turkey season and I have never shot over 5 3.5"s a year while hunting. You can kill a turkey the same with a IC choke so why dont you? One time I was turkey hunting with 3" 2 oz shells and I had a slightly less tight choke than I thought I had and I called a jake in and it just wouldn't get any closer than 45 yards for some reason and I shot it, it started flopping, I stood up and walked toward it, and it stood up, ran away must have been injured I dont know why it didnt fly. I think if I would have had a little more lead I would have killed it. So now I use 2 1/4 oz 3.5"s, check my choke before I leave and run towards the turkey right after I shoot. Having a little more lead lets you do a tiny bit more damage, and I want my gun to be as effective as possible.

Edited by Trapshooter1

3.5 is probably better for killing birds. But I honestly don't believe it's nessesary. 4 guys in my group shot 200+ mallards and 175+ honks last year with out shooting a 3.5 inch shell.

decoy um right and save some cash.

3.5 is probably better for killing birds. But I honestly don't believe it's nessesary. 4 guys in my group shot 200+ mallards and 175+ honks last year with out shooting a 3.5 inch shell.

decoy um right and save some cash.

Sure using 3s is cheaper, but when the limit is 2 turkeys a year, I want the most out of my gun when turkey season comes.

I got my turkey this spring with a 3" magnum turkey load at 50 yards but that was before I picked up my SuperNova, I cant wait to throw some 3.5" rounds at those toms. Too bad our fall season is archery only, I guess I will have to wait till next year.

I would but up here in Maine they require a bow hunter safety course. Its so pathetic that you have to take hunter safety that allows you to use firearms which obviously have a much farther range and than you need to go out and spend more money and time on the same coarse with bows in mind. They should have just combined the two courses. Either way if my brother ends up getting a bow I'm going to use it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...