help me. its about dogs

waterfowler050

ok i live in seattle washington and would love to look in to getting a good dog for waterfowl. im looking for something from a breeder with a good reputation and all that good stuff. my cash is limited and am also wondering what a puppy could come out to at an average price. lastly they need to be able to live in a house. thanks.

Lab, Lab,Lab. Any color, just get a Lab. Mine's great in hte house. Completely housebroken, sleeps in the bed when allowed, and plays with the Pomeranian very nicely. Down here in the South you can expect to pay $800-$1200 for a dog with a great pedigree (hunt test titles and such). While the super pedigree isn't a guarantee, it's a pretty good indication that you're getting a dog with strong retrievein bloodlines. Training is another matter. My trainer charges $400/mo. till the dog is ready, which can be 4-8 months depending on the level of training you require. Field trials training can take even longer.

GET A LAB!!!! (my trainer is a big fan of Chessapeake's, but they can often be less friendly)

Edited by tdaggett

ok but would i require a trainer to teach it to retrieve birds out of the water. or atleast what level of knowledge would i need to have.

No, you don't have to have someone train your dog for you. If you want a dog for field trials then maybe, depending on your skills, time and things like that I bet you can do it just fine.

If you have never trained a dog before no big deal. Anyone willing to put in some time and invest in training tools (training DVD's and training equipment) can have a good dog in the field. Not a perfect dog but a good dog you can be pleased with.

Like tdaggett said, you can spend anywhere from $800-1200 on a dog with a smoking hot pedigree but nothing is for certain. I'm looking at a breeding with pups in the $1500 range right now. But I have also found some with good pedigrees for $800 here in KC.

You want a Lab without a doubt. Their natural ability will far outway any training skills you have. What you really want to do, if you want a dog that will bring back ducks (no fancy hand signals or anything like that) you could get you a dog at a modest price $200-500, spend a lot of time with it, get yourself familiar with a training method you want to use and give it your best. I think you will very surprised how fast they can pick up on things. They really are amazing dogs.

Have I confused you yet? If you need more info shoot me a PM and I can get you pointed in the right direction with training materials, methods and such.

Both my past labs were great house dogs. I think having them in the house adds to the bond and relationship (esp. when they find your Gortex hunting boots and make them look like they were put in a blender). Some will argue that but they can kiss my grits.

I'd say lab, unless you're hunting big fresh water or the sea.

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers are bred to handle rough water better.

You can find a great dog on Craigslist or at the SPCA, and you can find a useless dog from a high-dollar breeder, with plenty of room in between.

If you spend time with the dog and work with it, it will do whatever you want it to do, and be a great family dog as well.

There are plenty of books and videos on the subject.

Don't ask someone else to raise your kids. Don't ask someone else to train your dog.

Go with a Lab, especially if you funds are limited for the purchase because that will be the cheap end of ownership the first year, after adding routine vaccinations, heartworm ect.

Like stated around our area in Missouri they range from $800 to $1,200 I paid $600 for my pointing Lab 7 years ago, although I saw two Lab pups at a recent DU dinner go for $350. So check around with local DU, Delta Water chapters to see if anyone is expecting a litter. Above all don’t buy from a puppy mill breeder; the incidence of hip dysplasia is high

try to train the dog yourself to create a stronger bond, that you are the boss. There are several good books, one being Waterdog by Richard Wolters.

Good Luck

Good Luck

I bought my dog at a little over a year old as "started" since I did not have the time to bring up a puppy at the time. I don't think there is any issues with having someone else train your dog whatsoever. HeckI didn't even see my dog until he was a year old and he would walk through fire to make me happy now. That dog lives in the house, sleeps in the bed, eats when I eat, etc..he is part of the family and when the trainer/guy who raised him comes hunting with me the dog pays him no attention. My dog knows i'm the boss and your dog will know that too if you decide to have him professionally trained. I worked for a trainer and out of all the dogs I have seen trained, none came back because the bond between owner and dog was not there. Just something to think about. If you have the time, by all means do it yourself. If you don't have the time/patience there is nothing wrong with letting a pro handle it. Your dog will know who is boss in the duck blind, I promise. With all that being said, I will be training my Chessie when I get him since I have more time available now a days. I may send him off for a couple months if I get bogged down in the training but I am going to do majority of it myself. Look into Smartworks books/DVD's too.

i would go with a lab im partial because i have one but they are an all round water foul dog wether it be duck in the ocean ,lake or pond or goose in a field ,i even am getting mine into phesant and some of my frends hunt phesant a lot with the labs . BUT then what type to get chocolate ,black , golden, and what sex that will be the next big question:rolleyes:

Like I said in my earlier post, go with a Lab. And no, you don't have to use a pro to train for the retreive, but you have to be prepared to spend lots of time training. I just sent my 1 yr old dog to the trainer 6 weeks ago. I just didn't have the time to do it myself and get it right which put us way behind and missed a whole duck season with her. A dog from a good pedigree wil usually, but not always, give you a headstart as they are from proven retreiving stock. That being said, the best hunting dog I ever had was a stray mutt of some sort who showed up in the yard looking about 3 months old and retreived ducks, pointed quail&pheasant, ran deer, and treed coons with no training at all. Still, GET A LAB, from somewhere, anywhere. You won't be dissappointed.

I bought a lab two years ago, first dog I've ever owned. I was 46. Spent time teaching him the basics, sit, here, heel. I spent a little time with him just about every day, with those commands and retrieving. Someone recommended a book or two, and i read those. He's a great hunting dog now, and I knew very little going into it for training. I did buy a dog with a good pedigree assuming it would make the job more enjoyable, and it has been. I feel pretty lucky with Cooper. BTW, he's a handsome 56-pound fox red British Lab.

I have two black labs - this is definitely the dog for your situation. We mostly hunt pheasant, but both dogs are great in the water. Labs can stand extremely cold water and are great house dogs. Zack, my 9 year old taught me how to hunt birds and train dogs and cost me a big $100. Great hunting dog but bad knees - cost me $1000 per knee to fix his when he was 4 years old. This fact and other potential lab breed problems (all breeds have medical problems that you need to look out for) is why you want to buy your lab with a good pedigree. My "puppy" (almost 3) is AKC registered from a great pedigree in Wisconsin and cost $400. His dad is a master hunter and his mom is a great pheasant dog. Izzy was retrieving bumpers to hand in the water at 9 weeks old and is the best retriever that I have ever seen (still learning from Zack about finding birds though). Get a copy of Richard A. Wolters "Game Dog" book from the library and read it. The Wolters system does not require a shock collar and works extremely well. He also has a valuable section on selecting a puppy. He has also published an older book called "Water Dog" that you should read. You do not want a "trials" level lab - they are alpha personalities that will try to stare you down. You need this in a trials dog due the amount of pressure that you have to put on the dog (shock collars set on stun) to get them up to snuff for trials. You want a hunting dog that is also a companion and a great house dog. Get a Lab and read Wolters books.

can i see a pic of him. he sounds small. like what i need and i want to see haw big a 56 pound a lab is. i would apriecate it.

Here is a couple pictures of Buck, he is ideal size (58-62 pounds during the season) for how I hunt. He is big enough to retrieve geese but small enough not to be a hassle while hunting.

IMG_6932Large.jpg

mmmwm2.jpg