M4 Bolt Face Wear

Hello all,

I've noticed some wear or chips on my M4's bolt face. The gun has about 220 rounds through it. It appears that at about the 10 o 'clock and 2 o'clock positions there are some portions where metal has been chipped or worn off.

Should I be concerned? Could this weaken the bolt and cause cracks?

Here are some pics:

m4bolt.jpg

m4bolt1.jpg

Dude, no.

You are fine.

Your pictures don't show any of the things you inquire about ... ?

Either way, the m4 will be fine, dont worry about it ... if it REALLY starts to fvck up somehow, take better pictures and we can assess from there .. but my m4 has 12,000+ rounds though it, has beat up finish everywhere, and it runs like a top.

Oh, those micro ding things?

Nothing to worry about. Certain ammo will beat up your bolt face more than others ... if you've noticed, the gun also gets "chipped" on the ejection port, upper part of the receiver ... the receiver literally gets smooshed out with age and use.

Doesn't affect function at all ... it's just the difference between a gun that actually gets shot and one that sits in a safe, like all of member M1014's toys.

Oh, those micro ding things?

Nothing to worry about. Certain ammo will beat up your bolt face more than others ... if you've noticed, the gun also gets "chipped" on the ejection port, upper part of the receiver ... the receiver literally gets smooshed out with age and use.

Doesn't affect function at all ... it's just the difference between a gun that actually gets shot and one that sits in a safe, like all of member M1014's toys.

Yes, I've noticed that. This particular M4 has also had bits of aluminum flake off the inside of the receiver. As I said before, I have another desert camo M4 which seems to be better machined (internally) and has had more rounds down it with the same type of ammo and it is pristine. Now the camo finish, that is another story:rolleyes:

Come to think of it, I wouldn't want to be below anyone trying that! :)

But seriously, the M4 is made to take abuse and one the last free pleasures in life is using a gun hard, just as it's designed to be used, and enjoying every minute of it.

BTW, one of the very best ways to really learn to enjoy your gun is to take a class with it. By the time you're done it'll have a few scratches but you will have the experience of a lifetime...and you'll know how to use your gun well. My signature ('I like my pistol but I LOVE my shotgun!) came from an instructor at Gunsite. I liked that class so much I took another one at Blackwater. What a great time.

Edited by m4p226n
To add a thought...

M4 is the Best Benelli ever Made. Use her like you stole her.

Yeah I cant wait for the weather to warm up a bit so that I can go to the range and use my M4....

So far my gun is about 1 year old and has less than 60 rounds thru it.....

Kinda like buying a Ferrari and driving it like 12 miles a year

• 11 years later...