Mag tube+ Spring + Follower = Shell Capacity

MickGIS

I want to report on the results when I combined the following equipment.

Equipment:

1. SOCOMguy Full Length Mag Tube for an M4

2. M4 Premium Full Length Magazine Spring

CARRIERCOMP

http://shop.carriercomp.com/product.sc?categoryId=-1&productId=1

3. Nordic Low Drag Magazine Follower
    Chris’ Winning Shooing Accessories LLC
    http://www.cpwsa.com/nordic_components.htm

Results:

Spring + Follower = 2¾” Shell Capacity

1. Factory Spring + Factory Follower = 7
  2. Factory Spring + Nordic Follower = 7

3. CARRIERCOMP Spring + Factory Follower = 7

4. CARRIERCOMP Spring + Nordic Follower = 6

Combination #4 resulted in one less shell being loaded, I opted for combination #3.

Edited by MickGIS

Shocking, when you use an oversized, unnecessary follower, combined with a full size (oversize technically) spring, it edges out shell #7!

And people always act like I'm crazy when I ask wtf they're doing when they buy an aftermarket follower ...

Shocking, when you use an oversized, unnecessary follower, combined with a full size (oversize technically) spring, it edges out shell #7!

And people always act like I'm crazy when I ask wtf they're doing when they buy an aftermarket follower ...

I never met you Duggan so you may be a little crazy. :)

But when it comes to Benelli I won't argue with you - when you're right, you're right.

• 4 weeks later...

Equipment:

1. SOCOMguy Full Length Mag Tube for an M4

2. M4 Premium Full Length Magazine Spring

CARRIERCOMP

http://shop.carriercomp.com/product.sc?categoryId=-1&productId=1

3. Nordic Low Drag Magazine Follower
    Chris’ Winning Shooing Accessories LLC
    http://www.cpwsa.com/nordic_components.htm

Results:

Combination #4 resulted in one less shell being loaded, I opted for combination #3.

I have the Carriercomp titanium mag tube + carriercomp spring + nordic components follower, and I can still fit SEVEN 2¾” shells in the tube. Can anybody explain our different experiences?

I have the Carriercomp titanium mag tube + carriercomp spring + nordic components follower, and I can still fit SEVEN 2¾” shells in the tube. Can anybody explain our different experiences?

Yes.

Different size shells.

They are both technically "2 3/4" shells, but between brands the actual length varies a bit. That is why some people will fit 6 and others will fit 7.

I see no reason to switch from the factory follower though ...

There really is one reason to go with the Nordic follower: 922r compliance.

The magazine follower is a compliance part. Switch it out, and it helps to get you to the magic number which will allow you to add an imported part (like the skeleton "collapsile" stock). Change out the normal PG stock for the skeleton stock without bringing your 922r compliance parts down under 10--which, given the available US parts at this time, basically mandates that you change the follower--and you are committing a felony. I know a lot of people don't worry about a nearly uninforcable federal law; but those who have integrity actually do. Between 4+1, 6+1, and an illegal 7+1, some people choose the 6+1 option. BTW, if you put in the Nordic follower, find out you hate it, and then put the factory follower back in; you are probably committing a crime. Cheers! :)

Edited by LeoAtrox

The magazine follower is a compliance part. Switch it out, and it helps to get you to the magic number which will allow you to add an imported part (like the skeleton "collapsile" stock). Change out the normal PG stock for the skeleton stock without bringing your 922r compliance parts down under 10--which, given the available US parts at this time, basically mandates that you change the follower--and you are committing a felony. I know a lot of people don't worry about a nearly uninforcable federal law; but those who have integrity actually do. Between 4+1, 6+1, and an illegal 7+1, some people choose the 6+1 option. BTW, if you put in the Nordic follower, find out you hate it, and then put the factory follower back in; you are probably committing a crime. Cheers! :)

Integrity?

That's a good one.

Guest cleefurd

Yes! Our spring is the culprit when used in conjunction with AFTERMARKET followers! The carriercomp spring has more "end-wrap" coils than OEM for spring stability. In rare instances SOME 2-3/4" shells expose this as an encumberance on the 7th round insertion . When running the Nordic follower cut a 1-1/2 coils from each end and you STILL have as many "end wraps" as OEM, while gaining the 1/8th inch needed to again have the capacity you deserve. Hope this helps.

P.S. Hope MickGIS gets this message.:o

Edited by cleefurd

A little something picked up in the Marine Corps. :D

A marine ... So let me get this straight ... you swore an oath to the constitution ... and the constitution is pretty clear (even before Heller) on the right to keep and bear arms. The constitution makes no mention or 922r or any other restrictive gun law. Are you sworn to uphold 922r?

If you want to extrapolate your "integrity" to mean "following any and all ridiculous, unenforceable laws put in place by people who hate the very things I love and have used to protect this country", then that is your business ...

Ummm...right. Those with INTEGRITY follow the LETTER OF THE LAW. That is why I am proud that my ancestors in Germany helped exterminate jews by tricking them into hiding in their attic and alerting the authorities, as the law required. They were following the law to the letter. Doing the RIGHT thing. THey were people of INTEGRITY!

^Not a true statement, although I am German. Do you get the idea though?

Guest cleefurd

Fighting over a cookie that was served on a re-cycled turd. This 922R "law" is divisive, ill conceived and penned in haphazard arbitrary terms. Let us try and comply, while choosing freedom without disdain, and in the mean-time, NOT scrutinize those very endeavors to be free.

Integrity does not align itself well with passive domination. Integrity will require back-bone, and back-bone will wield free will as required, w/o disdain for the reasonable law of the land.

Edited by cleefurd

Guest cleefurd

Results:

STAYING ON THE THREAD;

Yes! Our spring is the culprit when used in conjunction with AFTERMARKET followers! The carriercomp spring has more "end-wrap" coils than OEM for spring stability. In rare instances SOME 2-3/4" shells expose this as an encumberance on the 7th round insertion . When running the Nordic follower cut a 1-1/2 coils from each end and you STILL have as many "end wraps" as OEM, while gaining the 1/8th inch needed to again have the capacity you deserve. Hope this helps.

Edited by cleefurd

Fighting over a cookie that was served on a re-cycled turd. This 922R "law" is divisive, ill conceived and penned in haphazard arbitrary terms. Let us try and comply, while choosing freedom without disdain, and in the mean-time, NOT scrutinize those very endeavors to be free.

Integrity does not align itself well with passive domination. Integrity will require back-bone, and back-bone will wield free will as required, w/o disdain for the reasonable law of the land.

I simply find it amazing how a citizen of a nation that slaughtered as many oppressive troops as it took to rid itself of unfair taxes and religious pressures could say someone "Lacks integrity" because they are passively disreguarding a freedom infringing law (nevermind that it was passed by this same country that killed for it's freedom, the irony disgusts me) that serves no purpose but to limit their capacity (haha) of that person to persue happiness as they see fit, without the harm of others or endangerment of their own persuits.

922R is a joke, similar to "do not tie an alligator to a fire hydrant in Florida" type laws. Even the BATF cannot DEFINTE the rules of 922R. Every letter I see from them has a different "Part Count" for the M4. Pure joke.

Edited by Unobtanium

Well said Kip.

Now get back to work and get us those m4 rails! I'm dying to get my hands on one of those.

Guest cleefurd

Rails are on stand-by awaiting custom step-drills (tooling), which is 3 weeks out, plus 1-2 weeks to produce 100 units, plus estimated 2-3 week turn-around time for anodizing. Yes 8 weeks sounds like an eternity. But that is AVAILABILITY of what the people demand.

Rails are on stand-by awaiting custom step-drills (tooling), which is 3 weeks out, plus 1-2 weeks to produce 100 units, plus estimated 2-3 week turn-around time for anodizing. Yes 8 weeks sounds like an eternity. But that is AVAILABILITY of what the people demand.

*sniff sniff

It's not so bad really, I have been waiting for a Sabre Defence AR for roughly half a year. At least I can shoot my M4 without the optic.

How long currently on the tubes?

I am eager to get my CarrierComp tube as well ... It's a shame that we only have a handful of companies that are making things for the M4/M1014. Thank God for Kip.

I am excited to see available the other items he's got on deck. I'm definitely someone who wants in on the improved rail and some of the other potential products that he's planned.

Edited by LeoAtrox

I am eager to get my CarrierComp tube as well ... It's a shame that we only have a handful of companies that are making things for the M4/M1014. Thank God for Kip.

I am excited to see available the other items he's got on deck. I'm definitely someone who wants in on the improved rail and some of the other potential products that he's planned.

Kip is not big industry. He can therefor rapidly and properly respond to market demand

Kip is not big industry. He can therefor rapidly and properly respond to market demand

I've noticed that. Considering his shooting background, I'm glad (and, I'll admit, a little suprised) that he developed such a love for the M4. It seems that the only innovation being done with M4 components is by Carrier and Mesa Tactical. I've only heard good things about Kip's stuff; but mixed reviews about various Mesa stuff. I'm going with Kip's stuff over Mesa if both are offering something. Not that it would really matter what I heard about Mesa. We're both Jarheads; so I'll trust him to take care of me ... Even if he doesn't know I'm a Marine. It's a Marine thing, I guess. I know how the Marines I served with were; and I'd trust all but one of them with my life (that's neither here nor there). I'd sure as heck trust them with manufacturing my accessories. :)

STAYING ON THE THREAD;

cleefurd/kip:

Question for you.

What are the pros and cons of using the OEM follower vs. the Nordic follower in the carriercomp magazine tubes? Since you make the tubes, I think you would be in the best position to comment on the above question.

Thanks!

cleefurd/kip:

Question for you.

What are the pros and cons of using the OEM follower vs. the Nordic follower in the carriercomp magazine tubes? Since you make the tubes, I think you would be in the best position to comment on the above question.

Thanks!

I'm not Kip, but allow me to answer your question. Carriercomp tubes are the same length at OEM full length tubes, so the same things apply to his tubes as do all full length tubes.

People use the Nordic follower because it's a US made part and they care about 922r compliance, or because they just like to add aftermarket parts to their gun to make themselves feel better.

There is no "performance" gain when using a Nordic follower. They claim "low drag" with their teflon coating, and claim to somehow be stronger than the factory follower, but I got news ... I've been on this forum for awhile, and I haven't heard a SINGLE person ever say that their factory follower has ever broken, jammed, or has been the cause of any problems. I personally have 11,500 or so rounds through my m4 and I've used a lowly OEM follower to every single round, and guess what? 0 problems of any kind, ever (after the break-in).

Nordic followers, on the other hand, have been the cause of endless problem threads, from decreased magazine capacity, to jamming, to certain springs not being compatible, to not ejecting the last round out of the tube, etc. Search for these threads if you would like.

Reasons not to use a Nordic follower include the following: It is oversized, and as such makes your last round a tighter fit, some people have reported jams with the last round of the tube when using one, and overall it's just an unnecessary modification.

The only legitimate "reason" to add one to your gun, IMO, is for 922r compliance, and 922r compliance is a sad joke all on it's own.