Give me your tips please...

Hellcaste

Hello guys and gals! This past weekend I purchased the Super Nova. I will admit while it it hard to win me over I was overwhelmed with what a good shotgun this feels and looks like. All I have heard is great things. I am a all around Deer, Duck, Geese, and Turkey hunter. Being my first shotgun I want to break it in proper. What is the best rounds, kind, weight, type and amount for my to feed her breaking her in? Also is there any tweaks that I can do on the shotgun to squeeze a little extra performance out of it. Anything I can take it down for at a gun smith? Thanks alot!

There is no "break in" for pump shotguns. It may get a bit smoother with use, but there is nothing that you have to do before you shoot it .... just shoot it a bunch and practice with it.

As far a gunsmith doing stuff ... what would you have him do? The supernova is a great shotgun on it's own, I don't know what a smith would even do to make it better ... I wouldn't go messing with stuff just for the sake of messing with stuff, especially when it's your first shotgun and you don't even have a feel for what you want or like in one yet.

I had my 12ga Nova for a year before I bought a 20ga Nova for the boys...

Right out of the box, I assembled the gun minus the barrel and just cycled the crap out of action with no lube. I did this well beyond when I first started to see wear marks. After I did this a few times, I cleaned & lubed it and it cycles much smoother than the 12 ga. I use Prolix and Militec.

Guest cleefurd
Just curious but it must have been hard to hunt those ducks, geese, and turkey without a good scatter gun....

Did anyone notice that was his first ever post???

Change his name to RPGHunter.... talk about one shot one kill.

Not to mention taking a switch to ANOTHER first timer while he was at it!

Pretty sure Hellcaste was using a loaner up until last weekend.

Was funny though.

Edited by cleefurd

Guest cleefurd
I had my 12ga Nova for a year before I bought a 20ga Nova for the boys...

I use Prolix and Militec.

+1 on the Militec. I used FP-10 for years, Militec is noticably better which is saying a LOT!!!

Guest cleefurd

Read the fine print, sometimes it IS important. We bought a rectal thermometer that read...

"Tested for quality assurance"

Bad visual.