Proud new M4 Poppa..

jantonio54

I finally just received my new, used M4 which I bought from Cabelas Kansas City. I posted a few days ago that they couldn't tell me what model it was, even though they claimed to have the box, and I finally got disgusted and bought it.

I am relieved to find it did come in the original, correct serial-numbered box, and it is a 11707 with two gas ports. It appears unfired, although the choke tube appears to have had a few rounds through it. I wonder if they test fire M4's at the factory.

I have two questions, if someone would be so kind:

1. The box says "M4 LR PG STD LE COLL". Does that mean it has the milled tube which is ready for a collapsible stock, should I decide to cough up the bucks? And what do LR And STD stand for? And is LE Law Enforcement or Limited Edition?

2. In the box were the manual, IPB, a cheap tactical light, and the choke tool. The only choke is installed and is a modified. Do they come new with other chokes, and is the modified a good choice for OO? Seems like IC or even more open would be better.

Thanks for any answers, and I am VERY happy with the feel of the M4.

1) - Yes, any 11707 is milled to take a collapsible stock. Check for yourself though ... pop out the trigger group and twist the stock off to see the recoil tube. I don't know what the LR would be ... I would say low recoil normally, the 4 gas port barrel is the "low recoil" barrel ... LE is Law Enforcement, as there are no limited edition 11707s as far as I know.

2) - M4s used to come with 3-4 chokes years ago, now apparently they only come with 1. Modified is a good choice for 00, but you can shoot 00 through any constriction. You'll have to pattern your gun/choke/ammo of choice to find the optimum setup for what you want to achieve.

Congratulations on your purchase, and welcome aboard the m4 club. :)

Now buy a full length tube/spring!

Thanks, Duggan, very helpful. I have a question in to Cleefurd regarding lead times, and intend to buy a tube from him as soon as he responds.

The barrel is not marked "low recoil" and I see only two ports. Would four ports be clearly distinguishable?

Also, this M4 has some sort of tritium sights. Is that stock?

Thanks for your help.

Yes, the milled recoil tube allows for 3 positions.

Yes, you would be able to see the 4 gas ports if they were there.

Tritium sights are not stock, but are a factory option. They are most likely made by Trijicon or Meprolight, I forget which one is the factory sights.