Good Luck - 2009 Spring Turkey Pictures

Novaking

I know some of you have started turkey hunting, but I just wanted to say good luck and be safe. I'll be out next weekend. I don't think anyone has started a thread to post your new trophys yet. Your welcome to do it here.

Novaking

Edited by Novaking

The birds were talking, but the fish weren't biting.

Setup on four gobblers together first thing.

I called one right in, but my buddy was caught behind a big tree with the gobbler on the other side.

When he tried to make a move, he got busted and old tom was gone in a flash.

Two others continued to gobble, but wouldn't come in.

We got back in the boat and moved down the creek and tried a few other spots.

Nothing.

Came back up the creek and tired a few calls near where we'd been busted on the four earlier.

Two gobbled right off the bat.

We paddled to the bank and setup about 150 yards from them.

Five minutes and a few soft yelps later, and it was all over.

tommy4-18-09.jpg

tommy-4-18-09c.jpg

We fished a few spots and listened for more birds until noon (can't hunt past noon here first two weeks). Caught a couple of 2-3 lb. pickerel and a small bass.

The boat trip was different and a lot of fun.

We'd seen a lot of turkeys when duck hunting this creek last Fall, so it seemed like a good idea from the start.

We may try it again one day next week.

Edited by tucker301

Last wednesday the 15th i killed a gobbler,he was 21 pounds with one inch spurs,i took pictures ,but i do not know how to post them.Monday i had one surprise me and i missed,i cant figure out how,i still thought it was a good shot,to sure of myself i guess,peeping over the barrel i think.It hurt though because the hunting been hard,lots of jakes on the properties that i hunt.

we have no birds hardly this year in north alabama. seems that is what everyone I talk to has said. Found one gobbler and two jakes on the whole property. worked him everyday for five days and finally called him to the decoy in the middle of the road for my buddy and he got busted looking at the other decoy. Oh well I guess he needed to stay and reproduce

Been very tough for me. Saw a 2 gobblers during the youth hunt with my oldest son but they were far away and not interested. Have had gobbles all around me on morning hunts only to call in jakes. Got off early last Friday afternoon and hit the fields around 1:30. Within minutes I hear gobbles close by. I start sneaking and finally see a very nice bird. I start belly crawling and we actually are moving towards the same point. About 85 yards later of belly crawling (and I mean belly crawling) I hear him make some excited clucks and look up to see a big coyote chase him away. That single experience has pretty much summed up my season. Good luck.

Nice. Sounds like you had lot of fun.

The birds were talking, but the fish weren't biting.

Setup on four gobblers together first thing.

I called one right in, but my buddy was caught behind a big tree with the gobbler on the other side.

When he tried to make a move, he got busted and old tom was gone in a flash.

Two others continued to gobble, but wouldn't come in.

We got back in the boat and moved down the creek and tried a few other spots.

Nothing.

Came back up the creek and tired a few calls near where we'd been busted on the four earlier.

Two gobbled right off the bat.

We paddled to the bank and setup about 150 yards from them.

Five minutes and a few soft yelps later, and it was all over.

tommy4-18-09.jpg

tommy-4-18-09c.jpg

We fished a few spots and listened for more birds until noon (can't hunt past noon here first two weeks). Caught a couple of 2-3 lb. pickerel and a small bass.

The boat trip was different and a lot of fun.

We'd seen a lot of turkeys when duck hunting this creek last Fall, so it seemed like a good idea from the start.

We may try it again one day next week.

I got my second bird today,my brother and i sat up on him early this morning with no luck.I knew he was still in the area,but my brother went to the house.A hen came by with tom in tow, to far for a shot.So then i went into stalk mode,got busted by the hen but she didnt spook,i stood in one spot for at least 20 minutes,she just kept on feeding,giving me a long look ever so often.He finally gave me shot and it was over,federal number 5s did a job on him,she really must have been tired of him,she could have putted and it would have been over!

• 2 weeks later...

I got my last bird yesterday a nice 21 pounds,two birds came in to my decoys,first time put out decoys this year,had to shoot him laying flat on my stomach,never practice this shot before,he was pretty mangle broke wing and leg,now the long wait begins until the fall hunting seasons.

Nice birds, guys Today is the last day of Spring Turkey season here in Oklahoma. Got this one early on. 10 1/2 inch beard and 1" spurs.

Got another one today. 23 lbs., 10" beard, 1 1/4" spur. Will post a picture of that one later.

Love that Super Black Eagle II:cool: