Restored my old Glenfield .22

Waylon

Got bored this week, and decided to restore my first gun. My dad bought this for me when I was 6 or 7. Well i'm 26 now, and thought it was time for a face lift on this old Glenfield model 75. .

100_0494.jpg

100_0496.jpg

100_0494.jpg

100_0506.jpg

100_0505.jpg

[ 07-04-2005, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: Waylon ]

Is that a long or short? I have another question is it possible to shoot short and long bullets through my winchester model 69 A - 22? I think it is possible but that is why im asking you guys. Another question where can I get a magizene for the model 69 A - 22? I looked for them but did not find anything. :confused: :D

...and BTW,

Your papa's 69A was manufactured anywhere between 1937 and 1963.

Some models handled shorts - LR's and others were ONLY LR.

If the barrel isn't designated as LR ONLY, then it will probably handle all lengths.

What's the problem with shooting the LR's?

Too much recoil?

Here's a close up of the barrel. Its Long Rifle only. If im not mistaking, these guns were readily available from Sears, and Otasco (Tucker, feel free to chim in, You guys remember Otasco?)

I have easily put 200,000 rounds through this rifle. When I completly disassembled it, it was full of unfired powder, and gunk from years of neglect, and abuse. About 3 sessions of degreasing, and some serious cleaning, polishing chrome plating , and shes as good as new. Now, I just need to get my magizine tube, and front sight from e-gunparts.com I cant wait to try it out again.

100_0507.jpg

[ 07-07-2005, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: Waylon ]

Note to anyone thinking of restoring/polishing guns. This is seriously hard work. It took me 2 weeks to finish this one. This gun does not look as good as the pictures may show. You can still see pitt marks where the nickle/copper didn't fill completly in. (or maybe im just a perfectionist) Some guns, like this one, will never get to "show" quality. this one was too badly rusted and pitted. It would have been a full time job finish at "show" quality. However, I never intended it to be a showpiece, its just a coyote gun, for the watermelon field. It will more than likely be my first boy's gun, as it was my first too.

The .22 has plenty of power from 150yds in. good enough for a wiley coyote. Many-a yotes have been struck "deader than a door nail" with a .22

As for ammo, I use to love the hollowpoint "stingers" I don't remember the manufacturer, but the box simply said "Stinger" Haven't been able to find them in years though. Don't know why, but those shells always sounded louder than conventional shells.

Alot of guys brag and boast about the .17 cal. rifles. They claim that they are the best rifles for coyote, and other varmits. I understand the velocity of the .17 is more than double the .22 I don't have one, but I think the .17 cal may be on my Christmas list this year.

Anybody know of a good .17 cal. under $250.00

Waylon,

Savage offers a wide selection of 17's in HMR and HM2 calibers.

Many fall within your budget.

Savage is famous for out of the box accuracy.

My new model 12 Varminter in 22-250 is one-holing at 100 yds with factory ammo.

Sent five more little piggies to heaven yesterday, including one not much bigger than a squirrel at 310 yds.

www.savagearms.com

Also, BSA makes a scope line specifically for the 17, which feature a trajectory dial to adjust for shots from 100-300 yards.

BSA Sweet 17's

[ 07-07-2005, 11:15 PM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]

Correct, HM2 is the Mach 2.

HMR is based on the 22 mag. case.

HM2 is based on the 22 LR case. The lighter bullet makes the HM2's trajectory much flatter thatn the standard 22 LR, and the 17's are notorious for accuracy.

The HM2's are much less expensive to shoot than the HMR's.

np_17hm2_r5_c1.gif

Couldn't find a good image of the ballistics on the HMR, but it does shoot much flatter, dropping about 8" at 200 yards.

My 300 yard shot was with a 22-250. My longest kill with that rifle so far has been the one I took at 393 yards.

I want to shoot them at longer distances, but it's difficult to find varmints at those ranges in my area.

The bean fields are smaller fields that used to be planted in tobacco.

I've actually moved farther away from some groundhogs after spotting them, just so I could test the limits of the weapon and myself.

The 393 was such a case. I had him at 125, but decided there was no challenge in that, so I drove up the next hill and set up there.

Before making your final decision, take a serious look at the 204 caliber as well.

It's the smoking new light varmint caliber developed by Ruger.

A 1/2" high at 100 puts it 4" low at 300, so there's very little to think about when aiming that one :D

[ 07-09-2005, 08:42 AM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]