New member soliciting advice on which one to get...

TokenWhiteMale

Greeting from another new member.

I had been looking for a mint 20 guage Auto 5, but it looks like the design of the inertia driven Benelli's is as superior to everything else as the Auto 5 once was. I also won't need to worry about steel shot in the Benelli or swapping barrells when I want a different choke. Much lighter than a comparable 20 guage mag Auto 5 and the cyclic rate looks faster also.

I am looking at the Sport 2, the Montefeltro Silver, and Legacy.

Most likely the vast majority of shooting is going to be clay birds, maybe some pheasant, dove, quail & waterfowl.

I really like the idea of the Crio Plus choke tubes and not needing a tool to swap them. That said, I really prefer a 26 inch barrell on a 20 guage gun. I also see barrel lengths range from 24 to 28 inches on these three models, but do not see the cryo treated Sport 2 barrrel available separately.

Questions are:

Will all of the barrells between these three guns interchange (I know the Monte & the Legacy are compatible)?

Anyone have a 24 inch barrel as a second & how do you like it?

Curious about the cost also, as no prices are listed on the barrels at the website.

And lastly, which gun would you buy given what I plan on using it for.

Feel free to throw in any other advice as I want to make sure I get the right gun the first time around.

Thanks in advance:D.

Cost for barrels is pretty much prohibitive, there is a recent thread on here where a new barrel was going to run about $465, you can look for it it shouldnt be too far down. But I would ask a dealer to get a real live price.

Given what you are using it for I dont think any of those guns would be bad. The only thing I would consider is weight, I think the monty is the lightest out of all of them, and I think that would be a definite plus if you do any amount of hunting. Its not a big deal at the range but if you are going to be walking around all day with it I think lighter is better.

Whatever you end up getting I'm sure you'll like the heck out of it.

Thanks agm.

Not a very talkative bunch here.

I was kind of hoping for a bunch of passionate replies from the Benelli auto shooters here.

:(

Now leaning towards a limited production gun, 26" barrels, pick up a couple of extended & ported chokes from Briley or Comp n Choke (any opinions???, anyone???), and then sending it off to be Pro Ported (feel free to jump in with an opinion anyone).

So it's looking like the Monte & the Legacy.

Even found a place to have my barrels cryo'd after porting.

You probably should have put M4 in the subject line haha. I dont know sometimes the what gun should I get questions are hardest to answer.

Me personally I had some of the same requirements you do and I chose the M2, I made a few mods to it and I love it to death. The only thing that I semi-regret about the whole benelli deal is the cost of new barrels and such but overall pretty happy.

I've never been a big fan of porting so I cant say that I personally would port the barrel or the chokes but its your gun so that is really up to you. I have had good luck with both briley and carlson's aftermarket chokes but the factory benelli chokes work well so I dont think you would be losing much if you just left those in.

I would by the Monty. It will do everything you said. The monty's just fit me better than the rest of the autos. Going with the silver vs the reg. monty is a personal choice. I wouldn't spend the extra dough on the silver but thats just me.

As for the barrels. Forget it. If you can find one, You can buy another gun to put in your safe.

Novaking

Thanks Nova.

The Silver Monte is what I was looking at. I personally could care less about the gold inlays, but I do like the better wood on the more expensive guns.

Agm, I have never had a ported gun either, but I have shot a couple and like them. The Benelli chokes look as good as anything on the market, it would just be nice to have a couple I don't need to use tools on when shooting clay birds. Just a convience.

I was planning on sending a feather weight .270 in to Magnaport and it looks like they take half off porting a second gun...:rolleyes:. Not too concerned about recoil on a 20ga auto, but if I am already sending one gun in...may shoot a little flatter and the gun may get some 3" shells run through it.

Thanks Nova.

The Silver Monte is what I was looking at. I personally could care less about the gold inlays, but I do like the better wood on the more expensive guns.

Agm, I have never had a ported gun either, but I have shot a couple and like them. The Benelli chokes look as good as anything on the market, it would just be nice to have a couple I don't need to use tools on when shooting clay birds. Just a convience.

I was planning on sending a feather weight .270 in to Magnaport and it looks like they take half off porting a second gun...:rolleyes:. Not too concerned about recoil on a 20ga auto, but if I am already sending one gun in...may shoot a little flatter and the gun may get some 3" shells run through it.

Amen on the Monty... I really am enjoying my new (since November) Montefeltro Silver in 20 gauge. It's light in the field (5.5 lbs) and you can carry it all day, it's beautiful to look at, and it performs just great! I do mostly quail, pheasant, and dove with it. I put a ported extended Briley choke on it and I really like it. The Monty comes with the shims to need to make it fit you bod. I needed to drop and stock to get a good fit but it was easy to do with the supplied shims and instructions. I would give it serious consideration.

Yeah, the Silver Monte (not the Full) was what initially caught my eye. Beautiful wood, great lines and unbelievable weight. I mostly hunted upland (quail, dove & pheasant) and would have chosen this 20 years ago with no hesitation. Now I can put a skeet range in the backyard to go with the rifle range and know that 90% of my shooting is going to be "plinking" with maybe the occaisional bird hunt thrown in.

Buy the barrel length you want on the gun. Barrels are $460, and even if you have the dough, good luck getting one. You will order one, and wait months and months and months for it. Benelli makes a great gun, just don't buy one expecting to swap parts around, as you will end up canceling your order in frustration long before your part arrives.

Buy the barrel length you want on the gun. Barrels are $460, and even if you have the dough, good luck getting one. You will order one, and wait months and months and months for it. Benelli makes a great gun, just don't buy one expecting to swap parts around, as you will end up canceling your order in frustration long before your part arrives.

Yeah, that is what I am going to wind up doing. I have the gun I want, I just need to wait another 24hrs to finalize it. Assuming the price does not get astronomical, I will let you guys know when finished (:cool:don't wanna jinx it).

For general purpose, the 26" twenties are hard to beat. Especially when you have the option of 3" shells. Would be nice to have a spare barrel, but I have found none for a Monte or Legacy (barrel only) and have looked for several days.

Wait, you're actually going to SHOOT a LE LEGACY?1!?!? NOT JUST TAKE PICTURES OF IT?!>1?!!

Don't tell m1014, he will have a heart attack.

Shoot it?

I have already cleared some land out back for my skeet range.

I wanted to make sure I had an appropriate setting in which to shoot.

Can't have the common rabble interfering with my concentration, bonding with my gun and sense of wa.

:p