Looking at new scopes 4-12x range, any suggestions?

TokenWhiteMale

Any of you guys have any experience with the Leupold VXII 4-12x 40mm adjustable objective?

I am looking to replace a Leupy 2-7 Ultralight on a .270.

Will be using it for target, varmit (ground squirrels) and deer. Most shots will be under 500yrds.

Have a Burris 4.5-14x and it's just a bit too big & heavy on a hunting gun.

Feel free to chime in with other decent scopes. Preference given for smallest size & Leupold seems to have the edge across the board in that area.

Thanks

I've had exceptional service from a half-dozen Leupold scopes. I put a VXIII 4.5-14x40AO on a Tikka .30-06 about 8 years ago for deer, elk and antelope. I liked the setup so well I bought another Tikka in .22-250 and mounted it with an identical Leupold for varmints (mostly 'yotes and ground squirrels), but also ended up using it on javelina.

While the AO feature has been useful and has helped my long-range confidence, I don't use it a lot and certainly don't consider it necessary. On the other hand, the only negative I've found is the added cost. With the Tikkas, I was able to get away with the low 1" rings.

Edited by wornsoles

Thanks wornsoles. I am looking at the same usage for this gun, so thanks for the post.

I fall asleep with the coyetes at night, but am not averse to removing them from local ranches (along with the squirrels).

The vxII & III 4-12 can also be had pretty reasonalble, like new on ebay for under $400. Leupold was the only scope Grandpa would let me put this gun he built. I don't regret it and own a couple others. I have never seen a bad one.

If I can find a mint VXIII, that would be my preference. More reticle options also.

What loads are you using in the '06 for varmit hunting & have you tried the Remington sabot loads in it?

Edited by TokenWhiteMale

I'll bet tucker's suggestion is a good one. There are definitely better prices available to someone with a little knowledge and effort.

I probably wasn't clear enough. My .22-250 is my dedicated varmint rifle, shooting not larger than 3/8" groups at 100 yards. It drops coyotes in their tracks and literally "mist"-ifies ground squirrels.

While my '06 was meant for big game only, I've dusted a few coyotes while big game hunting when they offered the shot when it didn't interfere with the deer/elk/antelope hunt. It shoots an honest one-hole group at 100 yards with 165 grain Hornadys. That accuracy is what prompted me to buy the Tikka .22-250. The specific .30-06 load it prefers is 57.0 grains IMR 4350 with a WLR primer and a Hornady 165 grain BTSP bullet seated just off the lands. It also shoots the Hornady 165 SST-IB bullet with the same primer/powder combo into

But, I don't take the '06 out expressly to shoot varmints even though it is obviously capable of the task. I've never tried sabots.

My previous primary big game/varmint combo rifle was a Remington 700 .270 with a VXIII 3.5-10AO. It's a great rifle, but I used the AO feature less, for whatever reason, than I do now. I had great success with both 130 and 150 grain bullets for deer and 100 grain bullets for varmints.

This is probably more than you really wanted to know. :)

Yeah, the one I singled out, the seller did not even bother to go beyone "Big game scope".:p

Barely missed a VXIII 4.5-14x (older model) for $1.

Kinda bummed about that one that got away...:mad:

Keep a close watch on ebay for listings with brand names spelled incorrectly.

That cuts the search results down considerably and makes easier pickings for the savvy buyer.

I'm shooting the SST also out of the .270. Great bullet.

130gr for deer & I use the BTSP 110 for varmits/coyotes & big bore plinking. Same thing here with the vaporization of the criters at long range. That necked down 'o6 really does a number with those lighter bullets.

MOA groups are not a problem with either load. I think I got lucky with the barrel, as it is a 700 Rem. Mountain Rifle (featherweight profile), action bedded, barrel floated w/ laminated glass pressure point up front. It is the most accurate sporter gun I have shot.

I will post a pic after I get the new scope mounted.

Love to see some pics of your babies too.

I'll bet tucker's suggestion is a good one. There are definitely better prices available to someone with a little knowledge and effort.

I probably wasn't clear enough. My .22-250 is my dedicated varmint rifle, shooting not larger than 3/8" groups at 100 yards. It drops coyotes in their tracks and literally "mist"-ifies ground squirrels.

While my '06 was meant for big game only, I've dusted a few coyotes while big game hunting when they offered the shot when it didn't interfere with the deer/elk/antelope hunt. It shoots an honest one-hole group at 100 yards with 165 grain Hornadys. That accuracy is what prompted me to buy the Tikka .22-250. The specific .30-06 load it prefers is 57.0 grains IMR 4350 with a WLR primer and a Hornady 165 grain BTSP bullet seated just off the lands. It also shoots the Hornady 165 SST-IB bullet with the same primer/powder combo into

But, I don't take the '06 out expressly to shoot varmints even though it is obviously capable of the task. I've never tried sabots.

My previous primary big game/varmint combo rifle was a Remington 700 .270 with a VXIII 3.5-10AO. It's a great rifle, but I used the AO feature less, for whatever reason, than I do now. I had great success with both 130 and 150 grain bullets for deer and 100 grain bullets for varmints.

This is probably more than you really wanted to know. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

try www.natchezss.com ,they cant be beat on prices. i got a simmons 6x24x50 for my 7mm mag for $65.00 plus sh. it is a bad azz scope i replaced my leupold 4x10x44 with it and im not sorry.the simmons is clearer than the leupold. they have every scope you can name including Zeiss if you want to get really elaborate.you dont need to spend a fortune to get a good scope, unless your just big on the names.:cool:

Edited by splashtx556ftw