Rail Question(s)

BigHat

Good morning. I have a new M4 sitting in a box and have really enjoyed the insights I've gleaned from this site thus far.

I've ordered a Ti full-length mag tube from one of our associates here, a tatical sling, and an EoTech XPS optic.

I read with great interest that the picatinney rail on the M4 isn't the best and that others are making an improved rail. My question is does anyone have an opinion on the Mesa Tactical rail that integrates a shell holder? It looks like a good piece of gear, but wanted to check with you all here.

It appears the screw length issue has been resolved. True?

Is it hard to get the factory rail off?

Thanks to all again for your posts in this forum. Really helps a new owner.

There was the whole thread that you probably saw here:

I was pretty sure the Mesa came up in that thread but I might have been dreaming. You might see where cleefurd is on his rails to compare with the mesa one.

Thanks. I did read this. Mesa does come up as having a tab-like connections much like the Benelli. That remark and others related to optics flying off the Benelli rail just have me a bit concerned. Just wasn't sure if that was a widely held opinion.

May wait for Cleefurd's rail, but I still have an unresolved shell holder issue if I go that route.

The Mesa rail is junk imho. It flexes the reciever and cannot be tightened down more than a few inch # of tq if you want to get your barrel back in the weapon. Very poor design.

Thanks.

Moved an EoTech 516 I had on my PS90 to the M4 rail today and it seems solid. Cnx'd my order for the XPS sight and bought a T-1 on a LaRue mount to install on the FN.

Beginning to think no carrier on the weapon itself is all that important. As a home defense weapon, 6 or 8 rds is enough, and if you need to bug out, a bandolier is probably the best approach.

If and when somebody makes a good picatinney rail for the M4 I'll buy it.

Thanks.

Moved an EoTech 516 I had on my PS90 to the M4 rail today and it seems solid. Cnx'd my order for the XPS sight and bought a T-1 on a LaRue mount to install on the FN.

Beginning to think no carrier on the weapon itself is all that important. As a home defense weapon, 6 or 8 rds is enough, and if you need to bug out, a bandolier is probably the best approach.

If and when somebody makes a good picatinney rail for the M4 I'll buy it.

Kip (user Cleefurd) should have one out in a few weeks. Expect over the top quality from him. He delivers.

I feel that 9 rounds in my M4 is enough.

Until Cleefurd comes out with the rail, I plan on buying an Aimpoint T1 with their QR mount. Here is a link to a thread where a guy really helped me with some info!

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=440310&page=1

Complete with pix. This mount is by Aimpoint, (calling them tomorrow for info on it), and is QR, and is the lowest profile QR mount in existance for the Micro T1. Also, the guy telling me about it has fired 3" slugs through his M4 with it mounted to no ill effect.

Cleefurd makes no such abomination. Full length tubes only. :p

So true. A misstatement on my part. :D

That AR15 thread is disappointing. I guess the LaRue will sit idle until I can get a good rail. That picture of it sitting on the M4 sort of convinced me it would work and always thought LaRue made good gear so just went with the flow. Thanks for the link. As it's going on a PS90 at first and the Eotech is staying on the M4 I should be able to wait.

Edited by BigHat

So true. A misstatement on my part. :D

That AR15 thread is disappointing. I guess the LaRue will sit idle until I can get a good rail. That picture of it sitting on the M4 sort of convinced me it would work and always thought LaRue made good gear so just went with the flow. Thanks for the link. As it's going on a PS90 at first and the Eotech is staying on the M4 I should be able to wait.

LaRue DOES make top notch gear.

His mount is rock solid, the awful m4 stock rail is not.

Thus, why the rail needs replacing.

LaRue DOES make top notch gear.

His mount is rock solid, the awful m4 stock rail is not.

Thus, why the rail needs replacing.

+1

and FWIW, LaRue gave me a full refund on both the optic and mount when my M4 shredded his mount. I saw no need for the optic since the M4 was why I bought the optic. Mark may make a total fool of himself on his message board at times, but make no mistake, he stands behind his product 100%.