m2 compared to an m4?

awmp

How do the two compare? I had an M4 and sold it (worst thing I have ever done) and now have a chance to get a like new M2 with rifle sights (it does not have the extended mag tube). Any and all info would be helpful, thanks

I have an M1 and an M4. I have not shot the M4 yet, but will do so this week, so I don't have much to add. However, the difference in weight is VERY noticeable, with the M1 feeling light as a feather after handling the M4. Due to this lightness, the M1 seems to swing, point and acquire faster, but also has a pretty hefty kick to it. I'm hoping the M4 is considerably more tame.

Duggan, I think I ran across one of your posts on Arfcom with a pic of an M4 with collapsible stock. I'm curious if you own both stocks or like the full PG stock better or what.

OP, I don't mean to hijack, sorry if it's taken that way.

I like the collapsible stock solely because it lets me shoot in the middle (shorter) shooting position, which I prefer over the full LOP on the fixed stock or fully extended collapsible one. If you prefer the LOP of the fixed stock, there is no reason to get a collapsible one, as the fixed stock has a better cheek weld, feels sturdier and just better in my opinion.

I sold my collapsible stock because quite frankly they are not worth $800, especially when I bought mine for like $220 a few years ago. I used the money towards another rifle.

Would I buy one at the $800-1000 price point? Absolutely not. If I wanted one again I would maybe go as high as $500, but I don't know if they will ever reach that point again.

Hello awmp. I had the same question as you before I settled on the M2 Tactical. My M2T only has about 200 rounds through it, but it shoots like a dream and is lighter than the M4 which I have handled. Most M4 owners on this forum will tell you that the M4 is so much better than the M2, but I don't buy it. The M4 is an outstanding combat scattergun, I'm not denying that, but after watching Tom Knapp and his fellow exhibition shooter buddy with their M2's and the US Army Shooting Team members with their M2's, I came to realize that I don't need anything "better" than an M2. It's inertia driven system has been around alot longer that the M4's ARGO system and the fact that most of the Benelli shotguns including the top-of-the-line clay and hunting models use the inertia driven system is a testament to how proven and reliable it is.

On the other hand, if you plan on mounting a bunch of heavy add-ons, then the M4 might be for you. I know of other fellow law enforcement officers who have been shooting M1's for years with mag extensions and surefire lights on them with no problems. Mine will soon have these accessories and I will test it with many rounds to see if I can dispell the "myths".

Hope this helps.

Here is my viewpoint:

As much as people here would love to belive the M4 is the end all it really isn't. Sure it is used in LE and Military service operations but so are many other shotguns.

I myself would love to replace my departed SNT with a M4 but to make it how I want will turn it into a $2,000 gun. If it came like it should in 6+1 capacity and people weren't gouging on collapsable stocks I would own one tommorow.

Here is my viewpoint:

As much as people here would love to belive the M4 is the end all it really isn't. Sure it is used in LE and Military service operations but so are many other shotguns.

I myself would love to replace my departed SNT with a M4 but to make it how I want will turn it into a $2,000 gun. If it came like it should in 6+1 capacity and people weren't gouging on collapsable stocks I would own one tommorow.

Collapsible stocks are a bling item pretty much. The full-length tubes can be had as cheap as $100 (for a good one).

Collapsible stocks are a bling item pretty much. The full-length tubes can be had as cheap as $100 (for a good one).

A gun like the M4 shouldn't need a high capacity tube added when it carries a MSRP of $1500. Not to mention I won't buy a non OE tube much less do what it takes to install one. But I guess this is what you have to deal with when it comes to imported guns.

A gun like the M4 shouldn't need a high capacity tube added when it carries a MSRP of $1500. Not to mention I won't buy a non OE tube much less do what it takes to install one. But I guess this is what you have to deal with when it comes to imported guns.

You have the ATF to thank for that one, it would actually be cheaper for Benelli to ship the gun with a one piece 7 round tube, as it means it's one thing they machine, not two.

If you won't buy or install a non OEM tube, I don't know what you tell you, as now you're just being irrational.

I took the M4 to the range today. It's been a couple weeks since I shot the M1, so maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but if there is any difference in recoil when using full loads, it is not significant in my opinion. I hunt with a Browning A5, which kicks twice, and a Rem 1100, which is mild-mannered, and own the two Benellis and a Beretta 1201FP, basically the same gun as an M1. IMHO, the M4 kicks with the best of them, or at least nearly so.

But the huge difference between the M1 and M4 is cycling reliability. My M1 has a mag extension and a 10 oz Surefire light. It would not cycle light loads reliably with or without the light. It also would not cycle heavy loads reliably with the light. After cleaning and replacement of the recoil spring with a Wolff heavy spring, It will now cycle heavy loads reliably with the light (I think).

Today I oiled up the M4 and started with AA 2 3/4 dram skeet loads. The first round was a FTE. After that, it ripped off 70 rounds of the light skeet loads without a single hiccup. I then switched to the heavy stuff: Hornady TAP, Winchester military grade, Rem Express, Win XX, all 3 3/4 drams I believe. I shot about 50 rounds of this stuff, again without a hiccup. I could literally FEEL that there was zero chance any of the heavy stuff was going to short cycle. The cycle process just felt very,very positive.

So, the difference between the two is the certainty (at least in my mind) that the M4 is going to work. I think you can get the same certainty with an M1 until you start hanging stuff on them. I'm keeping them both, but if one has to go, bye-bye M1. I'm thinking of selling the 1201FP.

I hope that helps you with your decision.

You have the ATF to thank for that one, it would actually be cheaper for Benelli to ship the gun with a one piece 7 round tube, as it means it's one thing they machine, not two.

If you won't buy or install a non OEM tube, I don't know what you tell you, as now you're just being irrational.

+1

I heated up the area where the tube screws in with my heat-gun, wrapped a pair of boxers I had laying on my floor around the reciever, set it on my computer chair cushion that I am sitting on as I type this, and took my man hands and un-screwed the tube slowly while heating the reciever periodically.

It was very simple.

No CLP was boiled off, no smoke was created, nothing was damaged, and no animals were harmed.

I am not one to go meddling with things often, but this was simple and well worth it.

+1

I heated up the area where the tube screws in with my heat-gun, wrapped a pair of boxers I had laying on my floor around the reciever, set it on my computer chair cushion that I am sitting on as I type this, and took my man hands and un-screwed the tube slowly while heating the reciever periodically.

It was very simple.

No CLP was boiled off, no smoke was created, nothing was damaged, and no animals were harmed.

I am not one to go meddling with things often, but this was simple and well worth it.

I'm so proud of you, you managed to do it without hurting yourself!