Titanium charging handle...

jantonio54

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey man,

If it saves you any time, Brownelles will be getting a new shipment in for the Charging Handles this week. I ordered one already because I wasnt able to find them anywhere else. I called yesterday and they confirmed what I was told last monday.

Leo is right, I just got a letter from Brownells this morning to inform me Design Concepts has dropped the item from the factory inventory, its no longer available. Anyone that has an extra let me know........I will pay double! I dont want the GG&G, but I dont want the factory either.

Guest cleefurd
Yeah, I just got the notice, too. Looks like we hope for Carriercomp to come up with one. Cleefurd says in a thread below that they have received the material to begin production.

We did in fact get material for our run, just before ramping up for production on 2 other items.

Design concepts appeared to be the only one with every aspect of the insertion stem being in correct form, geometry, etc. The reason we post-poned our version was due to careful consideration of all grievances put forth by current owners of the current offerings (from GG&G Design Concepts, etc). We are reluctant to point out their faults by direct association, but will say that we had heard of the following problems with various after-market bolt handles;

• Rotated freely rather than holding position
  • Too big or heavy (the 3/4" dia steel versions)
  • Not durable... stems that would bend
  • Too similar to OEM
  • Would not fit
  • Exceedingly difficult to remove
  • Parts flying off during use

This list encompassed all research we had done, and applies to varying suppliers of the bolt handle.

Our delay is prudent measure to proceed with the Picatinny replacement rails and OEM repro choke mounted recoil reducers, as well as catch up on magazine tubes. All 3 tasks are proceeding VERY well. The bolt handles have thus had good time to be scrutinized and refined at the conceptual level, so that we may commence when able (soon) on a version that will side-step any and all short-comings encountered by consumers of other variants. Crazy about making m4's more supreme. It's an illness. Please understand we dream about these things. Then we build them (or at least work TOWARDS that day)

Edited by cleefurd

We did in fact get material for our run, just before ramping up for production on 2 other items.

Design concepts appeared to be the only one with every aspect of the insertion stem being in correct form, geometry, etc. The reason we post-poned our version was due to careful consideration of all grievances put forth by current owners of the current offerings (from GG&G Design Concepts, etc). We are reluctant to point out their faults by direct association, but will say that we had heard of the following problems with various after-market bolt handles;

• Too similar to OEM
  • Would not fit

This list encompassed all research we had done, and applies to varying suppliers of the bolt handle.

Our delay is prudent measure to proceed with the Picatinny replacement rails and OEM repro choke mounted recoil reducers, as well as catch up on magazine tubes. All 3 tasks are proceeding VERY well. The bolt handles have thus had good time to be scrutinized and refined at the conceptual level, so that we may commence when able (soon) on a version that will side-step any and all short-comings encountered by consumers of other variants. Crazy about making m4's more supreme. It's an illness. Please understand we dream about these things. Then we build them (or at least work TOWARDS that day)

And that is why you are the rising star of the M4 world.

Don't think that your efforts go unnoticed ...

• Too similar to OEM
  • Would not fit

I ordered a DC Titanium bolt handle the other day. Brownells told me it would be in my hands in 10 days. Either I got part of the last run, or they will notify me that they are going to remove a charge from my CC. Assuming I DID get part of the last run, am I to understand that I lucked into buying the ONLY aftermarket bolt that is structurally CORRECT until yours hits the market (Please, by all means, DO NOT shift focus from that rail! I dream about it as well).

And that is why you are the rising star of the M4 world.

Don't think that your efforts go unnoticed ...

+1, Kip is the only person out there listening to people on the user level, assessing the need himself, and then acting upon the vacuum in the market. If he maintains his quality at it's present level and can expand his operation without sacrificing it, while keeping his prices within a decent percent margin of their current level, he is going to make some real money off of this, and I for one hope he does. I think ingenuity and craftmanship should be fully rewarded. This isn't China.

THANKYOU FOR YOUR TIME and ENERGIES KIP!

Guest cleefurd
I ordered a DC Titanium bolt handle the other day. Brownells told me it would be in my hands in 10 days. Either I got part of the last run, or they will notify me that they are going to remove a charge from my CC. Assuming I DID get part of the last run, am I to understand that I lucked into buying the ONLY aftermarket bolt that is structurally CORRECT until yours hits the market (Please, by all means, DO NOT shift focus from that rail! I dream about it as well).

Their latest offering (Design Concept's) did/does appear to have everything going for it, having made apparent adjustments to correct their previous flaws as I understood them to be. Keep in mind that I am offering second hand knowledge to the best of my information as follows;

• Design Concept's latest version of the bolt handle is/was a sound choice, and presented no known draw-backs.
  • Until carriercomp's is available, I would recommend theirs, and have heard good things about it. In all honesty, their's appears to be ideal. A few aspects could be changed, but only by virtue of technical design, rather than any deficiency.

Edited by cleefurd

Their latest offering (Design Concept's) did/does appear to have everything going for it, having made apparent adjustments to correct their previous flaws as I understood them to be. Keep in mind that I am offering second hand knowledge to the best of my information as follows;

• Design Concept's latest version of the bolt handle is/was a sound choice, and presented no known draw-backs.
  • Until carriercomp's is available, I would recommend theirs, and have heard good things about it. In all honesty, their's appears to be ideal. A few aspects could be changed, but only by virtue of technical design, rather than any deficiency.

Theirs is pretty much perfect.

If you can somehow improve upon it ... more power to you.

handles02.jpg

Any expierce with the kz products? they appear to relatively soft if people with the gg&g are bending/or shearin a 45c part then the 34c part would bend easier, right?

Judging from the photos, the KZ is essentially the same as the GGG (maybe a little longer). It appears to be approximately the same size, and it has the same shape to the end that engages the action (i.e. it'll spin like the GGG one does). I noticed that the hardness was a little less than the GGG, but I think that it is otherwise a copy of the GGG peice ... Just made with cheaper material.

I don't have extra money to throw around and buy one of each, but I don't think the KZ is any better based on my visual assessment.

Edited by LeoAtrox

Guest cleefurd
Yes, they are unobtanium, Unobtanium.

But the pressure is very real. We might have to step up the time-line, more soon.

But the pressure is very real. We might have to step up the time-line, more soon.

Indeed, but not at the expense of that rail! :p

I did, however, miss this:

IMPORTANT! We have been experiencing product demand similar in nature to that of all firearms related merchants. Similarly we have recently found it necessary to ask your help in enhancing our efficiency, and afford us the opportunity to focus our efforts on production, while keeping phone and email correspondance to a bare minimum.

I promise no more phone calls until things are up to speed! I am just a curious person who likes to know more about metallurgy than I can comprehend. :o

Guest cleefurd
Indeed, but not at the expense of that rail! :p

I am just a curious person who likes to know more about metallurgy than I can comprehend.

THAT I did notice. Hard = brittle, not so hard = tough, T3/T6, 6000 v 7000 series, umm, seems as though you already know more about it than most can comprehend.... and you thought I wasn't paying attention:)