Anyone shooting 3/4oz loads in their 20ga?

Anybody have any experience reloading 3/4oz 20ga shells?

Any powders or loads you care to reccomend for primarily clays?

Looking for high velocity loadings.

There are quite a few recipes with International Clays powder and WAA wads, but I am considering picking up a bunch of 1/8 felt wads for under the (reduced) shot charge in the shot cup. Better crimps too.

The only recipes seem to be for STS & WWAA hulls with the lighter shot charge.

Anyone try the Fiocchi hulls reloading?

If you have tried the felt wads in your reloads let's hear some feedback please.

M4 owners feel free to tease me about the sissy loads.:cool:

• 3 weeks later...

I shoot a lot of 3/4 oz loads in the 20 ga. I am using H-Universal powder in a AA hull with the AA-20 wad, which takes a 3/4 oz load nicely. Since I am shooting a SxS, I am not sure if this load will function in an inertia-operated semi-auto, but it works fine for me on targets.

• 3 weeks later...

You might try 15 grains of Green Dot behind a AA 20 or Orange Duster wad. It takes a 24-25 MEC bushing to achieve this load and the extra bulk should eliminate the need for the felt wad. (This is a published load.)

I have also used 16 grains of IMR PB. (24-25 MEC Bushing) with the same wads. This isn't published but I still have all my fingers and both eyes.

The PB load functioned a couple different 1100 and my Franchi 620. How it would work in an ID gun is a good guess.

I shoot 7/8 oz in the 20 ga. I loaded the 3/4 for my daughter. I own 3 28ga guns so if I feel the need to shoot 3/4 of an oz, I just go down a gauge.

DumbDuck

You might try 15 grains of Green Dot behind a AA 20 or Orange Duster wad. It takes a 24-25 MEC bushing to achieve this load and the extra bulk should eliminate the need for the felt wad. (This is a published load.)

I have also used 16 grains of IMR PB. (24-25 MEC Bushing) with the same wads. This isn't published but I still have all my fingers and both eyes.

The PB load functioned a couple different 1100 and my Franchi 620. How it would work in an ID gun is a good guess.

I shoot 7/8 oz in the 20 ga. I loaded the 3/4 for my daughter. I own 3 28ga guns so if I feel the need to shoot 3/4 of an oz, I just go down a gauge.

DumbDuck

Using loads that are not in a published powder manufacturer's data book is unwise, at best, unless you've actually sent samples to a reputable testing facility, and know the peak pressure.

Using a load recommended by someone on an internet forum like this, especially one that is not published in a powder manufacturer's data book, is downright stupid.

There are SOOOO many volumes of published, known safe data available, why anyone would go out on their own and use an untested, off the books load is beyond my ability to comprehend.

JMHO

tokenwhitemale,

If you want the answers to your questions, I recommend you pick up the phone and call the powder manufacturers and ask their technicians.

Hodgdon is just down the road from where I live, I know some of the Hodgdon family members, and their techs are always helpful.

Try to get Ron Reiber if you call Hodgdon. Ron is one of their product line managers, not to mention he's a master class sporting clays shooter, who almost always uses a 28 gauge. Good guy.

:eek:ALWAYS,ALWAYS...STICK TO THE RECIPE. NEVER ALTER IT, THERE IS A REASON FOR EVERYTHING IN IT.YOUR GUN MAY SHOOT AN ALTERED LOAD 1000 TIMES WITHOUT FAIL, BUT IT MAY BE WEAKING IT WITH EVERY SHOT YOU TAKE AS WELL. YOU MAY NOT GET TO TELL ANYONE ABOUT THAT 1001 SHOT THAT WENT WRONG.

NOT MENTION VOIDING THE WARRENTY ON YOUR GUN,AS WELL AS POSSIBLY ENDANGERING YOURS OR SOMEONE ELSES LIFE.

Edited by splashtx556ftw

THANKS FOR THE SAFETY TIPS GUYS.

I WAS GOING TO TRY 30 GRAINS OF UNIQUE WITH AN OUNCE OF GRAVEL FROM MY DRIVEWAY BEFORE I HAD READ THE SUGGESTIONS :confused:.

Can we go back to the reasonable man standard here guys?

Not everyone on the internet lacks common sense. I had a pretty specific question soliciting input from people who had actually tried 3/4 oz loads in their 20 ga reloads.

No offense intended, but some of you need to lighten up a bit & tailor your posts to the person you are responding to.

Safety is always my first consideration with all firearms and has been since about age 6.

Peas be upon you my brothers in arms.:D

Shoot safe & often

"Can we go back to the reasonable man standard here guys?"

"No offense intended, but some of you need to lighten up a bit & tailor your posts to the person you are responding to."

There's nothing in your original or succeeding posts that would lead anyone to the conclusion you know anything at all about reloading, hence the words of caution.