20 gauge for turkeys

DU4ME2

I've decided this year I was going to try it.....Shooting a Nova, with an Undertaker tube, Kent Diamond 3" 1 1/4 #5...Did a pattern test at 40 yards..7 pellets in the head and neck area.....Is 40 to far??? Should I try maybe 30???

That all depends on where you'll be hunting. The area I hunted this year offered me shots from 20 to 40 yards so I patterned my Remington 870 with an H.S. UnderTaker out to 40 yards and found that the Winchester Super-X Turkey loads (3" 1 7/8 oz #5) patterned better (average 20 pellets per shot, five shots fired) over the Remington Nitro Turkey Ext. Range Magnum loads (3" 1 7/8 oz of #5). The Remington's pattern density was fine but the pattern was spread out more than the Winchesters. Seven pellets will be lethal provided it's consistent.

I've decided this year I was going to try it.....Shooting a Nova, with an Undertaker tube, Kent Diamond 3" 1 1/4 #5...Did a pattern test at 40 yards..7 pellets in the head and neck area.....Is 40 to far??? Should I try maybe 30???

If your not happy with that pattern, Try a different load. Is the Kent Diamond a ''turkey load"? I haven't heard of it, but kent ammo isn't around here.

I did a pattern test at 30 yards....I had more consistant hits at that yardage....Looked in to the Winchester extended range loads, but it was only 1 oz compared to Kents 1 1/4....Price wise, the Kents I paid $8.00 for 10 shots and Winchesters was 3 times that for 10 shots....I figured if I can get him within 25 yards, should be able to drop him.... The Kent loads are Turkey Loads and are called Ultimate Diamond Shot...Guess we will find out this week......

Edited by DU4ME2

I did a pattern test at 30 yards....I had more consistant hits at that yardage....Looked in to the Winchester extended range loads, but it was only 1 oz compared to Kents 1 1/4....Price wise, the Kents I paid $8.00 for 10 shots and Winchesters was 3 times that for 10 shots....I figured if I can get him within 25 yards, should be able to drop him.... The Kent loads are Turkey Loads and are called Ultimate Diamond Shot...Guess we will find out this week......

Good luck. like you tested, 40 yards is max. for a 20 gauge.

Is the Kent Diamond a ''turkey load"? I haven't heard of it, but kent ammo isn't around here.

Kent Cartridge Ultimate Diamond Shot Turkey Shotshells (if those are what he's using) are readily available west of the Mississippi from Bass Pro Shops, Dick's Sporting Goods, and Sportsman’s Warehouse. Not sure about the east side.

I have only shot a couple of boxes of Kent Velocity through my Winchester 1400 and didn't do any worse than normal at the trap range but never patterned them purposely. The price on the Kent’s ($7.79) were about 30% higher than the Win Super-X ($5.99) I normally shoot so I haven't gone back to them since.

Kent Cartridge Ultimate Diamond Shot Turkey Shotshells (if those are what he's using) are readily available west of the Mississippi from Bass Pro Shops, Dick's Sporting Goods, and Sportsman’s Warehouse. Not sure about the east side.

I have only shot a couple of boxes of Kent Velocity through my Winchester 1400 and didn't do any worse than normal at the trap range but never patterned them purposely. The price on the Kent’s ($7.79) were about 30% higher than the Win Super-X ($5.99) I normally shoot so I haven't gone back to them since.

We "the people of Central Illinois" only have Kent products in Steel. They seemed high priced as well.

• 2 weeks later...

My 12yr. old son took his first turkey this year with his Benelli Ultra Lite 20ga.He was shooting factory full and 3in Winchester Supreme Double X Magnum turkey loads 1 1/4 #5 shot. The turkey was shot at 32yds. Flopped a couple of times and that was it. That load would decapitate at 17yds and shot well out to 40yds. 9 pellets in the kill zone at 40, 17 at 30yds

I shoot a 20 Nova, Rhino 575, Nitro 457s. I can put 194 pellets in the ever-so magical 10" circle at a measured 40 yds. I misjudged 1 bird & shot him at 55 yds. as dead as a 30 yd. shot. A 20 ga. will kill a turkey as far & as dead as a 12 ga.

BOB

amazing!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Savage 12FVSS in 22-250 cut and re-crowned to 24"

B&C Medalist stock (just added that a couple of weeks ago)

Leupold 6.5-20x50mm (57180)

Kenton Industries TTC dial - custom tuned for 50 grain V-Max @ 3,750 fps.

Savage makes great rifles. Why did you get it cut?