Kinda Funny

Novaking

Not funny!! When will people learn?? Although there is no outright threat being made, one could possibly interpret the poster as threatning the CIC when you put guns next his likeness.

Before or after it grows. I didn't know he had a ''likeness'' about him at all.

Before or after it grows. I didn't know he had a ''likeness'' about him at all.

The thing is a chia OBAMA. The guise is that it looks like him before and after growth. Putting guns next to a chia Obama or anything Obama, could be interpreted wrong, irregardless of whatever your point may be.

People have to be smarter or when/if these gun laws change we will have noone to blame but ourselves.

The thing is a chia OBAMA. The guise is that it looks like him before and after growth. Putting guns next to a chia Obama or anything Obama, could be interpreted wrong, irregardless of whatever your point may be.

People have to be smarter or when/if these gun laws change we will have noone to blame but ourselves.

It could be interpreted almost as bad as someone doing a low-level fly-by of NYC in a large jet near where the twin towers used to stand.

It could be interpreted almost as bad as someone doing a low-level fly-by of NYC in a large jet near where the twin towers used to stand.

Exactly. Me, you, and Obama are all upset about that. :p

Only difference is unless flying large jets at a low level is your hobby/passion, those laws have no affect on you. If firearm collecting/target shooting, etc, is your passion, I don't see how you can't see how something like this can be detrimental to your hobby/passion.

We have far too many Pvt. Pyles messing it up for the rest of us. Now when one of them finally pushes things too far with a comment, or action, and the rest of us have to run an extra 10 miles (ie: suffer under an AWB, or worse) because of them, we'll wish we would have put our soapbars in our socks (ie: not condoned/publicized the stupidity) and taught 'em a lesson (spoke up about how mixing guns and anything Obama related isn't the smartest thing to do).

Disagree with who the CIC is all you want in private, but watch what you say, or post in public/public forums. What I'm saying is actions such as this, gives them more ammunition (no pun) to push for bans and law changes. It's stupidity like this that makes the media, and lawmakers unable to separate someone who has mental issues and shoots innocents for little to no reason, from a law-abiding citizen who happens to like collecting firearms as a hobby. The person who is growing that Chibama may be the latter, but if, just if he was the former, how do you think that reflects on everyone who congratulated/celebrated his post, or thought there was humor in that post? How do you think everyone who got a chuckle from those pictures would be perceived, from the media/lawmakers viewpoint then?

Exactly. Me, you, and Obama are all upset about that. :p

Only difference is unless flying large jets at a low level is your hobby/passion, those laws have no affect on you. If firearm collecting/target shooting, etc, is your passion, I don't see how you can't see how something like this can be detrimental to your hobby/passion.

We have far too many Pvt. Pyles messing it up for the rest of us. Now when one of them finally pushes things too far with a comment, or action, and the rest of us have to run an extra 10 miles (ie: suffer under an AWB, or worse) because of them, we'll wish we would have put our soapbars in our socks (ie: not condoned/publicized the stupidity) and taught 'em a lesson (spoke up about how mixing guns and anything Obama related isn't the smartest thing to do).

Disagree with who the CIC is all you want in private, but watch what you say, or post in public/public forums. What I'm saying is actions such as this, gives them more ammunition (no pun) to push for bans and law changes. It's stupidity like this that makes the media, and lawmakers unable to separate someone who has mental issues and shoots innocents for little to no reason, from a law-abiding citizen who happens to like collecting firearms as a hobby. The person who is growing that Chibama may be the latter, but if, just if he was the former, how do you think that reflects on everyone who congratulated/celebrated his post, or thought there was humor in that post? How do you think everyone who got a chuckle from those pictures would be perceived, from the media/lawmakers viewpoint then?

There is a fine line in what can be said about the POTUS:

18 USC Sec. 871

(a) Whoever knowingly and willfully deposits for conveyance in the mail or for a delivery from any post office or by any letter carrier any letter, paper, writing, print, missive, or document containing any threat to take the life of, to kidnap, or to inflict bodily harm upon the President of the United States, the President-elect, the Vice President or other officer next in the order of succession to the office of President of the United States, or the Vice President-elect, or knowingly and willfully otherwise makes any such threat against the President, President-elect, Vice President or other officer next in the order of succession to the office of President, or Vice President-elect, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

(b) The terms “President-elect” and “Vice President-elect” as used in this section shall mean such persons as are the apparent successful candidates for the offices of President and Vice President, respectively, as ascertained from the results of the general elections held to determine the electors of President and Vice President in accordance with title 3, United States Code, sections 1 and 2. The phrase “other officer next in the order of succession to the office of President” as used in this section shall mean the person next in the order of succession to act as President in accordance with title 3, United States Code, sections 19 and 20.

*I added the underlines to hi-lite the meat of the document.

Now, NOTHING about placing a pistol next to a figurine of the POTUS growing organic hair from its hair is making any kind of threat as detailed above any more than a 21-gun-salute is making a threat against an airline. But...you say...it could be INTERPRETED as a threat. Well did the person placing the pistol in that photo KNOWINGLY or WILLFULLY threaten Obama? I do not think he did, nor would any court in the land. It was a purely political statement.

Here is some further reading:

http://usgovinfo.about.com/library/weekly/aa040398.htm

Edited by Unobtanium

18 USC Sec. 871

(a) Whoever knowingly and willfully deposits for conveyance in the mail or for a delivery from any post office or by any letter carrier any letter, paper, writing, print, missive, or document containing any threat to take the life of, to kidnap, or to inflict bodily harm upon the President of the United States, the President-elect, the Vice President or other officer next in the order of succession to the office of President of the United States, or the Vice President-elect, or knowingly and willfully otherwise makes any such threat against the President, President-elect, Vice President or other officer next in the order of succession to the office of President, or Vice President-elect, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

(b) The terms “President-elect” and “Vice President-elect” as used in this section shall mean such persons as are the apparent successful candidates for the offices of President and Vice President, respectively, as ascertained from the results of the general elections held to determine the electors of President and Vice President in accordance with title 3, United States Code, sections 1 and 2. The phrase “other officer next in the order of succession to the office of President” as used in this section shall mean the person next in the order of succession to act as President in accordance with title 3, United States Code, sections 19 and 20.

*I added the underlines to hi-lite the meat of the document.

Now, NOTHING about placing a pistol next to a figurine of the POTUS growing organic hair from its hair is making any kind of threat as detailed above any more than a 21-gun-salute is making a threat against an airline. But...you say...it could be INTERPRETED as a threat. Well did the person placing the pistol in that photo KNOWINGLY or WILLFULLY threaten Obama? I do not think he did, nor would any court in the land. It was a purely political statement.

Here is some further reading:

http://usgovinfo.about.com/library/weekly/aa040398.htm

That's all lovely, but it all means nothing. In this climate we live in, you just don't mix the President and a gun. That's either stupidity, or potential threat. I don't care how you try to justify it. If you think this is such a big joke, lets alert authorities and see if they take it as harmless fun. It would be one thing if it was just the chia by itself, and a few reckless words (ex:ugly, funny, stupid, etc), but placing a gun next to it (and a different one for every pic) is borderline threatning. Like I said, it may not be an outright threat, but I'm sure it would cause a knock on the guy's door, or at least some prying into his "file".

If someone had a picture/figurine of your child and decided to place a gun next to it, and 4 different guns to boot, you'd think it was harmless fun? No need to answer, I already know.

He may not have threatened, but then what is the reasoning behind putting a gun in the picture. There is none. There is no corralation that can be made between a gun and a plant, or a gun and Obama.

That's all lovely, but it all means nothing. In this climate we live in, you just don't mix the President and a gun. That's either stupidity, or potential threat. I don't care how you try to justify it. If you think this is such a big joke, lets alert authorities and see if they take it as harmless fun. It would be one thing if it was just the chia by itself, and a few reckless words (ex:ugly, funny, stupid, etc), but placing a gun next to it (and a different one for every pic) is borderline threatning. Like I said, it may not be an outright threat, but I'm sure it would cause a knock on the guy's door, or at least some prying into his "file".

If someone had a picture/figurine of your child and decided to place a gun next to it, and 4 different guns to boot, you'd think it was harmless fun? No need to answer, I already know.

If my child stood solidly on an anti-gun platform and they (a person I did not know) placed a firearm near his/her likeness which was purchased from a store in a show of disagreement with his/her political stance, I would find it an excercise of the freedom of speech. There is nothing wrong with what the man did. He did not threaten Obama (or the likeness) in any way.

-Thought to ponder-

Just because someone has a "Buck Ofama" bumper-sticker, does that mean they wish to have intercourse with the man (possibly involving a kidnapping, and certainly bodily or emotional harm?). Should the SS investigate owners of these bumper stickers?

What about the "Nobama" bumperstickers, does this mean they wish to erase him from the planet and plan to do so?

I agree with you, making Obama targets, shooting the figurine, etc. all would have been possible to construe as a threat, but placing a firearm in front of it (not pointed at it, I might add), is not a threat.

He may not have threatened, but then what is the reasoning behind putting a gun in the picture. There is none. There is no corralation that can be made between a gun and a plant, or a gun and Obama.

So you are telling me that NOTHING in Obama's political messages lead you to belive that there is a connection, or rather some relavence between the man (Obama), his political stance, and firearm owners/their firearms?

Nothing?

No issue which a firearm owner MIGHT be protesting by including a picture of a pistol next to Obama's likeness?

ETA: You also state that the man did NOT threaten Obama (or the likeness). So what is the point of your original statement?

So you are telling me that NOTHING in Obama's political messages lead you to belive that there is a connection, or rather some relavence between the man (Obama), his political stance, and firearm owners/their firearms?

Nothing?

No issue which a firearm owner MIGHT be protesting by including a picture of a pistol next to Obama's likeness?

ETA: You also state that the man did NOT threaten Obama (or the likeness). So what is the point of your original statement?

So what you don't like his political stance, you, me, or whoever have that right to disagree with it, but we have to accept it for what it is and live by it if he decides to act. But taunting with what they already feel uneasy about is not the way to go. All those stickers and signs don't send any real messages that can be interpreted wrongly. They're really no different than anything that was made against Bush. And if the guy put one of those stickers/signs, instead of a gun, it would have sent a message that he doesn't like his stance, yet in no way could be percieved as intimidating.

Also, stickers/signs aren't likely to get banned. Stickers/signs isn't the reason why he was wearing a bulletproof suit during his inauguration. When's the last time you heard on the news someone was killed by a sticker/sign?

I never said he did NOT threaten the President (you underlined MAY NOT HAVE). I said it could be perceived as a threat, especially considering his political stance on the issue. I'll say it again, the secret service wouldn't look at that as, oh "he's just speaking his mind, on his political stance". Every nut job or not is getting their file pulled when it comes to Obama.

If a ban was to happen it's not gonna be because of stickers/signs. It's gonna be because of people such as the mother at the range in Florida, and the guy who killed his wife's family and burned the house down, just as much as the those who wanna wag the middle finger in the face of the ones who are in power, and that they disagree with so much, that they go overboard with it.

If you were to post a picture of a photo of President Bush, or Wayne LaPierre, or some other less-anti-gun "celebrity" next to a pistol; would that seem like a threat, or an homage?

Perceiving a negtive context about this photo is only due to the represented person's own political views with regards to firearms, and the views of the person looking at the photo. It has nothing to do with what items are in the photo, or how they are laid out.

People can choose not to like the photo, but that doesn't make the photo a criminal offense.

Edited by LeoAtrox