First time out to the Range with my R1 30-06 ???

Bruno

Decided to go to the range today and do some zeroing in. Bore sighted the rifle after mounting Bushnell’s 6500 2.5x16 42 and it was almost dead on.

Started out with some less expensive ammo (Fusion 165 grain) at 25 yards took about 5 shots with adjustments then got five 1 inch grouping did that out to 100 yards with 4 inch groups then I ran out of the Fusion 165 and switch to Winchester 180gr Power Point.

Couldn’t hit the paper so I moved the target back into 25 yards, just in case I couldn’t see the holes and sure enough I missed. Took another couple of shoots and I was about a 24 inches high at 25 yards. Well I re-adjusted the scope till I ran out of Click’s (MOA) and still about 4 inches High still at 25 yards

I rechecked the scope and mounts, taped the scope took 2 more shoots and still high with no room left for adjustments. Also left to right is within 1 inch but just can’t get the shots down.

I not sure what to do now, any Idea’s (i.e. if the barrel gets to hot does it fire high.)

Thanks for any input.

You shouldn't see that much variation in those two loads. Switching from 165's to 180's should still keep you on paper at 100 yards. They should be within inches of each other, not feet apart.

1. Are you using the factory base or another base?

1a. If factory base, did you mount it in the right direction, with the arrow pointing forward?

2. What is the distance between the bottom of the OBJ end of the scope (big end) and the barrel?

3. How much cooling time are you allowing between shots and groups?

4. What make and model rings are you using?

5. Did you torque the base and rings to specs?

6. Did you remove the forearm and barrel assembly between groups?

7. Did you check the forearm nut for proper torque?

8. How experienced are you with rifles?

Tucker301,

Thanks for the fast reply I hope the info paints a nice picture of the situation

1.a Are you using the factory base or another base? Factory

1.b. If factory base, did you mount it in the right direction, with the arrow pointing forward? YES

2. What is the distance between the bottom of the OBJ end of the scope (big end) and the barrel? About 9/16 of an inch (I know that’s a little high but it feels right)

3. How much cooling time are you allowing between shots and groups? About 1 minute for shots and 3-5 for groups of 4 shots

4. What make and model rings are you using? Burris Xtreme Tactical 30mm Medium 1/2

5. Did you torque the base and rings to specs? 20 in/lbs for upper ring and side nut about 80 in/lbs (my torque stops at 70)

6. Did you remove the forearm and barrel assembly between groups? NO

7. Did you check the forearm nut for proper torque? NO but it was tight

8. How experienced are you with rifles? Novice to Intermediate

Also I was shooting at my local range which has a 100 yard indoor range with very study bench and a Caldwell steady rest for sighting. I was also in the seated position (I don’t believe the situation could get much better for sighting in a rifle).

I put a little more thought into it. Could it be with the 180 grain that the sight rest was to hard and pushing the barrel up, along with a hotter then normal barrel?

A rifle barrel that isn't floated will show some movement with heating and cooling, but not enough to move POI more than an inch or so at 100 yards.

Both of those loads should follow nearly identical trajectories out to about 130 yards.

At 25 yards, they'll both shoot high, if zeroed for 100. But they should only be about 1-2 inches high at 25, not 2 feet.

Your scope is mounted a little high, but I don't think it's enough to account for that much variance.

I suggest that you disassemble the rifle and clean it, re-check your mounts, and go back to the range for more testing.

You might also test the tracking on the scope, by doing something called the box test. You can Google that information.

Indoors, with little to no circulation, I'd rest the barrel about 10 minutes between groups, but a minute or so between shots is just right.

If the problem persists, ask for help from an experienced shooter at the range. We love to shoot other people's ;)ammo.

Federal provides free ballistics software. Take a look on their website under Resources.

i had a similar problem the first time i shot my gun a couple weeks ago. I figured it was the ammo, but then had my brother take a couple shots and he shot it fine. It turned out to be the shooter. haha It took me about 40 rounds to get comfortable shooting my rifle...dont let it frustrate you or your will never be able to shoot it well

• 2 weeks later...

Well I cleaned the gun remounted the scope and went to the range. This time it took about 3 shoots before I figured out I was an idiot. I made the stupid mistake of readjusting the scope in the wrong direction. I’m too embarrassed to explain what I was thinking, but after the light bulb came on I was now on target. Shoot off a total of 20 rounds and was very pleased with my last 12 shoots at 100 yards. Can’t wait till I can move out to 200 yards.

Thanks again for the insight.

That's awesome Bruno, hope to see some pictures of you with your R-1 and your trophy soon. Me and a couple buddies head off in a few days on a black bear hunt with our R-1s. Hope we have some luck. Congrats on your new rifle and remember to clean the gas piston after each firing.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...