Need help choosing gun for Trap?

HoratioDUKEz

Hi everyone, I'm on my colleges skeet & trap team, but I mostly shoot trap. The club has a few Remington 1100's which are decent, and a few Semi-Auto Beretta's (not sure what model).

I used both of those for a semester and they were decent, but their kinda old and most club members use their own guns. So I started using my dads Browning Citori over/under 12GA. I liked it, but its about 15 years old and pretty beat up, and I think I liked shooting a semi-auto better...so I plan on buying my own this summer with money I've got saved up.

Now to the point...I like the: Vinci and SuperSport. (The SBE2 also, but not as much)

Also like the Franchi i-12, not as much though.

I think the Remington 105CTi II is pretty cool (I think the downward ejecting would be more convenient/polite for trap shooting)

Also like the Beretta trap Teknys but it might be a little too pricey (trying to keep it under 2K)

Also very interesting in learning about the KRISS MVS, but theres like no info on it...and no release date or pricing, so who knows. If any1 knows about how much that'll cost, or when it might be out that would be cool.

Basically I just want some advice or opinions...whatever's on your mind, I just want to hear from people.

Finally would like some opinions if any1 has shoots a 20 gauge for trap...I might be thinking about that. It's probably a bad idea, but I plan on buying a 12 GA over/under in like 3-4 years and I don't wanna have 2.

whatever...im ranting...if I think of anything else I'll edit this or something.

Edit: Also like the Browning Maxus, i knew i forgot one...its kinda ugly and boring looking, but if it's really good, not sure how much i care.

Edited by HoratioDUKEz

I would go with a beretta 391. The 391 you can get for about a grand. Also for trap a shell catcher would be nice which you can't get for a benelli.(I think) It is gas operated and a bit heavier so recoil will be lighter.

As after as 20 gauge goes. You can break targets at the 20 yard line all day long with a Improved modified choke. Past that you will start to lose your shot pattern.

hmmm, the 391 isn't bad...but I'm not sold on it, and I know I listed plenty of gas guns, but idk if I want a gas gun...maybe....but I feel like the inertia system would just be so much easier to mantain.

I really don't care about recoil. I only shoot once or twice a week, and only like 125-150 shells each time, and I've haven't gotten a bruise or anything from shooting since I was like 12.

I'll definitely take a closer look at the 391...I still have 2 weeks to decide (when school ends) so the more advice the better.

HD,

I've been shooting registered ATA trap for quite a while.

If I may suggest:

First, used trap guns can be a great value. Think used gun to start, rather than a new gun.

Get a true trap gun if you're going to shoot trap. Sure, you can shoot trap with a field gun, but trap guns work best for trap, and are made for the game.

Novaking mentioned a Beretta 391, and that's excellent advice. Absolutely a great gun for trap. If you choose a 391 though, get a 391 TRAP model with a monte carlo stock and a raised rib! Used ones can be had for a reasonable price. Look for an Optima or Urika Trap.

Another good option is a Remington 1100 or 1187. Again, get a trap model with a monte carlo stock and a stepped rib.

You may not care about recoil now, but if you start shooting more, you will. No need to beat yourself up.

Gas semi-auto's are a little higher maintenance than other guns, but its not terrible. I shot a Remington 1100 for my first couple of years shooting trap. A guy named Leo Harrison broke a lot of trap shooting records with an 1100 before he moved on to a break action. Gas guns are great starter guns, and some day you can move on to a break action...or not. A good friend of mine shoots an 1100 and carries a 98% singles average, a 96.4% doubles average, and is a 27 yard handicap shooter.

If you want to go to an O/U, I would strongly recommend a used Browning Citori trap.

All of the ones I listed are great guns, and they're as common as a Ford Taurus. Lots of them around, and every gunsmith knows how to fix them.

I would not recommend an inertial semi-auto for trap. They are made for hunting, for the most part (though some folks use them for sporting clays.) Generally, they're light and whippy, and heavy on recoil.

A heavy gun does two things for you. It smooths your swing, and it eases recoil, simply due to physics.

Trap is a 12 gauge sport. A 20 gauge will certainly break targets, but you will not find 20 gauge "trap guns." Even if you shoot 7/8 ounce loads in a 12 gauge, its better because you tend to get better patterns out of the larger diameter barrel than the smaller barrel.

The number one biggest key is getting a gun that fits YOU and shoots where you are looking. Start with that.

What school do you shoot for? I help coordinate the 2nd largest collegiate shoot in the country, Shootout at the Crossroads in Lenexa, Kansas.

Tim

Hmmm, well I'm a little lost now, I mean the club already has a bunch of 1100's and what I think are 391's....and I don't really like either that much. And I'm currently using my dad's Browning Citori which is alright, but I still feel like there is something better out there for me....maybe not. I guess I should rule out a Benelli then...that's too bad I was leaning in that direction.

Dang...well now I'm completely lost.

I shoot for the University of Illinois...we don't go to many big tournements, but a few guys from the team went down to texas for the big one in San Antonio I think.

any1 have thoughts on the Browning Cynergy classic trap....doubt I could afford it, but it's the most beautiful o/u i've ever seen.

I do shoot skeet about 1/5 of the time too (and at all competitions) so maybe I should factor that in?

Thanks for the advice so far, keep it up.

Edited by HoratioDUKEz

Hmmm, well I'm a little lost now, I mean the club already has a bunch of 1100's and what I think are 391's....and I don't really like either that much. And I'm currently using my dad's Browning Citori which is alright, but I still feel like there is something better out there for me....maybe not. I guess I should rule out a Benelli then...that's too bad I was leaning in that direction.

Dang...well now I'm completely lost.

I shoot for the University of Illinois...we don't go to many big tournements, but a few guys from the team went down to texas for the big one in San Antonio I think.

any1 have thoughts on the Browning Cynergy classic trap....doubt I could afford it, but it's the most beautiful o/u i've ever seen.

I do shoot skeet about 1/5 of the time too (and at all competitions) so maybe I should factor that in?

Thanks for the advice so far, keep it up.

Do you shoot at St. Jose sportmans club on Saturdays? I'm a member there. I'm 15 minutes from the U of I.

No sweat. Nothing magical about 391's and 1100's, they're just a good gun to get started with. If you don't care for them, there are a lot of other options.

And "better" is a relative term. One man's "better" gun is another man's junk. Better, to me, means a gun that fits you, shoots where you want, feels good in your hands, has a nice crisp, light trigger, and doesn't break down. Regardless of brand. There's also "better" in terms of better materials, better craftsmanship, better wood, etc. Is my friend's $8000 Perazzi MX-15 better than my other friend's $800 Remington 1100? They both shoot about 98% average. Tough call...

I'm not saying you can't shoot trap with a Benelli. You certainly can. I just don't think they're made to be a trap gun. There are, in my opinion, guns better suited for trap. To make my point, in all the registered ATA trap shoots I have attended, I have never seen anyone shooting a Benelli. Never. Lots of Berettas, Remingtons, Brownings, Perazzis, Krieghoffs, Winchesters, and a lot of other names you might not be familiar with, but no Benellis.

I shoot a Zoli (I have one for trap, and another one for skeet & sporting clays.)

Absolutely nothing wrong with the Cynergy Trap, but as you said, they're pricey.

Other options:

Browning Citori Trap

Browning XT Trap

Beretta 682 Gold E Trap

Winchester Select Energy Trap (I think they may have changed the name of this gun recently to Model 101 Trap)

SKB 85 TTS

Used Remington 90T (but its a single shot)

Regarding skeet vs trap. You "can" shoot both games with one gun. The trouble is, if you really get into trap, you find, eventually, there are advantages to having the gun set up to shoot high. Trap targets are rising, and going away from you.

Skeet , and sporting clays too, are games where you "generally" want the gun to shoot flat, or just a tiny bit high.

If you don't HAVE TO buy a gun right away, I suggest you try to attend a few local ATA trap shoots, and look at what the competitive trap shooters are using. If you're polite, and ask nicely, and tell them what you're doing, they might let you shoulder their guns or might even let you shoot a round using their gun.

Yeah, our collegiate shoot isn't as big as the ACUI nationals in San Antonio. they get around 300 shooters. We got 136 shooters this year. We shoot 100 trap singles, 100 trap doubles, 100 skeet, and 100 sporting clays over the course of two days at our event. Think about it for next spring. We usually have it the first weekend in March.

Edited by timb99

wow, so many to choose from...definitely a little overwhelming. I'm starting to think that I may not want a specific trap gun, because I'm definitely going to be using whatever I get for a little bit of skeet, sporting clays, and maybe some hunting also.

I mean I'll probably shoot trap 90% of the time with it, but it definitely won't be 100%

Just not sure...I guess I have more time to think about it though.

Someone from our club went down to San Antonio with his SBE2, so now you know 1 person who's done it, lol. He's mostly a skeet shooter though, but he still did all the other events including trap.

Maybe I should just stick with my dads Browning citori...its not the trap version, just the regular one...I do pretty well with it (19-22's) its just old and ugly and beaten up pretty bad, but it shoots fine.

Who knows...i gotta do some thinking...I do like shooting auto's more though... im just digging myself in a hole now... time to stop talking...ill check back in a few hours.

thanks for all the help every1

Ill ask the guys about the shootout at the crossroads and see if we've ever gone. probably not, at least not for a while...we don't compete much....at least not this year

Edited by HoratioDUKEz

Although I shoot Master in High Power and teach Patrol Rifle, I am a complete novice in shooting trap, something I always wanted to do.

I was in the right place at the right time and got a great deal on a Benelli Supersport.

Our local club has an introduction to trap and available lessons, both of which I took. My shotgun was the only Benelli.

The recoil was minimum. I shot 100 rounds with no problem at all. I broke 24/25 on my last run-OK, maybe a bit of beginners luck, but my point is, I don't feel like I'm at a disadvantage with my SS. As I said, I'm just a beginner and don't have near the experience that the other folks here have. As usual, YMMV.

Have fun with your new quest!

Edited by tigerdvr

good info dude...I think ill prob just get what I like...ill be going to a couple gun shops a week from today and and ill just shoulder a bunch till i find a perfect one. I'll let you guys know i guess....if any1 has anything else to say I'll still check back here a couple more times b4

• 4 weeks later...
good info dude...I think ill prob just get what I like...ill be going to a couple gun shops a week from today and and ill just shoulder a bunch till i find a perfect one. I'll let you guys know i guess....if any1 has anything else to say I'll still check back here a couple more times b4
get a vinci its the perfect balance for trap my coaches on the team i shoot in thought it was a trap gun and they shoot perazzis get a black synthetic 28in vinci and get a extended kicks high flyer choke that will ad the ported barrel trap guns need and bring the guns barrel to 29 and 3quarter inch barrel and you can get a stock raising kit at bass pro that you can take of for hunting get a vinci and you can turn it into a trap gun for less than 60 bucks and you can hunt with it its a bad idea to take a trap gun hunting ive seen it and they regret it get a vinci you wont be dissapointed i promise

Getting the Vinci actually makes a lot of sense. Most of the guns mentioned in this thread (391 and 1100) retail for almost the same as a black Vinci and in my opinion, the Vinci surpasses these guns by a wide margin. For approximately $1,300 (Street Price) you get a hands down winner that can not only excel on the trap range, but do a host of other things exceptionally well.

The Vinci recoil reminds me of the 20 gauge I had as a kid but that's where the similarities end. Recoil and subsequent target acquisition is a well mannered and controlled. I’m also a huge fan of the trigger group ergonomics on this shotgun. The trigger pull is uniform, clean and consistent in a manner usually reserved for shotguns reworked at the gunsmith. Bringing this level of sophistication to a 6 pound 12 gauge shotgun is quite an accomplishment. This enables the Vinci to move from the field to the skeet, trap or sporting clay range with a consistent character that will bring a smile to your face. The fit and finish on the gun is superb and it cycles everything I’ve thrown at it without a jam or complaint. Clean-up is a breeze. I can take down this gun in 10 seconds and it is the easiest gun to clean that I have ever owned. Try that with a gas gun.

Beyond all this, you're going to love the Vinci because it’s a joy to shoot. Someone else put it best when they said that the biggest problem they had with the Vinci was keeping it loaded!

The longer I have this gun the bestter I like it – And isn’t that what it’s all about?

Getting the Vinci actually makes a lot of sense. Most of the guns mentioned in this thread (391 and 1100) retail for almost the same as a black Vinci and in my opinion, the Vinci surpasses these guns by a wide margin. For approximately $1,300 (Street Price) you get a hands down winner that can not only excel on the trap range, but do a host of other things exceptionally well.

The Vinci recoil reminds me of the 20 gauge I had as a kid but that's where the similarities end. Recoil and subsequent target acquisition is a well mannered and controlled. I’m also a huge fan of the trigger group ergonomics on this shotgun. The trigger pull is uniform, clean and consistent in a manner usually reserved for shotguns reworked at the gunsmith. Bringing this level of sophistication to a 6 pound 12 gauge shotgun is quite an accomplishment. This enables the Vinci to move from the field to the skeet, trap or sporting clay range with a consistent character that will bring a smile to your face. The fit and finish on the gun is superb and it cycles everything I’ve thrown at it without a jam or complaint. Clean-up is a breeze. I can take down this gun in 10 seconds and it is the easiest gun to clean that I have ever owned. Try that with a gas gun.

Beyond all this, you're going to love the Vinci because it’s a joy to shoot. Someone else put it best when they said that the biggest problem they had with the Vinci was keeping it loaded!

The longer I have this gun the bestter I like it – And isn’t that what it’s all about?

exactly the vinci is defenetly the best feild sporting gun crossover me and clayman both agree on this a gas gun could take an hour to clean this takes 5 minuts tops and much easier to work on than a sissy sporting gun

If you truly want to shoot more than 1 year on a trap team; then I can only say timb99s' advice is 100% right.

Trap guns are high volume shooters. They are not cheap.

There is NO gun that will do everything. That is sales hype, or inexperienced enthusiasm.:rolleyes:

Competition Trap is a game won with constant high scores. If you shoot with other team members depending on you, well you better have the right tool to be consistent. Guys who BS and say they shot high practice scores need to prove it in competition/league throughout their league season. I could tell you of 23-24 practice shooters who couldn't bust 16 in competition. Different pressure.

If you shoot just for fun, well yeah, get any field or cross-over gun you like.

Read timb99's advice again and see IF you can shoot a few rounds with one of the guns he mentioned. Your shooting eye, and your shooting shoulder, and the count of "dead bird" clays will tell ya all you need to know.

I have shot a super sport a few times and it feels really good. The super sport would be my semi auto choice for trap it never jams with the game and fish shells like all other semi autos on my trap team. It also comes with extended chokes and a raised gel comb. If your looking for a beretta get an xtrema2. I dont know much about browning semi autos so I would not go for one of those but if you know someone who has one ask for their advice. For trap though my gun of choice is an over and under since benelli doesnt make those I like the browning citori and cynergy. Beretta also makes some nice over and unders.

a-s-sume makes an a-s-s out of u and me

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...