We Remember

sdkidaho

I agree also. It was a day I will never ever forget.

My son stood on top of the WTC a few years before on a trip with his Boy Scout group to NYC and my my wife returned home from her first commercial plane trip to Houston on 9/10/01 and I give thanks it did not happen then. My sympathy to the families of those that perished.

Sadly, I believe there are some that have forgotten.

Dave

I will always remember how blue, empty, and quiet the skies were that afternoon.

I never dreamt I'd see that again in my lifetime.

I wish I never had.

The attacks of 911 exploited many of the freedoms that define life in a free society.

Sadly, America citizens have lost that buffer we'd previously enjoyed, and the evils of the rest of the world have proven that we are no longer impervious to them.

Since 911, the world has become more hostile and dangerous for all humankind.

We are a gnat's azz from WWIII breaking out, and whether or not we ever bring Osama bin Laden to justice will have very little bearing on how the future plays out.

Over and over, these extremists have proven that they do not play by anyone's rules, so defeating them in a conventional sense is a hopeless endeavor.

Sadly, the only way we will overcome terrorism is to become more terrible than they are.

[ 09-11-2006, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]

Originally posted by tucker301:

I will always remember how blue, empty, and quiet the skies were that afternoon.

I never dreamt I'd see that again in my lifetime.

I wish I never had.

The attacks of 911 exploited many of the freedoms that define life in a free society.

Sadly, America citizens have lost that buffer we'd previously enjoyed, and the evils of the rest of the world have proven that we are no longer impervious to them.

Since 911, the world has become more hostile and dangerous for all humankind.

We are a gnat's azz from WWIII breaking out, and whether or not we ever bring Osama bin Laden to justice will have very little bearing on how the future plays out.

Over and over, these extremists have proven that they do not play by anyone's rules, so defeating them in a conventional sense is a hopeless endeavor.

Sadly, the only way we will overcome terrorism is to become more terrible than they are.

I know this site isn't meant to be real "political", but as a 58 year young shooter from Michigan and a legal CCW holder, all self defense & sport shooters should ask themselves this question: if the pilots in all 4 of those airliners on 9-11 had been armed with (Benelli!) pistols, 2800 plus people would be alive today. Am i oversimplifying this? In the 50's i'm told pilots were often armed and in the late 50's an airline pilot killed a deranged violent attacker. Why did it take such an attack to make strong cockpit doors or allow armed pilots? DJ Dan, Flint MI

I agree with you about arming the pilots, but there are two more simple things that could have been implemented with technology we had way before 9/11. First cockpit doors that can't be broken down by ramming food carts into them. Second what about some kind of alarm button that only the flight crew would know about that would put the plane into auto pilot that could not be over ridden no matter what. The plane would fly itself to the closest airport that it could land at. Think of it like the button banks have behind the counter. If we made it impossible for terrorist to hijack planes into buildings then they probably wouldn't try. Then we could go back to only having to be at the airport an hour before we take off.

[ 09-12-2006, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: BLACK JACK ]

Root Cause.

Make planes hijack proof and they simply start attacking us in other more vulnerabale places.

The only way to deal with a problem in absolute certain terms is to eleminate the source of the problem, at its roots.

You go out in your yard every day, and get stung by a yellow jacket.

What's the most effective long-term solution?

A - Change the way you dress so that you no longer have exposed skin, regardless of the temperature.

B - Stop going in the yard during daylight hours so you won't get stung.

C - Try to identify which yellowjackets are stinging you and pick them out of the crowd.

D - Follow one to nest, wait until they're all asleep, and destroy the source of the problem once and for all.

As I said, as long as them doing what they do is worse than us doing what we do, they will continue.

On the other hand, if we respond, to the fullest extent of our capabilities, to any action or threat of action, then they will soon realize that their efforts agaisnt us only bring more harm to them and to their people.

The countries who host them must fear us more than they do them.

It must become VERY unhealthy to allow terrorists to live and to function from within one's borders.

It must become VERY unhealthy to host their websites and to promote their videos on the airways.

Kill it at its roots and it won't come back.

Unfortunately, innocent lives will be lost.

Unfortunately, this is the kind of war THEY have chosen to wage.