What choke do you guys use in your m4's?

jantonio54

And why is there so much emphasis on super-tight buckshot patterns? If you want a really tight pattern, use a rifle, right?

My M4, which I bought used, came only with a modified choke. I'm thinking about buying a cylinder tube and just wondered what others preferred and why.

And where can you order Benelli standard choke tubes?

Thanks.

And why is there so much emphasis on super-tight buckshot patterns? If you want a really tight pattern, use a rifle, right?

My M4, which I bought used, came only with a modified choke. I'm thinking about buying a cylinder tube and just wondered what others preferred and why.

And where can you order Benelli standard choke tubes?

Thanks.

It's not just tight shot patterns, it's even shot spread within the pattern. Aftermarket chokes claim to be a lot more even.

That being said, most people use a modified choke for the majority of tasks.

Trulock is a very popular choice for aftermarket chokes.

I agree with you, a rifle is obviously better for tight shot patterns at longer ranges, however by making your shot pattern tighter you effectively increase the lethal range of your shotgun in a sense, so it is attractive to some.

That said, match your choke tube to your ammo and desired results, and do your own testing to make sure it works for you.

Thanks for the coherent answer. If you only envision using a shotgun at very short ranges, e.g., in the home or in the yard, is choke constriction even that important? I mean, at very close ranges, they're all going to do the same thing, right? So at intermediate home defense ranges, it would seem to me one would want the widest dispersion possible, to compensate for aiming error brought on by simultaneous crapping of the pants.

Why would you sacrifice a wide pattern by trying to turn a shotgun into something it is not; a long-range weapon? I mean, if you tag a threat with just one .30 ball, instead of missing entirely, you might do better with a follow-up shot, rather than being shot yourself.

And I'm not just arguing to hear myself type. I'm really curious.

Thanks for the coherent answer. If you only envision using a shotgun at very short ranges, e.g., in the home or in the yard, is choke constriction even that important? I mean, at very close ranges, they're all going to do the same thing, right? So at intermediate home defense ranges, it would seem to me one would want the widest dispersion possible, to compensate for aiming error brought on by simultaneous crapping of the pants.

Why would you sacrifice a wide pattern by trying to turn a shotgun into something it is not; a long-range weapon? I mean, if you tag a threat with just one .30 ball, instead of missing entirely, you might do better with a follow-up shot, rather than being shot yourself.

A shotgun must be aimed just like a rifle or pistol. The shot spreads around 1" per meter in a Cylinder choked shotgun. Tighter if you run a tighter choke

At 10 yards thats 10" spread.

AIM AIM AIM! It is a shotgun, not a death-ray.

It depends on the ammo, but with 00 buck it will be the difference between a hand sized pattern and literally hitting an entire door at some distances.

If you just want to blindly spray a blanket wall of lead at an intruder, a cylinder choke is the way to go.

If you actually plan on aiming, as in waiting behind a door with the gun aimed etc, I think it's better to have a somewhat tight constriction.

You will find just as many opinions on this matter as you will people, so it's up to you.

Personally, if I was rushed out of bed I would grab my glock 19 and surefire first as they sit right next to my bed, and then if I somehow needed it the m4 would come out.

A shotgun must be aimed just like a rifle or pistol. The shot spreads around 1" per meter in a Cylinder choked shotgun. Tighter if you run a tighter choke

At 10 yards thats 10" spread.

AIM AIM AIM! It is a shotgun, not a death-ray.

You know, I'm fully aware you have to aim a shotgun, but if you're so positive you're going to hit exactly what you're aiming at, why choose an 8-round shotgun over a 31-round AR-15 or, better yet, a 26-round AR-10? To me the beauty of the shotgun lies in the breadth of pattern. That's why I don't bird hunt with my AR's.

You know, I'm fully aware you have to aim a shotgun, but if you're so positive you're going to hit exactly what you're aiming at, why choose an 8-round shotgun over a 31-round AR-15 or, better yet, a 26-round AR-10? To me the beauty of the shotgun lies in the breadth of pattern. That's why I don't bird hunt with my AR's.

For the same reason people use sub guns ... less likely to over penetrate, and easy to operate and point.

Plus, one tiny hole is not the same as 9 medium holes in a 8 inch pattern.

if you're so positive you're going to hit exactly what you're aiming at, why choose an 8-round shotgun over a 31-round AR-15 or, better yet, a 26-round AR-10?

I don't understand. If you going to hit what your aiming at then why do you need more than 1 round in the first place.

O, your one of thoughs zombe guys.

Nah, I'm a bird hunter who would probably blow his own leg off if there was a zombie in the house.

But I do have three Benellis, if you count a Beretta 1201FP, and was really just curious about what choke others prefer in their defense shotguns. I also don't understand the rationale behind the "tighter is better" theory when it comes to buckshot. Heck, just use a slug.

I don't understand. If you going to hit what your aiming at then why do you need more than 1 round in the first place.

2 is 1, 1 is none.

More is better.

Bigger is better.

You can always not have enough ammo.

You can never have "too much" ammo (unless you are weaksauce and can't carry it all with you).

That is why I own a semi-auto 12ga.

2 is 1, 1 is none.

More is better.

Bigger is better.

You can always not have enough ammo.

You can never have "too much" ammo (unless you are weaksauce and can't carry it all with you).

That is why I own a semi-auto 12ga.

So your the one with all the ammo! :p Hey, leave some for us to buy.

I am unsure if my comment will be helpful, but if I shoot 00 buckshot out past 40 yards with my stock I/C choke, the spread gets pretty damned big. (6-8feet)

That means, in my mind, buckshot is pretty worthless for knockdown at 50 yards.

I would like to have a choke that might increase my range to 50-70 yards. I cannot always swap out shells if my target isn't close enough.

BTW, I aim my benelli like I do my M1A, accurate and center mass.

Just 2cents

My 2 cents:

When it comes to defense, pistols are good for one thing: Fighting your way to a shotgun.

As for chokes: Take a look at your likely range in a defense situation. If you're fighting of home invaders, you're probably not going to be more than 10 yards away; and typically, it'll be even closer. I'd go with cylinder with 00 and/or slug rounds for up-close work. (Personally, I have boxes of slugs.) You can use stock IC choke too. It shouldn't make that much difference up close; you've got to aim center mass either way. The IC could give you an advantage if you're house (or property) is more wide open. My basement is more than 20 yards long. If I was using 00 and expected to be utilizing the full range that the room afforded me, I might want something more restrictive than a cylinder. I'm going to hit the guy either way, the IC just might put more of the shot into the intruder versus into my walls.

Why a shotgun versus a rifle (or pistol) with higher capacity? The answer is simple: Stopping power. A 1oz slug or a cartridge of 00 is going to stop a guy dead in his tracks. Heck, it might take him right out of his tracks (and shoes). A pistol or rifle may punch right through a guy at close range, without causing all that much damage if you fail to hit vital organs. Depending on the caliber and ammunition used, it could take several hits to stop an intruder. For a shotgun, if you put a shot of 00 into a guy's forearm, he's still going down. If you put a slug into his leg, he's going down. If you just wing him, he's going down. Maybe not incapacitated, but definitely on the ground and in pain.

Edited by LeoAtrox

Having been a hunter since being a young kid and shooting alot of trap, I like to think that I hit most of what I shoot at. I didn't say aim because after awhile I think you just develop a "feel" for the weapon of your choice. That being said I like a tight pattern with as even a spread as possible. For me that's the Federal LE12700 00 buckshot with the Trulock choke of choice. For longer distances I seem to be moving away from the slug in favor of the Dixie Slugs Tri-Ball II. It just depends on what and where I'm shooting.