SBEII Trade option. Please help

dangerman

Good Morning Benelli Fans. I have a beautiful M1 Super 90 field that is in wonderful condition and a Ruger SP101 .357 revolver that is like new. My Local Benelli salesman is willing to make me a trade. My two guns plus $350 for a brand new SBEII. I am wanting to shoot 3.5" and I dont really shoot the revolver any. Do you think its a good trade for me? Am I loosing my butt on this deal? Thanks for any wisdom you can share with me.

The Ruger SP101 he can buy new for $376.00 and he is giving me $350 for it or thats how it is on paper.

Edited by dangerman

I wish I woulda kept all of the guns I have traded away....you almost never come out on the good end. I'd either sell both straight out, or even better: save up your money and keep yours and buy the SBE. If you're in a hurry to buy something...get an AR-15 while you still can. Just a thought.

I already have an AR-15. I dont have a need for the revolver, I just thought it would be neat to have one... dont shoot it. I am not in the position to save up and by a SBEII, it would take me forever. I figured that I could get the ultimate shotgun and get rid of a couple that I dont really shoot.

Now is the time to sell the unwanted ones outright either in the news paper, internet, to a friend, local gun club, or where ever it works best for you. At least if you sell them outright you should get a fair price. Like lawndart said, if you trade in you will get screwed......that i guarantee.

Take the cash from your sales and apply toward your new toy and pony up what ever additional cash you need.

Take your time, you have all spring and summer to sell the others before the fall seasons open up.

I wish I woulda kept all of the guns I have traded away....you almost never come out on the good end. I'd either sell both straight out, or even better: save up your money and keep yours and buy the SBE. If you're in a hurry to buy something...get an AR-15 while you still can. Just a thought.

If you can stand a 1-year wait time or wish to pay a $500+ over MSRP premium...get an AR-15

There, fixed it for you.

Good Morning Benelli Fans. I have a beautiful M1 Super 90 field that is in wonderful condition and a Ruger SP101 .357 revolver that is like new. My Local Benelli salesman is willing to make me a trade. My two guns plus $350 for a brand new SBEII. I am wanting to shoot 3.5" and I dont really shoot the revolver any. Do you think its a good trade for me? Am I loosing my butt on this deal? Thanks for any wisdom you can share with me.

The Ruger SP101 he can buy new for $376.00 and he is giving me $350 for it or thats how it is on paper.

According to the BLUE BOOK OF GUN VALUES 29th edition (one year old) the benelli in 100% condition is worth $825.00, in 98% it is worth $700.00. The Ruger in 100% condition, is listed as $460.00, and 98% as $345.00. unless the barrel is rollmarked as "125 grain bullet", then add another $100.00.

The values in this book are based on NATIONWIDE averages of actual market values. So the values will vary depending on certain areas of the U.S. Hope this helps.

GENELEO: THANK you very much. That was exactly the advice I was thinking someone could give me. I dont understand why everyone in the thread is talking about AR-15.. The original post wasnt about AR-15 and I already have one anyways. Thank you very much for your knowledgeable input. Thanks again

The Blue Book means nothing to a dealer on a trade. He'll rape you and then he'll rape the next guy who wants to buy it.

The advantage of trading is that you unload unwanted guns quickly and get what you want.

The disadvantage is that you get raped on the deal..... always.

It also means nothing to a buyer when they can get a better deal on gunbroker.

Thus the reason I suggested that you go to gunbroker and see what similar guns are bringing in today's market.

Revolvers aren't exactly the hot commodity right now. AR's were discussed because gun owners and gun buyers are being completely stupid these days with regard to purchasing weapons that "might" be banned again under the current political climate.

They are being equally mindless in their stockpiling of ammunition.

The Blue Book means nothing to a dealer on a trade. He'll rape you and then he'll rape the next guy who wants to buy it.

The advantage of trading is that you unload unwanted guns quickly and get what you want.

Thus the reason I suggested that you go to gunbroker and see what similar guns are bringing in today's market.

Revolvers aren't exactly the hot commodity right now. AR's were discussed because gun owners and gun buyers are being completely stupid these days with regard to purchasing weapons that "might" be banned again under the current political climate.

If you look in the BLUE BOOK, as a guide to commercial gun traders, it is suggested that the dealer pays from 10 to 50% of the value of a firearm when purchasing a used gun, or taking it in, in trade, so YES, it doe's mean something to a dealer. BUT, you are right also, when you say that a dealer will rape you, but only if you let him. I have a about 60 guns, and they don't eat much, and they will sit a looooonnnng time before I will give one away to a dealer. I know in my mind when I go into a store, or a gun show what I paid for a gun originally, and I will not come out on the losing side. If I work a deal with a dealer, I expect to allow him a little profit, but he won't get rich off of me. A gunsmith friend of mine has a motto he trys to live by in his business, "you can shear a sheep many, many times, but you can only skin it once". Most business now don't realize that, just look at the prices that they want to charge you, and they're guns "don't eat" much either, but if they don't move them out the door, then the dealer "don't eat" either.

Thank you gentlemen. I have bought from this local dealer several times and he is very good to me. He actually opened his book keeping program and showed me what he was getting his guns for and his markup. He takes what it costs and just adds $30 on top. He isnt getting rich off me.. He is just putting something in his pocket for his effort. I understand that if you take your stuff to just ANY gun shop you will probably get bent over, but this dealer is good to me. Thanks for all the input.

I would second the Gunbroker suggestion. I picked up a Millenium Edition Legacy at a great price (NIB) and there was a good selection of all types of guns in that general class to browse.

My suggestion is find a local gunshop that will act as your transfer agent before you start seriously shopping. You will be able to find what you are looking for (or list your guns for sale) and not get hosed in the process.

Hopefully you don't live in CA, as many will not do business with you because of it.

Too bad that Ruger is not a Smith L-comp, or I would be more than happy to take it off your hands:).

Good luck & be a bit patient to find exactly the gun and terms that work best for you.