method to attach flashlight to M4?

skorittnig

Hi all,

Looking for a way to attach a flashlight to an M4- I have a full length magazine tube on its way. I was looking at my gun- looks like there is already a permanent barrel/magazine tube clamp on the gun? I have seen Nordic Comps clamp/rail combo- is anyone using this with the existing clamp on the gun?

How are you guys connecting the flashlight to the gun. I don't have a flashlight yet. Please feel free to accompany your response with pictures.

Thanks all,

skorittnig

So far THE slickest method I have seen was a piece of pic rail JB-welded to the barrel hanger ring closest the reciever and an M600C or equivalent slapped on it.

The easiest method is to go to Optics Planet and buy their mag-tube mount. It is the same $75 mount that Benelli has on their website, but for $50. Have to remove it when you take your weapon down though.

There is no *GOOD* solution as all the forearm rail systems currently marketed strike me as crap.

I am very underwhelmed with the aftermarket offerings.

It's a choice between a barrel/mag tube clamp or rail based system, which has to be removed for cleaning and has no real defense against torquing sideways ...

Or you get the surefire or FAB or Sidearmor rail ... all of which have their own issues.

Ideally, like mentioned above, I want a minimalist flashlight setup that doesnt have to be removed for cleaning.

A few guys have made a cool mod to the factory handguards, where they added a piece of rail and then put a light on the rail ... but I haven't done this yet.

'

ETA - Thread here: http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8955&highlight=m4+light

benellim4forend.jpg

benellim4forendwM3full.jpg

Edited by Duggan

Some more options.........

https://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=27250&title=SHOTGUN%20TRI-RAIL%20ACCESSORY%20MOUNT

My cousin has this on his Benelli M1 and swears by it...

https://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1537&title=TACTICAL%20SHOTGUN%20MOUNT

If there is no link, then copy paste to your browser.

The biggest issue there is when it comes to installed a weapon light on the Benelli M4 is the weight.

Saying that, what light should we mount to minimize the weight penalty? Easy, get a Surefire X300 series weapon light. It weighs approximately 3.5 ounces with batteries.

How we activate it and attach it is another issue. While there are deficiences with the Surefire M80 rail, it offers probably the best platform available for a minimum weight penalty. Furthermore, it offers you the ability to attach the Surefire Picatinny rail mounted remote switch to the address rail.

I recommend mounting the X300 to the right hand side of the rifle at the front of the Surefire M80 rail. Then, route the remote switch around the bottom of the M80 rail and attach the remote switch to the left hand side of the picatinny rail system. Further forward, the better.

This will allow you to activate the weapon light via your support hand thumb.

If you're left handed, reverse the placement. It is important to keep the weapon light on the outside of your body. If you run it on the inside, you'll have trouble carrying it when slung.

To mitigate the weight you've added, I recommend getting a Titanium full length magazine tube.

Now, you could also get a Surefire X400 and have a laser also. But you'll have some parallax on two plains.

I'm waiting the parts for most of this setup now. I've been waiting about a month for the Titanium magazine tube to ship.

Thanks for all of the pictures and replies- it has helped me in forming an educated decision.

I'm likely going to buy a nordic components mag extension support clamp with rail to mount the flashlight upon. Are these as sturdy as they look??? I've owned nordic components products in the past, and would buy again without hesitation.

I've chosen this because

1). I am waiting for a "real" 1913 rail from Kip (like everyone else)-so no shell-holder/rail combo with fake integral 1913 system. I have an eotech that isn't being used for Kip's rail (when it arrives).

2). I don't want a flashlight in my way on the handguard (so B&T or surefire are out)- besides, they are sooo expensive and what would I do with all of that mounting room (practically speaking).

3). As for the shell holder, I have an FN SLP that I use for 3 gun competition- A while back I purchased a "3 gun gear" shell holder that sits on the left side of the receiver (with an adhesive and strong velcro). Never had any problems with this equipment- so I'll probably get that shell holder for my M4.

I figure the likelihood of having to reload (this gun is a home defense only shotgun) is pretty slim- besides, I will be putting an extended mag. tube from Kip on the M4 when it arrives.

Please let me know if you have any constructive input related to this set-up. I realize it may not be as tacticool as some of the guns I see on here- but I'm trying to keep it simple and effective as this gun could save my or my family's lives some day.

Thanks again-

skorittnig

Why do you still use a barrel clamp thing?

Because it's unique looking and I like it. The grip is quite comfortable, right behind the light. The rail covers take away any chance of being gouged.

Keeps hand placement the same.

Hey guys- found a pretty neat Daniel Defense Flashlight holder at Brownells- a bit pricey- but DD's stuff is usually very high quality. Here is the link:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=23975&title=PAK?%20OFFSET%20FLASHLIGHT%20MOUNT

That mount needs a rail to grab.

The m4 has no stock rail, the aftermarket rails are mediocre.

This is the problem.

That mount needs a rail to grab.

The m4 has no stock rail, the aftermarket rails are mediocre.

This is the problem.

I was thinking about putting the Nordic Components mag tube clamp w/rail on the M4- and attaching the Daniel Defense flashlight holder to it.

I was thinking about putting the Nordic Components mag tube clamp w/rail on the M4- and attaching the Daniel Defense flashlight holder to it.

The problem is your solution is awfully inefficient ... the reason you'd want to use a rail based light is that it WOULDN'T be a mag tube clamp (requiring removal for cleaning) ... if you get a mag tube rail clamp, then use a DD rail mount flashlight holder ... it's a redundant system for no real benefit as I see it, as neither of the items is quick release ... IMO you would be better off just getting a simple magtube clamp mount if you're going to go that route.

You see what I mean though? You're using 2 parts to perform a job that is better performed by one part ... a railed tube clamp with a DD rail grabbing flashlight mount is going to be more complex, expensive, heavier and bulkier than a smaller, stronger, more efficient one piece mag tube clamp light mount ...

Edited by Duggan

The problem is your solution is awfully inefficient ... the reason you'd want to use a rail based light is that it WOULDN'T be a mag tube clamp (requiring removal for cleaning) ... if you get a mag tube rail clamp, then use a DD rail mount flashlight holder ... it's a redundant system for no real benefit as I see it, as neither of the items is quick release ... IMO you would be better off just getting a simple magtube clamp mount if you're going to go that route.

You see what I mean though? You're using 2 parts to perform a job that is better performed by one part ... a railed tube clamp with a DD rail grabbing flashlight mount is going to be more complex, expensive, heavier and bulkier than a smaller, stronger, more efficient one piece mag tube clamp light mount ...

Very good point sir!

• 1 month later...

I've typed this message 4 times already. The forum won't post a picture or a link, because I need to post 5 times or something, but I'll try this.

I saw it on TheHighRoad forum. The posters name is candewman and it's his website. How about that? They have pictures there.

I've typed this message 4 times already. The forum won't post a picture or a link, because I need to post 5 times or something, but I'll try this.

I saw it on TheHighRoad forum. The posters name is candewman and it's his website. How about that? They have pictures there.

If you have typed this message 4 times already shouldn't this be the fifth post? Just keep posting random stuff on this thread tell you get five.