Steel OO Buck through Modified - GTG?

MikeyZ

All,

Situation: M4 11707 with factory modified choke. Steel OO Buckshot (that Winchester MG stuff).

Is there any risk of damage if this stuff is fired through the M4 with the above configuration? I can't see why, but I only have experience with steel bird shot, so I want to make sure pushing those big OO buck babies through won't cause any harm.

Not worried about patterning in this question. Just potential for damage.

Thanks!

All,

Situation: M4 11707 with factory modified choke. Steel OO Buckshot (that Winchester MG stuff).

Is there any risk of damage if this stuff is fired through the M4 with the above configuration? I can't see why, but I only have experience with steel bird shot, so I want to make sure pushing those big OO buck babies through won't cause any harm.

Thanks!

Link to info on ammo? I have no experience there and don't wish to advise wrong.

All,

Thanks!

Why steel? Just curious.

Here's the link the ammo:

http://www.midwayusa.com/Eproductpage.Exe/showproduct?saleitemid=857119

The description does not say steel, but word around the campfire is that it is, indeed, steel. Therefore, I am operating under that assumption to be safe.

Thanks for your interest in this. ;)

It is not steel as far as I know. VERY poor patterns from this load as well. Good for nothing but looking at imho. Open up a shell and confirm for us, but I bet you find: just a cardboard disk, no buffer, and some soft lead OO pellets.

It is not steel as far as I know. VERY poor patterns from this load as well. Good for nothing but looking at imho. Open up a shell and confirm for us, but I bet you find: just a cardboard disk, no buffer, and some soft lead OO pellets.

In the description, it did say Grex buffering.

I like the Federal LE132 and LE127 loads with the flight control wad. 9" patterns at 25 yards W/ I.C.

Yep. As soon as I receive the stuff the first thing I'll do is break one open. I'll also try to report back on patterning. I have zero experience with this stuff, and can't find a report anywhere on the web.

+1

It's very poor ammo pattern wise.

+3 on the bad patterning, but I have shot many rounds out of my original M4 choke, and nothing ever happened.

I have the 11017 with the choke that came with it 2 years ago. (Mod i think)

I mean, if something bad was going to happen, it would of. BTW, I broke one open, it has the buffering, but I am damn sure the shot was lead.

I bought some becuase I had heard it was a little more water resistant that typical ammo. (The top of the round is heat sealed plastic.)

Besides being a little more water proof, this ammo is par for buckshot.

+3 on the bad patterning, but I have shot many rounds out of my original M4 choke, and nothing ever happened.

I have the 11017 with the choke that came with it 2 years ago. (Mod i think)

I mean, if something bad was going to happen, it would of. BTW, I broke one open, it has the buffering, but I am damn sure the shot was lead.

I bought some becuase I had heard it was a little more water resistant that typical ammo. (The top of the round is heat sealed plastic.)

Besides being a little more water proof, this ammo is par for buckshot.

This ammo is SUB par. Remington seals the head of their buckshot with what appears to be equivalent to nail-polish or something if you want something a little more water resistant.

Not sure if this would apply to the 11707 but others should know if their is a difference in the 2 barrels!

http://www.militec.com/firearms/manual62.html

Read owners manual on pg 48 it explains the use of steel thru the M4, not sure if ya need a special choke tube for steel but you are not supposed to shoot it outta the Full or IM tubes! These are the tubes with the single and double nothches on the top portion of the tube!

Edited by HOGWILD

All,

I got the stuff last night and broke one open. Just a typical cardboard buffer and the shot is LEAD. I was able to cut one in half with my pliers.

So, the lesson to me is, believe half of what you see and none of what you hear (on the internet). Steel shot my a**.

Thanks guys. ;)

Unobtanium,

The shells have white fred buffering and a cardboard disk, what ammo did you have tomake this comment.?

Did you ever actually see this ammo?

Unobtanium,

As far as being waterproof, the ammo has a sealed top, the remi ammo has some smudged sealer that is worthless as far as waterproofing. This ammo is the only ammo I have seen that is sealed at the head. Good for ammo to keep for home defense.

As far as buckshot patterning, not the best, but it IS par for HD buckshot. I have shot about 75 rounds and my buddy has shot the same, while not the best patterning buckshot, it performs as well as any other buckshot under 15 yards. Again, great for HD.

Have you ever even shot this ammo? Or even seen it in person?

Your comments are amatuer at best.

Subpar, you have to shoot it to judge it my little Internet warrior.

Have you ever fired a shot in anger? Have you ever used a shotgun as a combat tool?

I have, so your Internet civi warrior rants are just that:)

Sorry, did not want to do it to you in public, but you have been acting up, so you needed a spankin.

Unobtanium,

As far as being waterproof, the ammo has a sealed top, the remi ammo has some smudged sealer that is worthless as far as waterproofing. This ammo is the only ammo I have seen that is sealed at the head. Good for ammo to keep for home defense.

As far as buckshot patterning, not the best, but it IS par for HD buckshot. I have shot about 75 rounds and my buddy has shot the same, while not the best patterning buckshot, it performs as well as any other buckshot under 15 yards. Again, great for HD.

Have you ever even shot this ammo? Or even seen it in person?

Your comments are amatuer at best.

Subpar, you have to shoot it to judge it my little Internet warrior.

Have you ever fired a shot in anger? Have you ever used a shotgun as a combat tool?

I have, so your Internet civi warrior rants are just that:)

Sorry, did not want to do it to you in public, but you have been acting up, so you needed a spankin.

All,

This is a public apology to unobtanium for the comments I just posted. I thought he was messin with me, so I let loose with both barrels, so to speak.

I guess that is what you wind up acting like after making a living out of being violent. I am still unsure about unob, but I jumped the gun.

Duggan, feel free to post derogatory photos:)

In my collection, I have a very small amount 12 guage military 00 Buck Shot still in the card board boxes (5 per box). The shells are manufactured by Winchester and the crimps are melted in the center. The primer is liberally coated with a purple solution for waterproofing.

Recently purchased a large box each of LE127 RS, Rifled Slugs (10 boxes of 5 each) and a large box LE133 00, Buckshot. All these are Fereral Ammunition. These are also for my collection but nice to have around just in case.

Unobtanium,

The shells have white fred buffering and a cardboard disk, what ammo did you have tomake this comment.?

Did you ever actually see this ammo?

This was based off of statements of another person who purchased the ammunition and posted a review about it. When it first hit the market at $1/round, it created a bit of a stir, and people wanted to know. Some enterprising soul went and bought a box (not me) and patterned it. Several people corraborated their test. I did not see fit to spend my money testing it.

Edited by Unobtanium

In my collection, I have a very small amount 12 guage military 00 Buck Shot still in the card board boxes (5 per box). The shells are manufactured by Winchester and the crimps are melted in the center. The primer is liberally coated with a purple solution for waterproofing.

Recently purchased a large box each of LE127 RS, Rifled Slugs (10 boxes of 5 each) and a large box LE133 00, Buckshot. All these are Fereral Ammunition. These are also for my collection but nice to have around just in case.

Good stuff! Might serve an application for very close (smaller homes/appartment like mine) when YOU NEED a bang every time, but I am still not a fan of the stuff based on what every test about it has shown.

All,

This is a public apology to unobtanium for the comments I just posted. I thought he was messin with me, so I let loose with both barrels, so to speak.

I guess that is what you wind up acting like after making a living out of being violent. I am still unsure about unob, but I jumped the gun.

Alisske,

Luckily I have NOT had to fire a shot in anger and hope I NEVER fire a shot in anger, no matter the situation.

As I stated, many people have tested this ammo out to 25 yards and the patterning was horrid. At 25 yards I usually get a 18" pattern AT WORST from almost any OO I have shot. (With this stuff they were talking a lot worse than that).

I find this to be "sub par". What you are saying is akin to saying that a LS6 powered Z06 'vette is "on par" with an Evo8 because they both went 0-60 in about the same amount of time. Nevermind that by the 1/4 mile they are about a second apart. See what I am saying? You didn't qualify the statement as in "for up close they work fine".

As far as me "being out to get you" errr...no. Not out to get anyone. I accept your public apology, and apologize myself for the misunderstanding that has ensued.

PS. I read this in the morning before ANYTHING ELSE had a chance to piss me off :)

Ergo, your choice to leave the comments up that you posted so that I would indeed still read it, (instead of running a quick edit), while noted, was overlooked.

All,

sheepish.gif