Paitently Waiting

mitch98

Hey,

I just wanted to thank you guy's for the help with my scope ring issue. On Monday May 4th, I drove 80 miles to Lena, WI. and ordered and R-1 in .300 Win Mag . I'm having a Leupold 3.5-10 X 50mm put on it, with a Harris Bi-pod.

I suffered a stroke about 8 yrs ago and am now forced to basically do things one handed, I used to use a bolt action but due to my physical limitations, feel the need to switch to a semi-auto.

I need some more advice, do you guy's think this is a good set up for Whitetail deer? I appreciate any comments you guy's have on this issue.

Thanks,

Mike

Edited by mitch98

Tucker,

I've been shooting a .300 Mag bolt action for about 10 years, and since my stroke have shot 7 bucks, one handed without much difficulty,which is why I chose the R-1 whith it's reduced recoil for a quick secon shot if needed. Thanks for your input.

Thanks,

Mike

I wouldn't attempt to shoot a .300 WM with one arm, but other than that, the setup sounds fine.

.243 or .308 will kill every whitetail deer in North America with a well-placed shot.

Edited by mitch98

Nice gun and good choice on the scope.

The caliber would be more than I would want for whitetail, but you will certainly never be under gunned in North America should you decide to hunt other species.

The Harris bi pods are very good also & should be a significant help (I use one for a .17HMR).

Any idea what the total weight will be?

What reticle did you get on the scope?

And the waiting stinks. I still have a few more days to go before I can pick up a new toy too.

Hey,

Just wanted to add that I had my stroke a age 37 while working at a grey iron foundry and was in verry good shape (physically), and am now only 43 yrs old and can't wait to get my hands on this rifle.

Edited by mitch98

Hey,

Just wanted to add that I had my stroke a age 37 while working at a grey iron foundry and was in verry good shape (physically), and am now only 43 yrs old and can't wait to get my hands on this rifle.

Mitch,

I don't know what you went through, but I had my first back surgery at 23. While still rehabing I was in a car accident & blew out the repaired discs & broke 3 vertabrae. Up to that point I had been a competitive athlete all my life.

Losing a lifestyle is about as tough as anything I ever had to deal with in my life.

I am 42 now.

Good to see you out doing what you are & glad you posted.

They have big deer up there in Northern Wi, so that 300 might not be so bad running lighter grain bullets through it. I have spent a lot of time in that part of the world, so I can understand his choice of caliber.

Never can have too much gun......

TMAC,

Where have you hunted in Northern WI? I live in Aurora WI. which is in rural Florence Co. My wife & I bought a small 22 acre piece of land near Tipler WI. & have built a small cabin/deer blind for me to hunt from. You are correct about the deer size up here, but chose the .300 caliber because I'm disabled and need someshing that will anchor them quickly & cleanly. The R-1, being a Semi-Auto seems perfect for me because of it's reduced recoil & the ability to get off a quick second shot if needed. Thanks for the input.

Mike

They have big deer up there in Northern Wi, so that 300 might not be so bad running lighter grain bullets through it. I have spent a lot of time in that part of the world, so I can understand his choice of caliber.

Never can have too much gun......

I started out hunting the Black River Falls area for the first 5 years, but for the last 20+ years I have been in a camp near Rhinelander. If you know where Pelican lake is then you will be in the vicinity.

I friend hunts in Florence, so have been there a few times over the years myself. We float the Pine River at least once or twice a summer on a canoe. Great trip.

Deer have been scarce lately, so good luck this fall.