Benelli M4 collapsible stock opinions

Unobtanium

Fairly rock solid. Cheek weld is as good as the fixed PG stock, to me. I notice no difference in recoil.It "feels" pretty terrific.

The intermediate position is of some value. I'm 6'3" and it is not uncomfortable at all in that position, so I would think shorter shooters might really like that option. The gun feels very maneuverable and fast-pointing in that position.

I paid the current exorbitant price for one and don't regret it at all. My guess is they become harder to find as the new-old stock dries up (by stock, I mean the supply, NOS). You'll always have a few sellers who need a new transmission in the F-150, but I haven't heard of anyone selling one because they didn't like it. So as supply decreases, demand increases due to thousands of new owners, some percentage of which want the collapsible stock. You know the end of that equation.

I ordered a 35" Galati XT shotgun case and the M4 with collapsed stock fits in there like it was made for it. It makes a very neat, very compact package.

My advice is try to find one for 800 and bite the bullet.

Edited by jantonio54

Fairly rock solid. Cheek weld is as good as the fixed PG stock, to me. I notice no difference in recoil.It "feels" pretty terrific.

The intermediate position is of some value. I'm 6'3" and it is not uncomfortable at all in that position, so I would think shorter shooters might really like that option. The gun feels very maneuverable and fast-pointing in that position.

I paid the current exorbitant price for one and don't regret it at all. My guess is they become harder to find as the new-old stock dries up (by stock, I mean the supply, NOS). You'll always have a few sellers who need a new transmission in the F-150, but I haven't heard of anyone selling one because they didn't like it. So as supply decreases, demand increases due to thousands of new owners, some percentage of which want the collapsible stock. You know the end of that equation.

I ordered a 35" Galati XT shotgun case and the M4 with collapsed stock fits in there like it was made for it. It makes a very neat, very compact package.

My advice is try to find one for 800 and bite the bullet.

I found one for a bit less and already did. Just want my decision MMQB'ed I guess. Have you ever handled an LMT SOPMOD? Does this stock lock up that wiggle-free? Will it wiggle in time, or was it built to LAST?

I found one for a bit less and already did. Just want my decision MMQB'ed I guess. Have you ever handled an LMT SOPMOD? Does this stock lock up that wiggle-free? Will it wiggle in time, or was it built to LAST?

Yes, I had a SOPMOD on an AR, which I sold. I now own a Magpul UBR, an EMOD, and have a Magpul ACS on order, if they ever hit the market. All these stocks actually clamp on the receiver tube, and thereby provide a wiggle-free feel to them. The SOPMOD is an incredible, but overpriced, stock.

The M4 stock must operate by means of a sliding bar of some sort which engages the slots in the receiver tube. As such, mine is not 100% wiggle-free, but is very close to it. My guess is that over time, any wiggle could become more pronounced due to the design and the force of the recoil.

That said, the wiggle in mine is really, really minute, insignificant to me. The other benefits of the stock FAR overcome the tiny bit of wiggle. I think you will be very happy with it. It is slick. And take a look at the Galati XT 35" case. Perfect fit.

Edited by jantonio54

I too am looking forward to the feel of the M4 stock and its positions, I wouldnt think the stock would make any difference as the recoil is controlled through the gun, I havent seen Tactical with the comfortech style solid stock.

The LMT SOPMOD is the single best stock for CQB and multi position AR platforms available IMO! The ergonomics, cheekweld, uses, and recoil reduction paired with a H2 buffer are phenominal. I would look for the 2nd gen if your buying new with the sling attachment, if your paying asking $$$, might as well get the updated version and extra goodies.

Paired right up there with the SOPMOD is the HK E1, its just about the same thing except entry to the battery tubes is through the rear pad, a nice upgrade if you ask me.

There are other choices, and I have tried all the platforms, but hands down, the LMT is my personal favorite, Ill be getting a new one in Tan for the next build I am currently in the middle of.

"I wouldnt think the stock would make any difference as the recoil is controlled through the gun"

If you mean that the M4 internalizes the recoil, I respectfully disagree. My M4, shooting full-power loads, recoils as much at the shoulder as the inertia-driven guns I own (or at least very close to it). This means that the joints in the collapsible stock are taking at least somewhat of a beating.

Whether or not that eventually manifests itself in the joints' loosening up, I don't know.

I really know very little about the ARGO system, but it looks to me as if the two pistons whack the carrier with enough force to unlock the bolt, and from that point rearward, it's just another inertia-driven gun.

Woot, took the stock off and looked at my tube. As Duggan says, I bet the middle point is gonna be PERFECT!

I lustfully await my stock and the money a few people owe me which will allow me to pay for it in full.

Duggan, you ran one of these a while back. Did it ever loosen-up or change feel? Or did Benelli make this aspect like a brick shithouse too? How many rounds did you put through it? I know you beat the snot out of stuff, not abuse, just use it to the max. Good person to field this question to.

"I wouldnt think the stock would make any difference as the recoil is controlled through the gun"

If you mean that the M4 internalizes the recoil, I respectfully disagree. My M4, shooting full-power loads, recoils as much at the shoulder as the inertia-driven guns I own (or at least very close to it). This means that the joints in the collapsible stock are taking at least somewhat of a beating.

Whether or not that eventually manifests itself in the joints' loosening up, I don't know.

I really know very little about the ARGO system, but it looks to me as if the two pistons whack the carrier with enough force to unlock the bolt, and from that point rearward, it's just another inertia-driven gun.

It doesn't loosen up, at least in my experience.

And you are correct in your understanding of the ARGO system, it is essentially an inertia gun with 2 gas pistons operating in tandem as "backup" means of propulsion. :)

Woot, took the stock off and looked at my tube. As Duggan says, I bet the middle point is gonna be PERFECT!

I lustfully await my stock and the money a few people owe me which will allow me to pay for it in full.

Duggan, you ran one of these a while back. Did it ever loosen-up or change feel? Or did Benelli make this aspect like a brick shithouse too? How many rounds did you put through it? I know you beat the snot out of stuff, not abuse, just use it to the max. Good person to field this question to.

The middle point IS perfect.

It doesn't loosen up. It has slight, slight play the entire time if you forced it from side to side, but that play was not noticeable during normal handling or shooting, just when trying to make it wobble.

I put probably 5000 rounds through my m4 with the collapsible stock on it ... never an issue.

I would just suggest lubing the ever loving crap out of your recoil tube with some penetrating oil, it will make it much easier to collapse the stock ... it's quite tight and hard to move when you first put it on.

Edited by Duggan

Duggan, what's your guess on the market for collapsibles in the future?

Not Duggan, but...I watched their price go from 5-700 a year and a half ago, to 7-900 currently. Benelli has clamped down on them, and noone makes an aftermarket. They will slowly, steadily climb in price and dry up availability wise as people who want them will buy them and hang onto them. Soon all the "I have new, old stock" people will be out of them, and the only people who have them will be people who bought just one, for themselves, to keep.

Prices will continue to climb.

Not Duggan, but...I watched their price go from 5-700 a year and a half ago, to 7-900 currently. Benelli has clamped down on them, and noone makes an aftermarket. They will slowly, steadily climb in price and dry up availability wise as people who want them will buy them and hang onto them. Soon all the "I have new, old stock" people will be out of them, and the only people who have them will be people who bought just one, for themselves, to keep.

That's the way I see it, too. Have to wonder if at some point, some enterprising soul attempts to smuggle a container of them in. At a thousand a pop, it has to be tempting.

That's the way I see it, too. Have to wonder if at some point, some enterprising soul attempts to smuggle a container of them in. At a thousand a pop, it has to be tempting.

Drugs are easier, have a much higher profit margin, have a MUCH LARGER customer base, and carry a much smaller wrist slap if you get busted.

Smuggling Benelli Collapsible M4 stocks would be stupid when you can deal so much easier.

Yep.

The price level will rise until the potential for profits attracts new entrants to the market.

Simple economics.

Yep.

The price level will rise until the potential for profits attracts new entrants to the market.

Simple economics.

However, those entrants to the markets must go up against Benelli's patents, as well as find a way to be of equal quality. I think even Kip shelved his project for a while due to the trouble of making it work for cheaper. I would like to hear from Kip on that though before I go making suppositions.