nova, supernova, or 870?

VINCIshooter

i have a 40 year old 870 that works like a charm and i was wondering is there a noticable differance in performance to the nova and super nova

Most likely nothing. That 40 year old 870 is slicker than any nova out there. I would watch the high pressure loads in the 870 though. Nova's you don't have to worry as much.

Agreed. From a performance/reliability standpoint nothing....However that older 870 might only take 2 3/4" shells, but if its a heavy duck model then it will take 3" shells. The Nova will handle up to 3 1/2" shells.

If you have the gun or have a screeming deal on the 870 then go for it. You will find it far easier to get parts, service, and any little do dad you want to hange on it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I love my 870 that I mounted a red dot sight on but I needed to get an all weather gun. I got the SuperNova and I'm loving it. The 870 rusts so easily and I need a gun that I can drag through the woods or sit/shoot in the rain and snow. Both guns work great/kill great but If I were you I would check out both the Nova and the SuperNova at the your local gunshop and see what feels good to you (weight/balance/comfort/price).

You might get rust on your 870 if you dont clean it enough, but the 870 will go bang 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999 percent of the time with an unfired shell in the chamber. I have only heard of 1 870 miss firing 1 time and there are alot of 870s around here. I have a camo 870 super mag and it doesn't get rust ever. The super nova will go bang more like 99.999999 percent of the time. I like the super nova more, but the 870 has very few features but they never fail.

I don't like the 870 because it doesn't fit me well. I don't like the top safety and a don't like how the rib connects to my eye. But i've heard nothing bad about how it cycles. Parts are a big plus but I don't thing my Nova's are going to break any time soon.

Most new Benellis have a higher rib which is better. Thats funny novaking, my super nova didn't fit me right at first, but it feels perfect now. My 870 used to feel perfect but it feels wierd now. I guess I just get used to the gun I shoot the most. The novas are very solid (except for the forearm witch is wiggly) and will put up to almost any non-purposeful abuse but I think an 870 will outlast a nova. Im sure my super nova will outlast me but the 870 has such a good rep for durability around where I live and here:http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/guns/shotguns/2007/08/it-always-goes-bang

Most new Benellis have a higher rib which is better. Thats funny novaking, my super nova didn't fit me right at first, but it feels perfect now. My 870 used to feel perfect but it feels wierd now. I guess I just get used to the gun I shoot the most. The novas are very solid (except for the forearm witch is wiggly) and will put up to almost any non-purposeful abuse but I think an 870 will outlast a nova. Im sure my super nova will outlast me but the 870 has such a good rep for durability around where I live and here:http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/guns/shotguns/2007/08/it-always-goes-bang

I just don't know about the "newer" 870's. They feel like toys compared to Novas and the ''older'' 870's. I know lots of people have them and they don't have any internal trouble. But when I bought my first nova, I looked at the super mag. Just didn't feel right to me. It was the same price at the nova and mine came with 3 chokes instead of 1. I don't know, its all what you like.

i have a 40 year old 870 that works like a charm and i was wondering is there a noticable differance in performance to the nova and super nova

While not necessarily a performance issues I bought a new 870 not too long ago and there are 3 things that I don't like:

1. center of balance is a little too far forward for me, its like most of the weight is in the forehand and I would prefer it more middle action.

2. Bolt release is uncomfortable, its just this little tab essentially rather than a button, so it would really beat up my hands if I had to use it too much.

3. overall finish, the parts of the gun just felt cheap this time around, no rounded corners, I actually scratched myself good on the edge of the rib. with a benelli everything is rounded off and it just looks better.

Again these are just annoyances I had with the 870, but something to consider if you are really picky.

While not necessarily a performance issues I bought a new 870 not too long ago and there are 3 things that I don't like:

1. center of balance is a little too far forward for me, its like most of the weight is in the forehand and I would prefer it more middle action.

2. Bolt release is uncomfortable, its just this little tab essentially rather than a button, so it would really beat up my hands if I had to use it too much.

3. overall finish, the parts of the gun just felt cheap this time around, no rounded corners, I actually scratched myself good on the edge of the rib. with a benelli everything is rounded off and it just looks better.

Again these are just annoyances I had with the 870, but something to consider if you are really picky.

Just about all pumps use a tab including Benellis they arent semi autos that use a round button. The center of balance being forward is a good thing because it swings better. The newer 870s aren't as good anymore for some reason. The new 870 wingmasters are still well built.

Good point trapshooter. If we are talking about a basic 870 express or a wingmaster, there are certainly different levels of finish between the two with the wingmasters obviously being of far better quality and construction.

No much to compare between a Nova and a 870 wingmaster regardless of its age.

i have a supernova and have had it for about 3 or 4 years now. i used to have a mossburg 500 and have shot many 870. they seem to shot goog but my supernova will out shot and out last one any day and is easyer to break down and clean. i would choose a supernova over any other pump shot gun any day

If I had to pick one gun to last forever (and it couldn't be repaired) I would pick an 870. I own an 870 and a Super Nova and I would pick the SN over the 870, but not because of durability, because of the soft recoil pad, comfortech stock, shim kit, rotary bolt head, smoothness, shell stop, high rib, easy to clean threads, and over all better looks. The SN is very very durable but the 870 is very very very very very very very durable.