M4 O rings on the gas piston: rubber or silicone?

ERdept

Silicone(?), rubber won't hold up to the heat from the gas, or the gun oils and lube.

I had a Remy 1187 and i think it had rubber ones, but Brownells sold a silicone replacement.

When you think about it, a car has a lot of rubber in the engine keeping heated parts working together.

I had a Remy 1187 and i think it had rubber ones, but Brownells sold a silicone replacement.

When you think about it, a car has a lot of rubber in the engine keeping heated parts working together.

I just bought a repair kit for an 11-87 just a couple days ago, Remington calls the material "Viton", what ever that means.

All the "older" cars used rubber components, but most modern "rubber" components are either silicone or a high silicone content mix, as real, or natural rubber detereorates rapidly. Look at natural latex gloves. The ones we carry on our gunbelts have to be replaced every few months, but the nitrile gloves hold up for a long time.

Uhhhhh, I think I stated why I was asking.

then I guess that makes our reasons identical for asking a question. As I said, I'm "curious" why you'd be curious.

I don't mean to be a jerk, or argumentative. I just wondered why it would make any difference.

Edited by jantonio54

That is like asking "Is that paint on your car enamel, or clear-coat?"

Either answer you get won't tell you jack. There are so many ways to formulate paint--just as there are synthetic components like rubber or silicone. Look at tires. My tires, you can floor my Trans Am in the rain and they dead-hook. Cheaper tires, they look and feel the same, but spin all over the place. So much formulation goes into this kind of stuff.

All that being said, Viton O-rings *SHOULD* be an acceptable replacement, but a $4.50 part for a $1600 shotgun is nothing. Yes its stupid that it costs that, but really, how many do you expect to have to buy? Duggan has been through 12,000 rounds and only messed up one O-ring due to his heavy-handed cleaning methods.

That is like asking "Is that paint on your car enamel, or clear-coat?"

Either answer you get won't tell you jack. There are so many ways to formulate paint--just as there are synthetic components like rubber or silicone. Look at tires. My tires, you can floor my Trans Am in the rain and they dead-hook. Cheaper tires, they look and feel the same, but spin all over the place. So much formulation goes into this kind of stuff.

All that being said, Viton O-rings *SHOULD* be an acceptable replacement, but a $4.50 part for a $1600 shotgun is nothing. Yes its stupid that it costs that, but really, how many do you expect to have to buy? Duggan has been through 12,000 rounds and only messed up one O-ring due to his heavy-handed cleaning methods.

Amen to the "heavy handed cleaning". In the past month, I have replaced the barrel seal on three different Remington 1100's, and none of them were "worn out" all were either nicked, or torn when the owner carelessly cleaned the gun. On the oldest 1100, the piston and piston seal were actually eroded, and the barrel seal would have been useable, if the owner had been more careful in dissassembling the shotgun.

I just bought a repair kit for an 11-87 just a couple days ago, Remington calls the material "Viton", what ever that means.

Viton is commonly used for valve stem seals inside of automotive internal combustion engines. It's typically pretty durable stuff in the right application.

• 6 months later...
Sorry to be digging this thread out of its grave, but I would really love to know which size viton o-ring is.. I happen to accidently rip the thing while I was cleaning and will be in need of a replacement. Brownells is sold out and doesn't offer information on what size this is.

Take the corpse to the store and compare.