Cutting A Barrel??

DevildogBenelli

Hey i have 12g Nova pump with the 24" barrel and i've heard its almost impossible to get a 18.5 tactical barrel so i thought maybe id bring it to a gunsmith and have him cut it to 18.5 and when i called he said it was really simple and i could do it at home just as easy with a chop saw or something. any ideas or hopefully someone has either done that or attempted it ha. anything would help, thanks

Hey i have 12g Nova pump with the 24" barrel and i've heard its almost impossible to get a 18.5 tactical barrel so i thought maybe id bring it to a gunsmith and have him cut it to 18.5 and when i called he said it was really simple and i could do it at home just as easy with a chop saw or something. any ideas or hopefully someone has either done that or attempted it ha. anything would help, thanks

Don't speak with that smith again. That is a good starting point. Find one who will cut it/thread it correctly, etc. for you.

im pretty darn sure its illeagle to have your barrel under 20 or 22in in but i could be rong

this may be a dumb, "asked too much" question but does anyone know where to find a barrel of the tactical Nova? or if anyone has changed there mind on the shorter barrel and wants a long one and wants to trade it ha. just thought i'd throw it out there.. thanks

Extra barrels are extremely hard to find right now.

Your best bet is gunbroker probably, but it won't be cheap.

Quit wasting you time / money looking for a barrel....to expensive anyway.

You can pretty much buy A complete gun, for the price of the barrel...!

Just have one of your FFL buddies order you the Remington Home defense model 870.

Beats the heck out of paying all that money, just for the barrel.....and....you have another shotgun .....isn't that wonderful ?!? :D

Only here to help......

Besides ....you really CAN'T have to many shotguns

Paul

Quit wasting you time / money looking for a barrel....to expensive anyway.

You can pretty much buy A complete gun, for the price of the barrel...!

Just have one of your FFL buddies order you the Remington Home defense model 870.

Beats the heck out of paying all that money, just for the barrel.....and....you have another shotgun .....isn't that wonderful ?!? :D

Only here to help......

Besides ....you really CAN'T have to many shotguns

Paul

actually sounds pretty good. ill look in to that...thanks

and yeah you really cant have too many guns period ha

I agree with just opting for another Benelli (it seems the SuperNova Tactical would fit your needs) vs. modifying the one you have or buying another barrel.

Even if you can find a "tactical" barrel, you will pay a premium price (easily $400 and probably more). Best off just to buy the SNT and have one shotgun for HD and one for hunting.

Plus, I personally wouldnt feel comfortable having an expensive, chrome lined barrel cut and modified.

Just my .02

I agree with just opting for another Benelli (it seems the SuperNova Tactical would fit your needs) vs. modifying the one you have or buying another barrel.

Even if you can find a "tactical" barrel, you will pay a premium price (easily $400 and probably more). Best off just to buy the SNT and have one shotgun for HD and one for hunting.

Plus, I personally wouldnt feel comfortable having an expensive, chrome lined barrel cut and modified.

Just my .02

yeah i agree too. i need to look around to find out which is gunna be the best HD shot gun for around 350 400 bucks. any ideas?

I guess it depends on whether or not we are talking new or used. Also, saying which is "best" can be very subjective.

Other than the Benelli, of course, I like the Mossberg 590 (particularly the 590A1). The Mossberg 500 isnt too bad either from what I hear. Regardless, both should be plentiful, although the 590A1 may take a bit of searching vs. the 590 or 500. Also, many like the Remington 870 Express, but I dont really care for this gun much and have heard of several issues regarding QC on current models. Anyway, the Mossbergs and Remingtons are usually much easier to find, whether new or used.

Of course, you might be able to find a used Nova or SuperNova tactical at a decent price, assuming you dont want to sport the funds for a brand new one.

Anyway, Id recommend doing more research in the area of HD shotguns and then, taking what you have learned, go out and handle some of these in person. Decide which one is "best" for you.

Until that time, asking which shotgun is "best" for HD will essentially yield a bit of fact(s) mixed in with a heap load of opinion(s). :)

Edited by shotgunNoob

I saw a 121 M1 18.5" sell almost instantly today on another forum for $599.

Point being, there are deals out there, but you gotta be on the hunt with cash in hand.

I could also show you a HK M1 S90 Tactickle for $500 at this very moment, but you should be able to find that one yourself.

Edited by tucker301

I guess it depends on whether or not we are talking new or used. Also, saying which is "best" can be very subjective.

Other than the Benelli, of course, I like the Mossberg 590 (particularly the 590A1). The Mossberg 500 isnt too bad either from what I hear. Regardless, both should be plentiful, although the 590A1 may take a bit of searching vs. the 590 or 500. Also, many like the Remington 870 Express, but I dont really care for this gun much and have heard of several issues regarding QC on current models. Anyway, the Mossbergs and Remingtons are usually much easier to find, whether new or used.

Of course, you might be able to find a used Nova or SuperNova tactical at a decent price, assuming you dont want to sport the funds for a brand new one.

i've look at all of those and the only thing i dont like about the Nova tactical is the rifle sights :( just looks kinda funky if you ask me. and the 590 and 870 both look and feel pretty solid but im kinda sketchy on buying a used gun just because im young and dont know all the steps i should/need to take in making sure everything is legal and im not gunna have cops down my throat if they stop me while im out shooting you know what i mean.

So, you are essentially wanting a quality HD shotgun for less than $400 brand new? Hmm..honestly, I just do not have enough experience in these matters to give you a "for sure" answer. Still, for that price range, the 500/590 or 870 may be your best bet. Deals are out there, even on new weapons...just gotta hunt around.

In order to keep costs low, still have a good weapon w/good capacity and allow for the installation of a light w/out needing to buy an extension tube.....my vote goes for the Mossberg 590 Special Purpose 8+1 (20" barrel) w/front bead sight.

All seriousness aside, then you can go out and blow some bucks (as I did) on a heavy walled barrel, metal safety lever, metal trigger guard/assembly and a night sight. ;) Or just buy the 590A1 as I should have done (but I could not find the 8+1 at the time).

Edited by shotgunNoob