Cutting A Barrel??

DevildogBenelli

So, you are essentially wanting a quality HD shotgun for less than $400 brand new? Hmm..honestly, I just do not have enough experience in these matters to give you a "for sure" answer. Still, for that price range, the 500/590 or 870 may be your best bet. Deals are out there, even on new weapons...just gotta hunt around.

In order to keep costs low, still have a good weapon w/good capacity and allow for the installation of a light w/out needing to buy an extension tube.....my vote goes for the Mossberg 590 Special Purpose 8+1 (20" barrel) w/front bead sight.

All seriousness aside, then you can go out and blow some bucks (as I did) on a heavy walled barrel, metal safety lever, metal trigger guard/assembly and a night sight. ;) Or just buy the 590A1 as I should have done (but I could not find the 8+1 at the time).

haha well thanks for the info i need to make my decision soon so im not swingin a 26" barrel around a corner if someone breaks in. thanks a lot for all your imput :)

Ok

I like my Benelli's better than most, having 6 Novas, 2 super 90's a super black eagle etc etc.

BUT

You might just consider something like the 590A1 :

mossberg:http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=G51411

for $388.00

or

http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=G51660

for $434.00

Both very good models for what your talking

or

Just get a good Remington 870 version you like

After (of course) you get all the Benelli's you want.

regards

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cleefurd
im pretty darn sure its illeagle to have your barrel under 20 or 22in in but i could be rong

Very "rong"

But not as wrong as what can happen if someone THINKS you cut it too short....

Randy Weaver did this correctly, the ATF issued a warrant based on their assumption that barrel length was measured from the receiver face forward. He cut it where they (under-cover of course) ASKED him to.... which wound up legal when measured properly as outlined. They tried to trick him in order to coerce him into helping them spy on a two-bit white supremacist.

The resulting warrant was based on a failure to appear infraction related to the "ALLEGED" weapons violation.... also bogus, since Mr Weaver's letter cited a court date one month after the court date filed with the courts.

The rest is history, and the $1,000,000 awarded by congress to his daughters never brought back his wife, son, or dog that agents killed (dog 1st, son shot in the back while fleeing from the incognito agent hiding in a bush that had just killed his dog, and subsequently his wife while holding her infant daughter in an open doorway to the house, while Randy tried to retrieve his son's body from the barn... add to that they shot Randy in the shoulder from a helicopter while his back was turned trying to open the barn door to bring his son away from the swarming flies!)

Sorry for the dissertation. I have lost a wife and daughter myself, they succumbed to E-Choli in 2004. I had no one to hate. If they had been taken by hapless agents, I would have to commit myself to voluntary incarceration in order to subdue my contemplation of revenge... revenge is futile, and usually compounds the loss.

Back on point;

18" Dowell resting on on closed bolt face must not be visible from the side of muzzle. (Or 18.5" which gives excellent 1/2" buffer for margin of error)

Please note; If screw-in choke is present and not absolutely flush, or BELOW flush (recessed) then it should be removed for this barrel length test.

If the region where the barrel SHOULD be cut is cylindrical and not tapered, wrap tape around it where-in the tape meets itself in a perfect over-lapping fashion. The resulting border of the tape will be VERY true to square. Now hack-saw it off just beyond the tape, and take a good file to bring the rough cut edge to the tape. Next take a counter-sinking tool and champher the inner/outer edges to remove all burrs. Harbor Freight sells one that is PERFECT for this purpose here http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93824

Then just visit Brownells for a front bead/drill/and tap. Only moderate skills are required, and patience with a file. Only you can be the judge of that.

• Pad the barrel well when cutting it off, taking care not to over-tighten the vice and distort/crush the barrel
  • Measure twice cut once
  • File just to the tape
  • Double check squareness with a small machinist's square at multiple positions around the muzzle viewing from the side with a well lit back-ground.
  • Lightly champher with mentioned tool which WILL look as good as lathe work with finesse.
  • Triple check your beads desired location, and center punch to get the drill started true, remembering to lightly debur the inside where it enters the bore.
  • Cold blue with Oxpho Blue or similar compound.

The advice to have a professional do this is WISE, especially if your mechanical skills are marginal. But if you do have the time and eye for detail, this may be an IDEAL DIY project.

Shotgun muzzles that are true/square to the "tape-band" standard are more than adequate to perform flawlessly. Now center-fire muzzles are much different, since a single projectile is travelling up to 10 times the distance (or more) than is expected of a shotgun's projectile. Hence the need for enhanced squareness.

Edited by cleefurd

heck. buy an old double barrel coach gun. i see the problem with a longer barrel, and some will disagree. but never hunt your intruder unless your kids bedroom is on the oppositte side of the house from yours. let him find you.if your moving around, he is likly to hear you and hide.

improve the security of your home so that its next to impossible to gain entry. its not hard to do and wont cost much more if any than another barrel.

just a thought.

Cleefurd....i am sorry for your lose my friend,i lost a 5yr old to a drunk driver in 91. i know your pain.

Edited by splashtx556ftw

heck. buy an old double barrel coach gun. i see the problem with a longer barrel, and some will disagree. but never hunt your intruder unless your kids bedroom is on the oppositte side of the house from yours. let him find you.if your moving around, he is likly to hear you and hide.

improve the security of your home so that its next to impossible to gain entry. its not hard to do and wont cost much more if any than another barrel.

just a thought.

Cleefurd....i am sorry for your lose my friend,i lost a 5yr old to a drunk driver in 91. i know your pain.

is that one of those real short double barrels? cause that would be pretty neat ha. how much do those run?

oh and sorry for your lose

Guest cleefurd

Thank you. So much I could say in return, but my sincere hope is that you be well from it all, and remember her fondly.

yes a coach gun is a side by side double with twin hammers and 18" barrels. they are a lot of fun. and if you pull off both barrels at the same time it makes the pattern spread like mad. they were normally greener 10 ga in the 1850-70s.made a mess at close range.

they have them on gunbroker.com, originals are very expensive.reproductions are not too high and they can even be had in 410.