M4 side saddle

jhedge05

I was looking at Mesa tacticals sureshell shell holder. Does anyone have one installed or heard of anything good or bad? I've heard they had some problems with there first batches with the screws stripping the threads. They supposedly got new screws and the problem is fixed.

I was looking at Mesa tacticals sureshell shell holder. Does anyone have one installed or heard of anything good or bad? I've heard they had some problems with there first batches with the screws stripping the threads. They supposedly got new screws and the problem is fixed.

My experience was full of fail. Fit was horrid.

Any recomendations on other products?

Honestly? A 7-shot mag-tube and big pockets. Unless you want to carry those 3-gunner shot-shell holder things that clip to your belt. I don't want to make the M4 any fatter than it is, in fact, that is why I have shaved almost a pound of weight off of it over factory configuration. (or will have, when the parts arrive).

I had a 4 shell mesa. Upgraded to the 6 shell holder. No problems for my M4. Everything Mesa makes is high quality.

I see experiences like this.

I see experiences like mine.

Both come from competant people on both sides. I am forced to conclude that it is hit or miss with the Mesa/M4 combination.

I have a Mesa six shell holder. Fit was great. Had other Mesa products on my 870's and it was great as well.

Much better than all the plactic Tac Star stuff.

I met the Mesa guy at the Costa Mesa show. Very helpful and the customer service was good too.

0523091720.jpg

Edited by ERdept

Did Mesa ever fix the issue where it took 2 hands ro insert the shells? I recall it was very difficult to pull the shells out also.

The Sidearmor rail offers a 4 shell carrier. I have not used it so I can't comment on it's function. I may try it for a project I'm working on.

I used the Tacstar unit. It sucked big floppy donkey dick. You could never get the unit tight and not squeeze the receiver to the point that it would bind the bolt carrier when retracted. It was also easy to shoot loose because of this design that replaced the pin that holds the trigger group in.

If you're dead set on having more shells on the gun, consider one that mounts to the stock. That way the weight is to the rear.

Spectre makes one I think.

Other than the titanium mag tube and charging handle, what other methods are there for reducing the weight of the gun?

Did Mesa ever fix the issue where it took 2 hands ro insert the shells? I recall it was very difficult to pull the shells out also.

The Sidearmor rail offers a 4 shell carrier. I have not used it so I can't comment on it's function. I may try it for a project I'm working on.

I used the Tacstar unit. It sucked big floppy donkey dick. You could never get the unit tight and not squeeze the receiver to the point that it would bind the bolt carrier when retracted. It was also easy to shoot loose because of this design that replaced the pin that holds the trigger group in.

If you're dead set on having more shells on the gun, consider one that mounts to the stock. That way the weight is to the rear.

Spectre makes one I think.

Other than the titanium mag tube and charging handle, what other methods are there for reducing the weight of the gun?

I am running a titanium tube and collapsible stock. The bolt-handle is all but unnoticeable. Just a technical number really.

I have a buttstock shell-holder in black for the M4S90 if anyone wants it, It should arrive the 27th. I bought it before I knew I was getting the collapsible. I will post the model # when it comes in along with a price if there is any interest.