Recommended Non Toxic Loads for SuperNova

BigwhiteZ

I'm shooting a SuperNova for waterfowling. Can anyone share some wisdom on what steel, bismuth, black cloud, hevi-shot, or hevi-steel that the SuperNova seems to like? Unfortunately you cant buy these shells individually, therefore variable patterning can get very expensive. Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

I'm shooting a SuperNova for waterfowling. Can anyone share some wisdom on what steel, bismuth, black cloud, hevi-shot, or hevi-steel that the SuperNova seems to like? Unfortunately you cant buy these shells individually, therefore variable patterning can get very expensive. Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

my friend had a supernova before he got his xtrema2 and he used black cloud for geese and kents fast steel for ducks and trust me he gets them! hope it helps im already gearing up for duck season and i still got till october

I think he's just wondering what patterns best I would ask the same question

Well, the harder the shot, the tighter the pattern for given constriction, as a rule.

Following this, the Hevi-shot and Steel will pattern tighter than Bismuth.

He listed all top-end loads, and his weapon may like one that yours hates, or vice-versa.

My experience with patterns of several feet at 30 yards with Hornady TAP buckshot vs. 12" patterns at the same distance in other people's testing is a perfect illustration.

thanks for everyones reply. I don't have the time at the moment because I am at work. I found a very very interesting article on Ducks unlimited website concerning the best loads. It contains a lot of facts about many loads used from 30 yds out. It has info concerning velocity, load sizes, energy at different distances, etc. It is pretty interesting as well, but thanks for all the info! Any additional will be appreciated.

I do understand that each gun is different, but statistically speaking, I am hoping it is possible to quickly narrow my search without buying too many shells as I am completely new to waterfowling. I am also shooting the pistol grip stock, which I am finding great for turkeys, but I am an archer, and moving targets are giving me some grief.

According to the article, three of the different Kent nontoxic loads performed the best out of all that actually "PASSED" the testing. Kent loads in my area are middle of the road in pricing, so I hope i am on to something.

Well, the harder the shot, the tighter the pattern for given constriction, as a rule.

Following this, the Hevi-shot and Steel will pattern tighter than Bismuth.

He listed all top-end loads, and his weapon may like one that yours hates, or vice-versa.

My experience with patterns of several feet at 30 yards with Hornady TAP buckshot vs. 12" patterns at the same distance in other people's testing is a perfect illustration.

I agree, all shotguns shoot different, that's the beauty of them...they're like snowflakes.:p

Maybe YOUR Benelli breaks once a month, allows others to shoot it behind your back, and rattles endlessly, but my M4 does not.

You forgot to mention that the m4 does not require large amounts of cash to maintain, it remains useful and competent under stress, and it lets you strip it down whenever you feel like getting dirty.

Edited by Duggan

• 3 weeks later...