sporting guns???

VINCIshooter

I shoot 25s in trap with my field 870 and I proved alot of people at my trap club wrong when they said nobody could do it with a field gun so why pay thousands more for a TRAP gun in my opinion a guns a gun I got my vinci well I will have it next wensday and thats gonna be my TRAP gun and they told me no one could shoot over a 23 with a benelli that wont last long any one have any opinions on TRAP guns to field guns:cool:

It is a lot of fun to show up the loud snobs with the $20,000 target guns. Fancy wood, engraving and gold inlays don't make you a better shooter. If I could afford the gold and engraving, I'd have it too, but I know I can still be beat with a well worn 870 Wingmaster. I don't begrudge anyone who can buy a nice shotgun, I was fondling and drooling on a Beretta grade 4 Silver Pigeon last night, more of a piece of art then a shotgun, but it won't make up for poor shooting. As the old saying goes, "Beware the man with only one shotgun - he probably knows how to use it."

Yes, it can be done. Yes, I do better than the "bigger" boys on the range. But, its practice for them. I did better than a man on a string of 25, but the week before he shot like 600 straight at the American Grand. Almost all of us that shoot field guns can't do that. Beating them in a game of 25 is away different than a game of 1000. I would suggest learning from them more than anything. They will teach you alot.

Again, I'm sticking to my original staement. 600 straight is the result of hundreds of hours of practice - not any particular brand of shotgun. Fit is all important, and the higher end guns can be adjustable to assure perfect fit, but the most important factor is talent and/or natural ability. Someone who shoots 600 straight could probably take a Stoeger and shoot 600 straight, but I couldn't take one of their Perrazzi's and do the same.

Can you shoot trap and be successful with a field 870? Of course you can. As is commonly heard on the trap fields (and skeet and sporting clays) "its the Indian, not the arrow."

But if you think those more expensive guns don't make a difference, you're wrong.

No, they won't make up for poor shooting. A poor shooter will shoot poorly no matter how expensive his equipment.

And its also true, that an excellent shooter will shoot well even with a field gun.

But, that excellent shooter will probably get benefit from using better equipment.

I have a friend who has a 98% singles trap average, and he shoots a nearly unmodified Remington 1100 trap model (he did have some trigger work done on it.)

I have another friend who also has a 98% singles trap average, and he shoots a Perazzi MX-10 with adjustable rib, adjustable comb, an adjustable butt plate, and a precision release trigger.

One cost less than $1000. The other cost more than $5000. Which one is better? Depends on whom you ask.

A fellow named Leo Harrison broke all kinds of trap shooting records with a Remington 1100 (modified with a high rib and adjustable stock, and precision trigger.) He now shoots a Beretta DT-10. Why? Because its a better gun, and he shoots better scores with it.

Heck, I can shoot 25's with my Mossberg 500. Do I want to try to use it in a competition where I'm shooting 100 singles targets, 100 handicap targets, and 100 doubles targets? Heck no!

It has a terrible trigger, and it kicks like a mule, and it doesn't fit me as well as my trap gun. And over the course of 300 or 400 targets in a day, recoil can be a significant factor. A heavy gun that fits well reduces fatigue due to recoil.

And a good trigger is one of those "little" things good guns have that field guns don't, and you don't appreciate it until you shoot a gun with a good trigger for a while.

Field guns are made to take a few hundred shots a year and last forever.

Competition guns are made to closer tolerances and precision, and made out of better materials, to be able to take 10,000 or 20,000 shots a year and last almost forever (with regular maintenance.)

Breaking 25 and announcing you're better than those trap shooters who have expensive guns is fine. But heads up in a big trap competion, where you break 100 straight, and then you have to shoot off against the other guys who also broke 100 straight, is where you really prove your mettle.

Trap shooters don't shoot expensive guns just for show. There's a reason. The reason is, those guns are better guns, and they're made specifically for the game.

Can you shoot trap and be successful with a field 870? Of course you can. As is commonly heard on the trap fields (and skeet and sporting clays) "its the Indian, not the arrow."

But if you think those more expensive guns don't make a difference, you're wrong.

No, they won't make up for poor shooting. A poor shooter will shoot poorly no matter how expensive his equipment.

And its also true, that an excellent shooter will shoot well even with a field gun.

But, that excellent shooter will probably get benefit from using better equipment.

I have a friend who has a 98% singles trap average, and he shoots a nearly unmodified Remington 1100 trap model (he did have some trigger work done on it.)

I have another friend who also has a 98% singles trap average, and he shoots a Perazzi MX-10 with adjustable rib, adjustable comb, an adjustable butt plate, and a precision release trigger.

One cost less than $1000. The other cost more than $5000. Which one is better? Depends on whom you ask.

A fellow named Leo Harrison broke all kinds of trap shooting records with a Remington 1100 (modified with a high rib and adjustable stock, and precision trigger.) He now shoots a Beretta DT-10. Why? Because its a better gun, and he shoots better scores with it.

Heck, I can shoot 25's with my Mossberg 500. Do I want to try to use it in a competition where I'm shooting 100 singles targets, 100 handicap targets, and 100 doubles targets? Heck no!

It has a terrible trigger, and it kicks like a mule, and it doesn't fit me as well as my trap gun. And over the course of 300 or 400 targets in a day, recoil can be a significant factor. A heavy gun that fits well reduces fatigue due to recoil.

And a good trigger is one of those "little" things good guns have that field guns don't, and you don't appreciate it until you shoot a gun with a good trigger for a while.

Field guns are made to take a few hundred shots a year and last forever.

Competition guns are made to closer tolerances and precision, and made out of better materials, to be able to take 10,000 or 20,000 shots a year and last almost forever (with regular maintenance.)

Breaking 25 and announcing you're better than those trap shooters who have expensive guns is fine. But heads up in a big trap competion, where you break 100 straight, and then you have to shoot off against the other guys who also broke 100 straight, is where you really prove your mettle.

Trap shooters don't shoot expensive guns just for show. There's a reason. The reason is, those guns are better guns, and they're made specifically for the game.

well i think thats great that you think that. but i still disagree. its funny how you said about the 100 straight and a shoot off when my friend just got a shoot off with 100 straight then hthey shot 50 straight in the shoot off till the next round were the other guy shot 24 with a browning XT and my friend larry got another 25 and one wich gave him 175 striaght with a nova unmodified

well i think thats great that you think that. but i still disagree. its funny how you said about the 100 straight and a shoot off when my friend just got a shoot off with 100 straight then hthey shot 50 straight in the shoot off till the next round were the other guy shot 24 with a browning XT and my friend larry got another 25 and one wich gave him 175 striaght with a nova unmodified

Please re-read my post.

I never said you couldn't be successful with a field gun shooting trap. I said there are valid reasons why competition shooters typically don't use field guns.

I also never said there was anything wrong with field guns. Indeed, I have many more field guns than I have competition guns.

But field guns are made for the field, and competition guns are made for competition, and there's a big difference between them, and its not just the price.

Edited by timb99

I would suggest learning from them more than anything. They will teach you alot.

I will quote myself again. Tim is one of them you should learn from.

Vinci, It only took you a week to get back to the way you were when you first started on this forum. Don't make me sick Montypro back on you again.

I will quote myself again. Tim is one of them you should learn from.

Vinci, It only took you a week to get back to the way you were when you first started on this forum. Don't make me sick Montypro back on you again.

Hey, I tried my best and it ain't workin'... I'm going to the house. Hope he passes eighth grade English.

im not sure what your disapointed at me about I cant say my opinion? I've been asking alot more than saying if you noticed and I graduated tonight actually top of the class

Congratulations on your graduation AND on your graduation present! Now that you are a big stud High School-Harry, why not try giving us a capital letter at the beginning of each sentence and a period at the end? You can do better on this and you know it, now don't you? It sure would make your posts easier to read. Take it into consideration anyway. To me, and probably others, it would be a sign of increased maturity. Go for it!

Have a great summer! What you gonna' do?... shoot, get a job, chase the ladies? Hope you have a good time at whatever. Does the High School you are going to next year have a shooting team?... or is there an outside-of-school club?

Well for summer the first and the last ones of your opinions, and the high school doesen't have a shooting team my team is at a club.

Terrific, my man! Capitals & and period at the end of the sentence... and this summer you plan to be a shooter and lady fancier. You fit in here real well now. You are communicating like an adult! Bless you, dude.

Are there any 'big-deal' shooting matches coming up for your club this summer? Bet you'll knock 'em dead with your new Vinci! Hope it doesn't shoot high for you like my Montefeltro did when I first got it... I had to change the shims to get the POI down to the POA. But it works great now. I'd be interested to just know if you get extra shims with that new Vinci... could you let us know when you get it?

Hope you become the next Tom Knapp... keep shooting... and be careful every chance you get!

Terrific, my man! Capitals & and period at the end of the sentence... and this summer you plan to be a shooter and lady fancier. You fit in here real well now. You are communicating like an adult! Bless you, dude.

Are there any 'big-deal' shooting matches coming up for your club this summer? Bet you'll knock 'em dead with your new Vinci! Hope it doesn't shoot high for you like my Montefeltro did when I first got it... I had to change the shims to get the POI down to the POA. But it works great now. I'd be interested to just know if you get extra shims with that new Vinci... could you let us know when you get it?

Hope you become the next Tom Knapp... keep shooting... and be careful every chance you get!

Yeah ill have

it by 4:15 wensday afternoon I'll post When I get home with it. I know it comes with shims in the box is that what you ment?

• 2 weeks later...