SBE trouble...

livergsp

Hey all.

I am having some issues w/ my SBE and patterning aftermarket choke tubes.

I have A Patternmaster ext. and it has been patterning very low. The top of the pattern is my point of aim, so I thought I would try others, and my Briley LM ext/poted is also low.Hav not tried factory tube yet, but will do so this weekend. This past weekend I shot my worst ever Sporting clays round, and was not smoking targets unless I raised my barrel on purpose.

I am not giving up yet, but I am getting very frustrated.

Does anyone have A clue???

Please post any info, I am open to suggestions.

Thanks guys.

Scott

[ 05-23-2006, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: livergsp ]

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys think A shim in the stock will change the POI of the barrel?

I am aiming the gun at A stationary target using the front and rear beads the same position(in line) every time I shoot. From A bench like A rifle.

I could understand if the gun didn't fit, but not for POI from the barrel.

At this point I will try anything!

Thanks,

Scott

If you're shooting low, you're sighting the shotgun too much like a rifle and not seeing any rib in the sight picture.

You should see some rib and the target should be clearly and fully visible just above the front bead.

In other words, if the target were a duck with his landing gear down, you should have the bead at the same level as his feet, with the bird fully visible above the barrel.

If there's a mid bead, then the two beads should line up to make a figure 8, again with the target fully on top of the 8.

This is so a shotgun can be pointed and fired while keeping both eyes opened and keeping the target fully in view.

When shooting in this manner, changing the drop does affect the POI, but not so much when shooting from a bench.

If you want to shoot turkeys or targets from a bench while sighting like a rifle, then you may need an adjustable optic.

WOW!!!

Now I am really stumped.

I changed my shims from The "D" to the "B" and got worse.

Now what?

Anyone need A SBE?

Thanks for the help guys, but I think something else is wrong w/ the gun.

Scott

Did you try the factory tube as you said you would?

Maybe the aftermarket tubes are off?

Maybe your gun's choke threading is off?

No offense intended, but if D to B made the gun shoot lower for you, then it is you, not the gun.

If you said B was higher, but the gun still shot too low, then I might think there is a problem.

I'd try the factory chokes with the A shim. If that is still low, then call Benelli CS and get the gun ready to go back...

mudhen - CA

I think that you guys might be correct.... It may just be me!!!

I did not pattern the gun, I just shot A round of S.C.'s.

A guy w/ A new SBEII on his 2nd ever time shooting SC beat me by 5 birds.(I shot his and he tried mine)

W/ the same results!

I have never been this bad, so I am going to get my eyes checked.

Creeping up on ole 40.

My SBE didn't come w/ an "A" shim, so I am going to put in the "C" shim now and forget about it.

I think that aiming at Turkey targets has me not pointing my gun correctly.

I have always been in the 80's in S.C., and now I am struggling to break 60 birds.

Thanks guys for your suggestions and advise.

Scott

PS Mudhen, is that you from the Refuge?

Good to see ya!

livergsp

[ 05-26-2006, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: livergsp ]

Originally posted by livergsp:

I think that you guys might be correct.... It may just be me!!!

I did not pattern the gun, I just shot A round of S.C.'s.

A guy w/ A new SBEII on his 2nd ever time shooting SC beat me by 5 birds.(I shot his and he tried mine)

W/ the same results!

I have never been this bad, so I am going to get my eyes checked.

Creeping up on ole 40.

My SBE didn't come w/ an "A" shim, so I am going to put in the "C" shim now and forget about it.

I think that aiming at Turkey targets has me not pointing my gun correctly.

I have always been in the 80's in S.C., and now I am struggling to break 60 birds.

Thanks guys for your suggestions and advise.

Scott

PS Mudhen, is that you from the Refuge?

Good to see ya!

livergsp

Yes, I am also mudhen on the 'fuge.

Yes to the turkey thing for me too - I shoot about 100-125 turkey loads a year and it tends to screw me all up!

Best thing to do it just take the SBE out and shoot - shoot - shoot. Starlings, pidge, trap, milk jugs, whatever it takes to get the mojo back! I pattern my guns every summer as my pea brain just needs retraining all the time...

I'll look for a spare A shim in my box of Benelli parts. If I find one, I'll PM you for your address.

mudhen - CA

In your first post you said you did patteren the gun.

"I am having some issues w/ my SBE and patterning aftermarket choke tubes.

I have A Patternmaster ext. and it has been patterning very low. The top of the pattern is my point of aim, so I thought I would try others, and my Briley LM ext/poted is also low."

And on on your last post

"I did not pattern the gun, I just shot A round of S.C.'s."

Am I not understanding this right? :confused: :confused:

[ 05-27-2006, 08:27 AM: Message edited by: BLACK JACK ]

Thanks mudhen!

Hey do you know how much A 28" barrel would be and where to get them?(for my SBE)

BJ,

Not sure what you are asking!?!?!?

I patterned my SBE for turkey season w/ A Patternmaster EXT tube(for goose hunting) to see if it would work on turkey load.

The pattern was very low using the rifle method of sighting, so I tried others.

The only ones that put the POI on the POA were none extending tubes, like my Briley xfull turkey and factory tubes. Everthing that is extended is throwing my pattern very low!

So I tried to forget about the POI and POA stuff and went out and shot A couple of rounds of SC.

Does this help?

Scott

[ 05-27-2006, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: livergsp ]

Funny all the talk here lately about stock shims, I read a really good article in June 2006 Shooting times in the firing line dept. Testing the different shims for the SBEll and it showed about 20" difference in the center of pattern at 40yrds between the 50 and 65mm shims. Sounds to me if you just have a high, low problem it would be time well spent.

John

Originally posted by john h:

Funny all the talk here lately about stock shims, I read a really good article in June 2006 Shooting times in the firing line dept. Testing the different shims for the SBEll and it showed about 20" difference in the center of pattern at 40yrds between the 50 and 65mm shims. Sounds to me if you just have a high, low problem it would be time well spent.

John

I read the same article and got blasted for bringing it up here!

Some say it only applies to wingshooting and that it has no effect on shooting a gun with two beads. This is simply contrary to what I have experienced when testing.

The Shooting Times article described my experiences exactly!

The part that most are missing is that beads can be lined up differently for different folks. My SBE II has a tiny little silver mid-bead and a tiny red end bead. I don't figure-8 them, I just line up the silver behind the red and fire. Even a minor change in how the beads line up can change the POI, especially at longer distances. I am quite sure that I am getting the desired change in POI because I hold the gun the same and somehow subconsciously use the beads differently.

For whatever reason, I can move my POI all over the place on MY SBE II by changing the drop & cast.

Another point that most missed is that if you change the shims, you should not hold the gun differently if you are trying to change the POI. Don't move the buttpad up or down from it's normal resting place.

Some argued that the shims made absolutely no difference at all with beads, a point I agree with if you modify how you shoulder the gun in order to accomodate lining up the beads...

mudhen - CA

Would love to read this article that is refernced

and I promise to be open minded..... The thing

is, about turkey hunting, you dont always have the luxury of mounting the gun precisely evrytime.

left handed shots, shots taken prone, twisted left, twisted right, the only constant is that your

eye must use the the rib (beads) to line up the shot.

The only effect that I would concede that by changing shims you change the dirction of dynamic recoil because the weight distribution is altered ever so slightly. This , in turn would change the POI. I do not believe, however, that

the resulting change is sufficient to move the POI more than a few inches.

I say again ( without blasting any one) that while wingshooting, your eye is the back sight which

should stay constant during the shot. therefore, when you mount the gun, the orientation of the gun in relation to your eye is changed if you change the shims.

While turkey hunting , the constant is the direction the barrel is pointed as indicated by the

rib (beads) your eye must go to where these sights are pointed, otherwise you wont know

precisely where the gun is pointed.

But , no big deal for anyone to get upset, if you kill turkeys and I kill turkeys, that's cool.

Benelli is a great gun. (especially one that shoots dead on)

HH

[ 05-28-2006, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: HH ]

Thanks Remy!

I have been watching that one, but didn't bid.

I will get one sometime.

Does anyone know where that article is?

I have searched everwhere with no luck!

Thanks again.

Scott

[ 05-29-2006, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: livergsp ]

This is from Benelli's own customer service dept.

Date: 05/30/06 11:28:59

To: [email protected]

Subject: RE: BenelliUSA.com Comment

When using a scope the shims will make no difference at

all on the POI, since no matter where the stock is, you would need to

reposition your face to see through the scope clearly.

I hope this helps!

Have a good day!

Originally posted by HH:

This is from Benelli's own customer service dept.

Date: 05/30/06 11:28:59

To: [email protected]

Subject: RE: BenelliUSA.com Comment

When using a scope the shims will make no difference at

all on the POI, since no matter where the stock is, you would need to

reposition your face to see through the scope clearly.

I hope this helps!

Have a good day!

Nice work in getting an answer about using a scope with shims. Too bad the question had nothing to do with scopes!

Now answer the real question about wingshooting, turk shooting, and beads.

Beads are not scopes. Beads are little chunks of plastic and metal designed to assist some shooters in aligning their barrels. Benelli can't even put most of them on straight!

I use the very small Benelli beads to help me line up the barrel a bit. After that, I test 100-125 turkey loads a year to train my brain and eyes where I should hold to get the POI I desire. I test pattern in the field with full body turkey targets set in real hunting situations. I really do not look at the beads and/or the barrel much anymore, I just know where my Benelli will deliver the pattern.

When I change shims, the POI changes, period.

When you can get Benelli CS to reply to what's going on in my brain, then you are getting somewhere!

Donnie says vacuum...

mudhen - CA

Listen carefully, a scope lines up to indicate

where the gun shoots. exactly what two beads on a rigid rib does, if the gun shoots straight.

The advantage of a scope is that its adjustable,

whereby beads and ribs are fixed. The point

is that once the two of them are lined up, you can change the shims all you want to and it wont effect the Point of Impact , because as

Benelli CS confirms....."no matter where the stock is, you would need to reposition your face to see through the scope clearly." You can substitute

the words beads for scope in this instance.

If you are shooting turkey's instinctively like when we all wingshoot, so be it. But I will

only accept a full apology from you for calling me an " idiot" ; telling me to "refrain from posting

on subjects" here on Benelli, not to mention

your honorless attempt to win pity

when you claim to be "blasted" by others.

You are insulting and arrogant ...and wrong.

HH

Originally posted by HH:

Listen carefully, a scope lines up to indicate

where the gun shoots. exactly what two beads on a rigid rib does,

Dude!

Where were you when I was spending $1,000 on that Leupold 6-24 for my varmint rig?!

Had I known that all I needed was a couple of beads, I coulda saved a ton of cash!

I think the point this dude is making is that a scope or two beads are doing the same thing....

rigid alignment of where the gun is shooting.

I guess the day they invent 9X magnification, light gathering capacity on a pair of beads, then maybe they'll charge a bunch for it too.

ARCHER

[ 05-30-2006, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: ARCHER ]