SBE trouble...

livergsp

HH,

You lost me again at 'scope'! Beads are not scopes. Donnie says vacuum...

As for the 'idiot' thing, in the post where I did it, it was, and still is, appropriate. You were blaming Benelli for the Winchester poly ball buffer leaking from their shells. You were, and still are, an 'idiot' for bashing Benelli about Winchester's poor quality control.

You actually owe Benelli CS an apology for calling them 'clueless' about some other manufacturer's problem issues.

My only apology on that subject is that I suger-coated the 'idiot' part. I should have said '****ing idiot'...

As for posting when you have no actual knowledge on the subject, that is just common sense. Many folks come here for info on their firearms, and to provide an uneducated reply is inconsiderate at best, potentially dangerous at worst.

If attempting to prevent uneducated people from disseminating potentially dangerous information to the innocent folks who merely come here for advice is insulting and arrogant, then I humbly plead guilty...

mudhen - CA

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, mudhen...... I've made my point , quite succesfully , I think. A scope is the same as beads on a rib and shims wont have any effect

on your POI if you reposition your eye to the

fixed line Point of Aim of your beads (or scope).

Now, the question is no longer about shims , or

scopes or POI but whether you are big enough of a man to admit that my observations have merit.

HH

HH,

When it comes to scopes and repositioning after shim adjustments, of course, your observations have some merit. Most points have some merit.

Now the question goes back to the quite appropriate apology you still owe Benelli CS for the insensitive 'clueless' comment.

They read all these posts, and you probably ruined someone's day with your callous remarks. It's time to do the right thing and apologize. Flowers might be nice too...

mudhen - CA

Ahh - Once again I find some spectacular entertainment on this site. It truley rivals even the most controversial opinions found on various bird dog sites. :cool:

Livergsp - speaking of bird dogs (I know I'm off topic here) your handle would indicate that your a shorthair fancier, am I correct? I also am a shorthair man, best dogs on earth in my opinion. I take it you like all liver colored GSPs. Beautiful dogs they are.

And Mudhen - Um, I'm just a simple country boy with expensive hobbies like bird hunting and bird dogs and nice guns. So I've got one question for you........What in the world does "Donnie says vacuum" mean. ;)

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Keep up the good humor folks. But let's not get as nasty as the bird dog forums do. :D

Come on fellas....I did not mean for this to be A yellin' match!!!

I will do A test this weekend(if possible) and give ya all the results.

I will do an "open eye" pattern/shim test w/ my SBE and Nova.

Then I will do A sight (left eye closed) rifle style test w/ different shims.

I just think that one of two things could be wrong.

1.My gun mounting has changed in the last two years.

(in hunting and sporting clays...not sighting!)

2.My SBE and Nova don't like after market tubes(extended).

They both have been shooting way to low(rifle sighting) on pattern test's w/ extended after market tubes.

I have even sent A Patternmaster back for A new one.(nice folks at PM)

NMB,

Yes I do like GSP's, and yes mine is all Liver.

She is one tough five and A half yr. old.

She loves any kinda hunting that I have thrown at her so far.

She is just A little too impatient on A slow duck day, but she will swim until she can't go anymore.

She is the smartest dog that I have ever owned!

Thanks guys!

Scott

From which end eggs must be broken, before we eat them?

Guys, you’re starting to remind me the heroes from “Gulliver's Travels”. Obviously, you both are adamant in your believes. You both made your point and we read it several times. HH, you are right, I do mean it, but I’ll go with Mudhen on this one because he’s “practically” right. Just drop this subject, please.

I think we all agree that you point a shotgun at moving targets. And we might all agree that we aim at a stationary target with a shotgun using the bead, rifle sights, and or scope. Note I said might agree. Having said this:

Livergsp, have someone stand behind you when shooting clays. He or she can see where you wad is going, high or low, and you can use the shims to compensate for that. You are pointing a shotgun when shooting at moving targets.

As for the next debated subject: If your pattern is low when shooting at a stationary target using your bead or beads in your case, the only way to raise it is use a smaller bead at the muzzle. You may even have to remove the mid bead. If your pattern is still low you can also file that smaller muzzle bead down. After doing all of this and its still low, its possible that your barrel wasn't bored and threaded correctly, makeing your chokes crooked in relation to the barrel. This would be an issue with Benelli customer service.

HH is right, once a scope is mounted, shimming will not raise or lower your pattern. Same as the case when aiming with a bead or rifle sights, shimming will not raise or lower your pattern. Period.

The only way to change you pattern when aiming, is to adjust the sights. By sights I mean bead, rifle sights, or scope.

If you shoot a slug through a barrel with rifle sights mounted to it, and your point of impact is low, the only way to change it is adjust the sights. Lowering the rear sight will bring the slug down, raising the rear sight will bring it up. Shimming will do nothing for you. Period.

Same case with a bead when aiming at a stationary target, if the pattern is low, smaller bead. If the pattern is high, bigger bead. Shimming will do nothing for you. Period.

[ 05-31-2006, 08:01 AM: Message edited by: perrytrails ]

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by mudhen:

Donnie says vacuum.....

mudhen - CA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Donnie says vacuum.....

What does that mean you freaky freak?!!! :D

Do tell now!

Interesting to see people this passionate about there hobbies, in other parts of the world people are worried about Big brother coming in and doing whatever, whenever! and feeding the people they care most about, and we have time for this.It's kinda cool living in America isn't it? God bless America!!!

John

Mudhen, what the **** kinda comment was that? After reading all of your post here, I thought you had some common sense, maybe I was wrong? You totally missed what I was saying!! This seems to be the typical type of response this site has to offer, I thought maybe I could learn something here, maybe not.

Good day sir,

John

P.S. Don't know why I got so worked up over someone from the far left coast.

i believe mr. mudhen understood perfectly; it is you who misunderstood his sarcasm.

by the way, i am relieved that the source of this arguement has finally become clear to me. mudhen puts in a lot of practice to shoot right where he points, hence the effect of the shims. the rest of us, it would seem, use our sights.

personally, i am a little jealous that he has the time to spend shooting 150 practice shots. i bought my benelli this spring and have had a chance to shoot a mere 2 turkey loads through it. the first to verify that it shot where i wanted it to, with an adequate pattern. the second dropped my turkey.

to each his own, i guess.

Last I can recall Mo. was a red state?

At least I was. I am very thankful for what I have and where I'm at!! If you ever get to the mid-west I'd like nothing more than to have a beer with you.

You seem like an interesting fellow, myself I have no desire to visit Cal. Been close hunting in Colorado.

Regards,

John

by the way, NM birdman, I had a good time looking for turkeys in your state. we hunted a bit north of silver city, north of lake roberts. It's great to be able to get the tag over the counter. here in AZ you have to get drawn, which can be a rare event.

Originally posted by john h:

Last I can recall Mo. was a red state?

At least I was. I am very thankful for what I have and where I'm at!! If you ever get to the mid-west I'd like nothing more than to have a beer with you.

You seem like an interesting fellow, myself I have no desire to visit Cal. Been close hunting in Colorado.

Regards,

John

I'm from MO, still get back there quite a bit to hunt, great state no doubt and you are lucky to live there year long. I'll contact you before my next visit.

We try our best out here to keep the anti's honest. We elected the Terminator and it looks like he will get another term. The NRA is strong here and guns are a huge $$$ business in Cali, so we just fight them tooth and nail...

mudhen - CA

Siskr - Glad you had a good time chasing turkeys in the Gila. Did you get one? I also hunted up in the Gila . . . a bit farther north than you . . . but I got spanked! Oh I got into plenty of birds but I just couldn't pull it all together this year to pop one with my new M2. I passed up numerous jakes and I've got all kinds of other excuses that I could tell you about why I didn't bag a tom this year . . . truth is I made some awful mistakes and impatience got the better of me. Dang!

Mudhen - I lived in Elk Grove for 2 years back in the early 90s. I'm from NM but my wife and I found ourselves out there as a result of a job opportunity for her. Kind of a neat area . . . certainly nicer than southern Cal. IMO. Saw some neat things while there and made some good friends. I wish I had tried a little hunting a fishing while there, but my hobbies were different then - mountain biking. Actually, I saw quite a few turkeys while riding in the Salmon Falls area.

BTW - Glad to have someone out there keeping the anti's in check!

[ 06-01-2006, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: NM Birdman ]

NM Birdman, i did indeed get one, but not before i made a few mistakes myself, the first of which was to set up between a bird i located the night before, and the dirt road into the location. there was no way that bird was coming my way when the large number of other hunters started coming down the road in the morning. on the second day of the hunt, however, i bagged one. oddly enough, i was saved from more stupidity by a barbed wire fence. straight ahead of us, a bit of a distance off, we heard some hens. ahead and to the left, about the same distance away, there was a gobbler. so we walked up between them and let out a few calls. the gobbler replied, but was still a good way off, so we began to walk his way with the intent of getting a little closer and picking a spot to hide. we came upon the aforementioned fence, and took a right turn to a spot about 30yards down, where the fence had fallen, so we could cross. right at this time, the bird let out a gobble, and wouldn't you know, he wasn't all that far from the fence where we first ran into it. had that fence not been there, we would have run him right over. i didn't think we had moved in that close to him. in any case, we immediately dropped to the ground, let out a few yelps, and the tom came strutting in. he stepped out from behind some thick juniper into a clear area, and as if on cue, broke his strut to have a look around. it was all over for him at that point.

we also passed on some jakes. we spotted some birds coming down a hill toward us while we were on a hill opposite. we dropped down behind some logs, and waited for them to come up our way. as they came up over the top and into view, one of the jakes spotted my brother and got curious. he walked up to within 10 feet of my brother's muzzle. my brother turned to me, i was about 20 feet away, and asked if he should shoot him. we had a full volume conversation on the matter, all the while turning back and forth between each other and the jake. the stupid jake just stood there watching us the whole time as if we were his entertainment. we decided to let him go, and eventually he wandered off. i guess turkeys are like people... some are pretty smart, and some are dumb as bricks.

anyway, it was a good time.