Sporting clays chokes, which 3?

ERdept

If your shooting a Benelli, cyl, imp and mod. Benelli's shoot a lot tighter than most - especially the crio like the Super Sport and Sport II. For those who may disagree - opinions are just that. But I can attest to the mod in a SS at 80 yds breaking true pairs repeatedly, with Mike McAlpine as the witness. Full is way to much unless you are shooting mini's at 50 yards...IMHO

Doggone it Buzz, there you go blowing my cover as a shotgun shooting know-it-all. I had these folks all convinced I knew something.

BTW, whomever reads this thread, take Buzz64's word as gospel. He's a Master Class sporting clays shooter.

The rest of us are not worthy ;-)

Edited by timb99

Perfect. Thank you for your opinions. Besides lessons, i suppose my quesiton also is, is aftermarket truly better than stock.

Just ask Swartzenbagel... he has ALL the answers for you CA guys! (Yes, my tongue IS in my cheek... just having fun... no offense intended... please try to laugh.) I would fear that the very best chokes are probably illegal in CA. (More BS)

Move to Texas... we'll sell you a machine gun and a grenade or two!

+++++

Realism: My after-market Briley chokes work better than the supplied Benelli chokes and are not all that expensive. Go to Briley.com and see what you think. They are a great company and give great service.

As a beginner, on a budget, why would you buy 3 new chokes for sporting clays?

The above mentioned advice from the "real" sporting clays shooters is great.... but here is my take from a fellow amateur, middle-class guy, without a lot of extra money.

So_ what gun do plan to learn the game with {an O-U will take 2 chokes!}?

What chokes do you have for that gun now?

Why are those chokes not doing the job (i.e. helping you make the shots your missing on the clays course)?

My short answer was to get a single extended Briley IM for that pesky "presentation" I was always missing with my semi-auto. Why? Well first of all my stock chokes were bugging me cause they occasionally needed me to take out the wrench and tighten them. I blamed this act for distracting me ( it probably didn't really, but you gotta blame something for the missed shots!). Secondly, I patterned my stock choke sets on a pattern board with the ammo load I would be using for clays. I (and a few of my more experience shooter friends) guessed I needed a somewhat tighter pattern for my way of shooting that pesky station.

When I went to my local sporting goods store the chokes cost $30 UPWARDS each. I picked the Briley IM for the pattern tightness I was "expecting" to get, and the extended version to solve the "wrench" issue, and the price was really good. Why Briley? Well its a good brand and it was there on the shelf!

Other good reputation chokes would have done just as well if they were readily available, and in my price range. http://www.briley.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=3

In summary, us amateurs may be better off picking' ONE choke to start blaming our missed shots on. It will tell you all about the other 2 chokes you think you need. Chokes to us beginners are an experiment in spending money $$$, they are magic-voodoo objects to get lucky hitting clays with!:D

As a beginner, on a budget, why would you buy 3 new chokes for sporting clays?

The above mentioned advice from the "real" sporting clays shooters is great.... but here is my take from a fellow amateur, middle-class guy, without a lot of extra money.

So_ what gun do plan to learn the game with {an O-U will take 2 chokes!}?

What chokes do you have for that gun now?

Why are those chokes not doing the job (i.e. helping you make the shots your missing on the clays course)?

My short answer was to get a single extended Briley IM for that pesky "presentation" I was always missing with my semi-auto. Why? Well first of all my stock chokes were bugging me cause they occasionally needed me to take out the wrench and tighten them. I blamed this act for distracting me ( it probably didn't really, but you gotta blame something for the missed shots!). Secondly, I patterned my stock choke sets on a pattern board with the ammo load I would be using for clays. I (and a few of my more experience shooter friends) guessed I needed a somewhat tighter pattern for my way of shooting that pesky station.

When I went to my local sporting goods store the chokes cost $30 UPWARDS each. I picked the Briley IM for the pattern tightness I was "expecting" to get, and the extended version to solve the "wrench" issue, and the price was really good. Why Briley? Well its a good brand and it was there on the shelf!

Other good reputation chokes would have done just as well if they were readily available, and in my price range. http://www.briley.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=3

In summary, us amateurs may be better off picking' ONE choke to start blaming our missed shots on. It will tell you all about the other 2 chokes you think you need. Chokes to us beginners are an experiment in spending money $$$, they are magic-voodoo objects to get lucky hitting clays with!:D

Well put, Mr. Sluggo, and I totally agree! (Although, I am NOT an experienced clay shooter... I do upland... But I patterned carefully when selecting my Briley's.) Briley IM extended is what I shoot (and leave the 4 stock chokes and my Briley Extended Improved Skeet in the equipment bag).

OK, I got a Skeet, LM, and Modified, Comp-N-Choke, but will use only one of them, probably the skeet and just shoot and practice with that one.

Skeet choke: 20 yards and under

Light modified: 21-30 yards

Modified: 31 yards and out

This is based on the chokes you have chose.

If you can hit everything with a modified. You can hit it with the more open chokes. I've been shooting modified with skeet for some time now.

I have some Briley companion tubes in .410 I use in our company skeet league. Our league is handicapped (kinda like a company golf league, so the so-so guys have a chance against the good shooters) and you get a slightly bigger handicap if you use a smaller gauge.

I'm no skeet shooter, that's for sure, but I finshed this league with an 86% average with the .410.

I have some Briley companion tubes in .410 I use in our company skeet league. Our league is handicapped (kinda like a company golf league, so the so-so guys have a chance against the good shooters) and you get a slightly bigger handicap if you use a smaller gauge.

I'm no skeet shooter, that's for sure, but I finshed this league with an 86% average with the .410.

Sounds like a skeet shooter to me.