R-1 B**** Question

mitch98

Hey guy's,

I need some more advice. I finally got my R-1 with a Leupold, VX-3 on it. The only problem I'm having is how to mount a Bi-Pod on it. I thought it would be easy, but with the R-1's unusual sling mount that comes off just below the forend parallell to the barrel instead of like most rifles with the mounting point coming down perpendicular to the forend/barrel. Is there a special mount made just for R-1's or will I have to modify something? I've been e-mailing a bunch of Bi-Pod manufacturers with my problem all to no avail.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Edited by mitch98

Harris has a couple of options that you can consider.

If it's synthetic furniture, I'd look at using the HB2R Flange Nut mount.

http://tinyurl.com/po6on6

it will work on wood too, but Benelli doesn't leave too much wood in that forearm, so I'd be concerned about it splitting under recoil.

If it's wood, I'd probably go with the barrel clamp HB4

http://tinyurl.com/rxjfon

/forum filters are blocking i-p-o-d.

Edited by tucker301

Tucker,

Thanks for the info. I ordered the Harris HB4 universal mount yesterday. Thanks again.

Mike

Harris has a couple of options that you can consider.

If it's synthetic furniture, I'd look at using the HB2R Flange Nut mount.

http://tinyurl.com/po6on6

it will work on wood too, but Benelli doesn't leave too much wood in that forearm, so I'd be concerned about it splitting under recoil.

If it's wood, I'd probably go with the barrel clamp HB4

http://tinyurl.com/rxjfon

/forum filters are blocking i-p-o-d.

Tucker,

Is it safe to use HB4 clamp? As far as I understood it mounts directly on the barrel and may cause barrel damage? Also, can you explain how to mount HB2R Flange Nut mount on a forearm? Glue, 3M tape, screws? What is your opinion about what b**** to use? Is it possible to mount Harry's b**** without damaging forearm or barrel?

Thanks in advance,

Andrey

Safe? Yes.

Barrel scratching? Maybe.

If I were to use the forearm clamp I would carefully cut out a recess in the interior of the forearm to accommodate the mounting plate.

I would then epoxy the plate in place.

Again, I would only use this mount on a synthetic forearm.

Thanks Tucker.

Few more things. I think if using HB4 clamp it's necessary to remove the clamp every time you disassemble the rifle?! Because the clamp mounts on the barrel and in order to take the forearm off you need to slide it out? What do you think: is it possible just to put a screw into the forearm and then attach a bi-pod? Will it hold the bi-pod securely?

IIRC, the forearm only needs to slide forward a short distance to be removed.

As long as the clamp is installed far enough forward, the forearm should be removable.

A better solution for a rifle like the R1 may be use set of shooting sticks or other portable.

If the bi-pod is wanted for bench shooting, then it's just a matter of using a decent bag instead.

I like the Caldwell Tackdriver.

I agree with you Tucker. I just inspected my synthetic forearm and found it's too thin to put a screw in it. Also, I'm not a fan of putting anything on a barrel, especially bi-pod. I think I will just buy Stoney Point tri-pod for hunting and will be using bags for bench practice.

• 7 months later...

The barrel clamp from Harris will not, in general, mess upo the barrel, but there's an extra step you can take to ensure this, which is to put a thin piece of plastic or soft material inside the clamps where they will touch the barrel.

A better solution is shooting sticks. There are lots of these out there, monopods, b****s, and tr****s, with all sorts of adjustments that can be made, and they work quite well. A little practice goes a long way, simulating how you will actually shoot.

Uncle Russ