M4 surefire M80

jhedge05

Unobtainium,

I'll let you know within a day about the 600. I have to weigh if it is worth the trouble since I want to get the Larue mount and I need the tape switch tail cap. I'm leaning to go tan too.

Anyone know how to disassemble the pistol grip?

Cool, just let me know. Wish I still had my tape-switch for you. I think they suck so I sold it a long time ago.

Here is some cool stuff I found out tonight. I found out that the rubberized pistol grip simply pulls off of the plastic stock. Inside is a solid core that is hollow.

What this means is I don't need Ranger bands, or any kind of straps to hold the tape switch to the pistol grip. What I'm going to do is cut a recessed spot into the stock where I want the switch. This spot will only be as thick as the tape switch. I only have to carve out 0.10" deep. The thickness of the stock is 0.24" thick.

Once this is done, the tape switch can be seated into the cut area and the rubber grip will slip over the pad. Without cutting the slot, the grip would be too tight on the switch, and would activate the light.

I'm still plotting a good path for the wire channel. I'm waiting on some tech data from Surefire. I'm seeing if they'll sell me a method to install a disconnect from the stock to the receiver.

Is there room to mount it with the clamp/screw side positioned between the tube and barrel; basically upside down from the way you have it pictured?

There is not room to mount it with the flange between the tubes. You can rotate it some to position the light in relation to the barrel.

my M80 has had no problems 300+ rounds. ive also inquired about the issues but they seem to not be wide-spread and originate from older productions (and also had relatively easy home fixes).

buy one. its US made too. and then put one of these...

http://www.surefire.com/L5-LumaMax

and one of these

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=209

and if you want to be superhyphy, put an aimpoint mini on top the reciever, and on the left side of the handguard so that if you have to shoot with the stock over yer shoulder in tight quarters, you'll have a red dot still. lol.

oh i forgot:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/923843934/Non-Guns/Miscellaneous/37mm_Flare_Launcher.htm

my M80 has had no problems 300+ rounds. ive also inquired about the issues but they seem to not be wide-spread and originate from older productions (and also had relatively easy home fixes).

buy one. its US made too. and then put one of these...

http://www.surefire.com/L5-LumaMax

and one of these

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=209

and if you want to be superhyphy, put an aimpoint mini on top the reciever, and on the left side of the handguard so that if you have to shoot with the stock over yer shoulder in tight quarters, you'll have a red dot still. lol.

oh i forgot:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/923843934/Non-Guns/Miscellaneous/37mm_Flare_Launcher.htm

As a former owner of an L5 lumamax, allow me to assure you that there are MUCH better lights available for the money.

The biggest negative about the M80 is comfort. I tried a dozen different combination's of ladder and rail covers. Nothing came close to the comfort of the factory handguards.

Crowding your hand with a rail mounted item(s) = Fail.

I don't like the current handguard options. While I'd like to have a 6 o'clock rail (I toy around with the idea of using a Sig STOPLITE or something like that to make the shotgun easier to maneuver, since I can't adjust length-of-pull without paying $700+ for a skeleton stock) I find little fault, functionally, with the stock handguards. IMHO, the other options out there are too expensive for what little they offer in features and ergonomics.

As far as rail systems, I think the best option out there right now is the Sidearmor rail system. The price is prohibitive for many, and it doesn't have full-cross-section rails; but it gives you rails at 12, 9*, and 3* o-clock positions and a shell-carrier* (*optional) as well as allows you to continue to use the stock handguards.

Because I haven't got $400 to throw around on accessory mounts for my $1600 shotgun, the clamp mentioned above would give similar capability at a more affordable price. The promise of a mil-spec rail from CarrierComp is also very tempting.

I just wish someone would bring out US-made replacement handguards for this shotgun at an affordable price. These things could be done so much better, and be offered so much cheaper. I think that manufacturers just don't see a market for the M4. At least, not one they want to take a chance on if they can't make more than $100 profit on each unit.

The bottom rail is the only benefit of the M80. If you intend to run a FVG, it is probably the only way to go. If you intend to hold the weapon by the forearm area, it flat out sucks.

When adding the weight of the rail covers to the M80, it weighs about the same as t he Sidearmor top rail.

The Sidearmor rail could be improved upon though. The trouble with running a true spec picatinny rail and an entire top rail is the too tall relative to the height of the iron sights.

So what I advise is "whoever" makes the top rail should replace the rear iron sights, and provide a riser for the front sight to return it to a proper height. The rear sight would then bolt to the new rail. This spot would be milled off so there were no picatinny rails. Provide longer bolts and screws to extend through the new top rail. This would offer additional support to the top rail also since the rear sight is mounted on a much thicker part of the receiver. This would only add approximately .15 ~ .20 inches of height to the sights, so it wouldn't affect your use of the iron sights very much.

I haven't thought up a quick fix for the front sight though. Since the front sight itself has a threaded end that the 5.5mm nut attaches to. Adding a riser beneath the sight "hood" or providing a replacement "hood" that had the riser in it would not allow you to use the threads on the bottom of the sight.

The side rails of the Sidearmor are well thought out. They have an index groove that retains the rail in place. However, they are not true spec picatinny rails either. Their shell carrier on the side is very functional. I was quite impressed with it. It was far easier to use than the Mesa unit I previously tried. You're limited to four rounds, but it isn't cluttered and the weight is minimal. Additional rounds could be added if the top rail extended past the rear iron sight assuming an occlusion was left for the trigger group retention pin.

A proper spec rail could then be used without obstructing the sight plain.