M4 Newbie

fareast

I just joined this forum after receiving my brand new M4. The gun comes standard in this part of the world with a 2-position skeletonise stock and a full length mag-tube reduced to 2 rounds. First thing to do was to remove the reducer pin to make it 7+1.

My M4 fired up immediately with no hiccups on #8 shot and I gradually moved it up to 00 buckshot with no dramas. I'm waiting to try some super-x HP slugs on this thing but i'm not too sure.

Here's my questions for you M4 experts out there.

1. First thing I did when I got my M4 was to rack the bolt like crazy. I discovered that I cannot get the bolt to go all the way to the back (and lock it there) when:

i. the cartridge drop lever is depressed(red dot not visible)

ii. hammer is in the forward position (trigger depressed to dry firing)

iii. trigger is in 'safe' (safety on)

When my M4 satisfies these 3 conditions, i cannot fully get the bolt all the way back to lock it. Does anybody have the same problem and if so, why is this happening.

2. I can float a shell on the carrier and one in the chamber but when i cycle the round to simulate firing, the chambered round ejects but the carrier does not lift the floating shell automatically. I have to nudge the carrier slightly to get it to lift and release the bolt handle to chamber the 'ghost' round. Something feels stuck on the carrier. I've not tried this in the field for fear of a FTFeed or FTE on the shells. (don't want to mess up a new toy).

3. The stock gun comes with a Modified (III notch) Standard Benelli choke. Can I fire the Winchester Super-X HP Slugs on a Modified choke? That's what holding me back from firing the slugs that i bought ( and it's expensive too):D

Thanks you from the fareast.

Also... just to add. I'm also in the market for a flashlight and shell carriers but i need them shipped overseas. I can't the accessories over here but seems like its easier in the US. I appreciate if anyone can give me a hand here.

1. It's a design feature and not a problem.

2. Don't baby it, rip it back and let it fly. Go shoot it btw.

3. Yes, you can shoot slugs all the way through full, but MOD and "looser" is more accurate in my experience. I use a Briley MOD choke for my slug shooting, and winchester cheapy HP 1600fps slugs give me 3-4" standing, offhand groups at 50 yards.

1. It's a design feature and not a problem.

2. Don't baby it, rip it back and let it fly. Go shoot it btw.

3. Yes, you can shoot slugs all the way through full, but MOD and "looser" is more accurate in my experience. I use a Briley MOD choke for my slug shooting, and winchester cheapy HP 1600fps slugs give me 3-4" standing, offhand groups at 50 yards.

Thanks. I've got a range day tomorrow. I will definitely give it a go and let you know. As a new member to this forum I would definitely appreciate all the advice/tips i can get on how to improve the gun and my shooting.

i had a eureka moment 5 minutes ago. i floated the shell on the carrier and ripped the bolt back with vengeance and voila! the chambered shell ejected and ghost shell loaded. I guess you really need to abuse these guns to get the best out of em' .

Edited by fareast

Thanks. I've got a range day tomorrow. I will definitely give it a go and let you know. As a new member to this forum I would definitely appreciate all the advice/tips i can get on how to improve the gun and my shooting.

i had a eureka moment 5 minutes ago. i floated the shell on the carrier and ripped the bolt back with vengeance and voila! the chambered shell ejected and ghost shell loaded. I guess you really need to abuse these guns to get the best out of em' .

Yep!

The manual etc. says not to lube these things too much, but I DROWN mine in LaRue MG lube and the first outing shot STS target loads and had narry a hangup. Run it wet and they seem to do well with light loads. Heck, I run mine wet and have let it get kidna dry (never DRY, as you always want some lube on wear-points) and it still ran great. I just like to run it like I ran my AR's, lol.

Do you already have a full-length tube? I see you have a collapsible stock alredy. If you don't have the tube yet, buy one from Kip here on the forum. Titanium. Shaves 1/2# of weight off vs. the factory spacer/tube.

Yep!

The manual etc. says not to lube these things too much, but I DROWN mine in LaRue MG lube and the first outing shot STS target loads and had narry a hangup. Run it wet and they seem to do well with light loads. Heck, I run mine wet and have let it get kidna dry (never DRY, as you always want some lube on wear-points) and it still ran great. I just like to run it like I ran my AR's, lol.

Do you already have a full-length tube? I see you have a collapsible stock alredy. If you don't have the tube yet, buy one from Kip here on the forum. Titanium. Shaves 1/2# of weight off vs. the factory spacer/tube.

You are right. My M4 came with collapsible stock and factory full length 7 cartridge tube. I think the tube comes in aluminium in stock configuration. Cos' I'm not in the U.S., my gun is imported direct from Benelli Armi, Italy. From Italy, these guns don't have the magazine crimping like you see in the U.S. guns. It just comes with reducer which you can easily remove.

So far i've only ran 50 rds thru it. without any FTF. I just got it a couple of days ago. Today i'm gonna put another 100 rds thru it for good measure. I've not cleaned/lubed it since i got it and it seems a bit dry at the moment. I'll prob lube it after my range day.

Can not you just order from the united states and have it shipped to your country? or what are you exactly looking for?

i could try to do that but most commercial websites don't ship to locations outside the states. I'm looking for flashlights (the ones you can hang on the end of the mag tube) and a shell carrier like the Mesa ones. Also, maybe a military grade sling. The nylon slings i got here are hopeless. They are so thin (less than 1") i not sure when it'll break.

Also I'm not sure how legal it is to ship gun accessories into this country. The last thing I want is to pay for everything and have it confiscated by customs cos' its illegal.

Please do me a HUGE favor. Remove the spring from the magazine tube and measure it. I want to know what Benelli puts in the full-length tube FROM THE FACTORY. This would please me much!

Okay guys, First things first. I've successfully fired 9 round in succession. The floating shell works for my gun. After stripping the gun down i found out that i've got a 2 port chamber and the factory mag spring is around 24 3/4" to 25" long uncompressed.

I hope this info helps. Btw, what do you guys need the length for?

Edited by fareast

Please do me a HUGE favor. Remove the spring from the magazine tube and measure it. I want to know what Benelli puts in the full-length tube FROM THE FACTORY. This would please me much![/quote

Okay guys, First things first. I've successfully fired 9 round in succession. The floating shell works for my gun. After stripping the gun down i found out that i've got a 2 port chamber and the factory mag spring is around 24 3/4" to 25" long uncompressed.

I hope this info helps. Btw, what do you guys need the length for?

WOW!

Benelli wasn't BS-ing. They do use the same spring apparently.

We wanted to know if there was a mythical 33" factory spring.

If you can get it, try firing 3" 41 pellet #4 buckshot from Remington. Let us know if it jams, lol. If it does, talk to Kip about his spring.

WOW!

Benelli wasn't BS-ing. They do use the same spring apparently.

We wanted to know if there was a mythical 33" factory spring.

If you can get it, try firing 3" 41 pellet #4 buckshot from Remington. Let us know if it jams, lol. If it does, talk to Kip about his spring.

Is the M4 designed to take magnum rounds all the time and has anyone here ever had problems with magnum rounds?

I find it odd that a magnum #4 buckshot round will jam. I had my first FTE today at the range with #8 birdshot. I think it's just the lack of lubrication. That's why i gave it a good clean up after that. It's a dripping mess now

Also, can anyone help me ID this gun? I got it brand new from the dealer BUT i don't know how long it's been sitting there. For all I know the dealer could hve brought it in years ago and just managed to clear his stock now. The serial is a Y020***

Its just that i've been reading that some of the newer M4's out there cannot float a round in the carrier without mods. Mine does it willingly.

I'm also gonna look out for chokes too cos the long range (about 50 metres) shot pattern is pathetic. It is supposed to be like that or which chokes will help?

Is the M4 designed to take magnum rounds all the time and has anyone here ever had problems with magnum rounds?

I find it odd that a magnum #4 buckshot round will jam. I had my first FTE today at the range with #8 birdshot. I think it's just the lack of lubrication. That's why i gave it a good clean up after that. It's a dripping mess now

Also, can anyone help me ID this gun? I got it brand new from the dealer BUT i don't know how long it's been sitting there. For all I know the dealer could hve brought it in years ago and just managed to clear his stock now. The serial is a Y020***

Its just that i've been reading that some of the newer M4's out there cannot float a round in the carrier without mods. Mine does it willingly.

I'm also gonna look out for chokes too cos the long range (about 50 metres) shot pattern is pathetic. It is supposed to be like that or which chokes will help?

Run some Remington 3" OOO Buck with the factory MOD choke and at 50m I think you will be impressed. However, 50M really is slug territory.

The recoil of the #4 buck 3" remington round is STOUT! This, coupled with an under-sized (the M1S90 had a 37" or so mag-tube spring for It's 7-shot tube...) mag spring, the inertia of recoil and the weight of the last round in the mag-tube causes hang-ups.

My last M4 (and this one) handle 3" magnum rounds just fine. You will have a bit more carbon under the handguards, and of course more wear/tear, but nothing untoward. It was made to take it and I would run them without pause if you have the desire.

These don't require much lube, although I love lubing the **** out of my weapons. My bet is that you limp-wristed the shotgun slightly or weren't leaning into it and the #8 you picked is possibly one of the lower dram rounds out there.

Remove your stock. If you see 4 notches on the left side of the tube, it is a newer 11707 (the second to last notch is only used for INSTALLATION of the col. stock, not adjustment, but you know this).

All M4's ghost load as far as I am aware.